This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes a good CSM?

Don't bother talking to a CSM cause most times they can't really do anything significant. They're just glorified cashiers. OR cashiers with more responsibility. They don't earn much more than any other cashier so therefore they might act like their shit don't stink BUT it does-TRUST ME...lol.
    In my time at Wal-Mart I ran into some really good CSM's who didn't let the position swell their heads. Most others went out on a power trip & made damn sure you knew about it too.
    A few times people asked me if I was interested in being a CSM. You know what I said? I said.."I wouldn't be a CSM even IF an assistant manager got on the ground & kissed my ass!".
    That didn't go over too well but I didn't care.
    The really good CSM's that I encountered busted their asses to do a thankless job. They were right there "in the line of fire" at the mercy of nasty customers who 9 times out of 10 wanted somebody more powerfull than a CSM to resolve their problems. The good CSM's didn't let jerkwad customers intimidate them.
    The bad CSM's bent over backwards & kissed the nasty customers asses & then made you look like an idiot simply for following procedures that they disregarded simply to please the sons-of-bitches.
    I'm not saying that ALL CSM's are bad. But that the ones who are bad overshadow the ones who are good.
    It always seemed that some cashiers who weren't CSM's & sometimes were asked to be a temp CSM for a day or so were actually better than the CSM's that they were covering! & when asked if they wanted to be a permanent CSM they'd look at you in horror & say .."Oh Hell No!"..lol.
    Just my 2 cents.

A CSM's power and responsibility varies a great deal from company to company. One thing I've realized from reading this board: Walmart does everything back-asswards when dealing with their employees. Corporate seems to keep everyone, including the store general managers, on a tight leash.

The CSM at my grocery store is given god-like powers to deal with customer complaints. Her word is gospel. Everyone likes and respects her, employees and (decent) customers alike.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

I've only got issues with one CSM at my store

but most of what our CSMs do is run around doing stuff that they can't trust just anyone who may happen to get hired to do ethically, I don't even see CSMs with customers very much, salaried management at my store has said to call them if someone is being abusive

Comment

I agree that in the most part, CSM's are glorified cashiers. I really like the CSM's I work with, or at least the ones I work the most with. They are very respectful, and to be honest three of them are becoming some of my very best friends- I understand they have a right to tell me what to do, and I should listen, they understand they aren't the shit and work with us.

The CSM's at our store keep track of the schedule, do price-checks, carry-outs, closing registers, or basic over-rides, that like AKWalMartCartGuy said are the kind of thing they don't want to take the chance just anyone could do.

I do have a huge problem with one of our over-night CSMs, who makes it very clear he hates his job, and loves to act like a gossipy highschool girl.
        "I just figured you would be terrified, and I would be sarcastic about it."

Comment

Working...
        X