X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When friends get fired...

How do you cope?

A friend of mine was fired on Tuesday morning. He was already on written warning from previous offenses, and he NCNS'ed because he didn't want to do his overtime. So yes, according to policy, they had every right to fire him. I'm not denying that. I am pissed that they didn't just fire him Sunday night though, and drug it on for two days.

Anyways, I've had a few friends get fired or quit throughout my tenure at the factory. It gets me thinking about how hard it is. Even if these people aren't your best friends, even if you are only "work friends", sometimes the only thing that ever kept me sane was just seeing my friends at work. It also helps that some of my friends work my shift in my immediate area. I don't know how the hell I would have stayed sane for so long if none of them worked with me.

It's going to be so hard. On nights where trainees are driving me insane or the war with the room runners is reaching Iwo Jima proportions, sometimes just seeing a friendly face and talking to my friends makes it all better.

This sucks.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

I can't give a whole lot of good advice here, unfortunately.

For me, something similar happened at the end of November. Work friend, the person I relied on for help with the network, was let go. Arguably, either I or my manager should have been the one to be fired (the reasons involved here could take a huge retelling in and of themselves).

And yet, it was him. A couple weeks later, another member of the department screwed up, and he was let go. This was in a department with 6 people, including the manager.

To say it was stressful would be an understatement. I did the only thing I could do: Plod on, and hope for things to improve. When they continued to deteriorate, I went and found a new job.

I wish I had better advice, I really do. All I can tell you is to hope for things to improve.

Comment

NCNS ... ouch ... while on write-up.

Well, normally I'd say hope that management hires someone cool to replace them. In your case, Blas, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Just remind yourself: it's just a job. This is NOT your life. Your life is OUTSIDE the job.
      "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

I know maras

This guy was just a work friend. We didn't hang out much outside of work. But I still considered him a good friend. And he was well liked by everyone.
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I haven't had any friends get fired(although one is trying to) but I did have a "work friend" quit(he had an active coaching, and if you dont handle the cold well you will have issues pushing carts in alaska in the winter) leaving it at 2 people to push carts(NOTE:that part wasn't his fault, he informed the store and co managers of his decision to quit a week before he officially turned in his 2 weeks notice, they ran 2 orientation classes in that time) in the holiday season, so I didn't really have time to think about it, but if you miss them that much track them down and be friends outside of work. there has to be someone else you can talk to at work

I did get lucky and they since hired cool people to replace him, but I get along with almost everyone

Comment

Working friends being gone is always tough. I had one that came on after me, so he was still new, despite him being there for over 2 years. He was let go because he messed up on an order. Not his fault. The sups were always speeding up the machines and belts. Even if they are suppose to be at a certain speed to work just right. Other people should have been fired instead of the coworker. But they weren't.
            Under The Moon Paranormal Research
            San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Ouch. That's always tough. And hard to deal with when it's their own fault.

I've had both my brother and my boyfriend get fired from the place I work.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you to get a kick-ass coworker that that sticks around for a while sometime in the near future.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Blas is definitely due a GOOD hire soon.
                "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Working...
                X