Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wow, this will probably never happen again in my life....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, this will probably never happen again in my life....

So, routine call today.

White Chevy Tahoe, parked in a no-parking zone downtown. So I head out, pull into the lot, do the prefunctory check for permits/stickers, find none, check the license plate (municipal/police/emergency vehicles don't get towed) it's a standard PA plate. Ok, he's gone, hook it up and go, drop it at the shop and head out for my next call.

About 10 minutes later, my other driver calls me on the radio, he just got flagged down by a guy named "Harry" who says he's the owner of the Tahoe, and furthermore says that it's an undercover police vehicle. Since I'm the shift controller, I carry a cell, none of the other drivers do, so I take "Harry's" number and call him up.

I apologize , and tell him If I'd had known, I'd have left it alone since it didn't have telltale plates. He says it's no problem, I radio my driver and ask if "Harry" has a badge or ID that cleary states he's a law enforcement officer, my driver says he does. I tell him to go ahead and drive "Harry" back to the shop and release the vehicle.

Later in the evening, I get a chance to talk to my driver face-to-face, I ask him what agency "Harry" was with, expecting the State Police, or maybe a Sheriff's Deputy....

"Harry" was an FBI agent..........

That's right, I towed the Feds My name is probably on a list now somewhere.
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Ooops.

Oh well, guess who won't be shedding a tear because some cop didn't want to follow the law?
    "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

At least he was cool about it.
      Answers are easy...it is asking the right questions which is hard.

Comment

What better way to maintain cover than to have your vehicle towed from a no parking zone?

Comment

Quoth Gerrinson View Post
          What better way to maintain cover than to have your vehicle towed from a no parking zone?
          My thoughts exactly, now the bad guys could relax because no fed would be that stupid on getting their car towed...right...right?

Comment

Unless he was going to the vehicle to chase after someone...

D'oh!

Comment

That apparently got to be such a problem in DC (our spooks chasing their spooks chasing the third guy's spooks, but getting towed when the ran in a building to tail a suspect) that the security agencies got green dots placed inconspicuously on their tags. I actually imagine this happens all the time to FBI agents--frequently in new places, with their attention on their job and not on the local parking restrictions. I do suggest checking on Harry if he calls in sick, though.

Comment

Quoth Gerrinson View Post
                Exactly. And now there's no doubt that this particular undercover car doesn't stand out or look suspect in any way. The FBI guy I dated would have gotten a kick out of that one.

Comment

Quoth Finance Gopher View Post
                  That apparently got to be such a problem in DC (our spooks chasing their spooks chasing the third guy's spooks, but getting towed when the ran in a building to tail a suspect) that the security agencies got green dots placed inconspicuously on their tags. I actually imagine this happens all the time to FBI agents--frequently in new places, with their attention on their job and not on the local parking restrictions. I do suggest checking on Harry if he calls in sick, though.
                  Green dots, eh? Hmmm... I'd keep my eyes open to spot them, and put green dots on my tags, except they probably have a list they call in to check them out. Darn.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                  X