X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Going to Risk Losing My Job So You Can Get Your Way

NOT!

Simply put, my company has two policies which I needed to enforce today.

1. Never ever ring up a credit card sale unless the cardholder has the actual card in hand. Numbers on a piece of paper with the expiration date do not count.

2. Stores may NOT process telephone orders. That's why our website and 877 number exist.

The reason that both of these rules exist is to combat identity theft as it is related to credit card fraud.

Well, the irate SC on the phone could not get that through her head.

We had a woman and her daughter come in looking to make a purchase. The woman asked an associate if she could use her mom's card number. The associate came to me, I ascertained from him that they did not have the card. I told him to tell them no and went about my business.

Well, evidently they called the grandmother on the woman's cellphone to let her know that we couldn't accept the card. I then the cellphone handed to me by the little girl.

"My grandmother wants to speak to you," she says.

So I take the phone and repeatedly try to explain rule #1. Then she says, "Well, I'm giving my permission." This invokes rule #2. I tell her at least three times that these are anti-fraud measures.

"But I don't understand, I've ordered from other stores and... blah blah blah..."

I AGAIN tell her its an anti-fraud policy instituted by the company and I have no power to change that policy.

She goes on about how she has lived in the city where I work for a very long time and how her husband is a prominent lawyer and so on and so forth. Then proceeds to tell me how the company I work for, a GLOBAL company with retail outlets in North America, Europe, Japan, Australia, Russia, and Southeast Asia mind you, will never get very far in the world. I still don't bend and then she finally asks for the number of someone higher up the chain. I give her corporate's main number we conclude our call.

I then apologize to the woman and her daughter, who were much cooler about it than the grandmother. Afterwards, I get on the phone to my boss and the other assistant manager to give them a heads up. They back up my decision, and I then e-mail our district manager to give him the heads up so he doesn't get blindsided by this if the woman on the phone tells a different story.
    "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Quoth Mike Taylor View Post
    She goes on about how she has lived in the city where I work for a very long time and how her husband is a prominent lawyer and so on and so forth.
    And of course, since she told you all this, you must now accept her at her word, over the phone, and violate company policy.

This is comparable to people who try to purchase drinks from me, I ask for ID, and either they say "I'm old enough, trust me" or their parents say "They're old enough, we'll vouch for them."

Well, the State of Florida does not take people's word, or that of their parents, on being of letgal age for purchasing alcohol, and I am guessing your company has an equally dim view of employees violating their policy because a customer told them "it was okay" or that they were "giving their permission."

WHY?!? WON'T?!? THEY?!? UNDERSTAND?!?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

I think there are a couple of factors at play here.

1. This lady is wealthy. Sometimes even a moderate amount of wealth causes people to detach from reality, especially if for whatever reason they didn't have to earn it.

2. She is used to being a big fish in a small pond. She thinks that somehow her husband's prominence in the city of Naples means that she should get what she wants. That won't move me. My customers have included movie stars, musicians, prominent national politicians, Arab princes, and pro baseball players. ALL of them, without exception, were less demanding and more understanding than this woman.
      Last edited by Mike Taylor; 09-05-2006, 06:38 AM. Reason: Tightening up some grammar errors.
      "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Or, she was being a typical entitlement whore, who thinks that the world revolves around her. I've had people from the bottom rung trying to force me to change store policy on their sayso, so it can't be those things all the time.
        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Or she was a scam artist who didn't like the fact that I wasn't going to play her game. The whys are largely irrelevant. No is no. I think we can agree on that.

Comment

I used to love all the people who would call us on the phone, looking for some movie or other.
            M: "Well, we can order it."
            Phone: "Okay, my credit card number is..."
            M: "Hold on, time out! In store. No phone orders."

And then, they'd freak that their card numbers were printed out on the signature slip.

Make up your minds, people, you're either paranoid about your credit card, or you're not.
            "I call murder on that!"

Comment

UPDATE:

Me and My Employer: 1
              Nasty Grandma on the Phone: 0

Comment

UPDATE:

Me and My Employer: 1
                Nasty Grandma on the Phone: 0
                Does this mean she complained and got shot down?

Comment

Yeah, don't leave it like that. We want details!
                  People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                  My DeviantArt.

Comment

Well, it's been 72 hours and no e-mails or anything from corporate or the district managers saying I'm in trouble. So it's all good.

Comment

Well, it's been 72 hours and no e-mails or anything from corporate or the district managers saying I'm in trouble. So it's all good.
                      Just wait till she goes to the press and exposes your company for what it really is!!! *cue scary music and wolf howl*

Comment

Highly doubtful. In any case, we have instructions on what to do if the press comes calling for any reason.

Comment

Agh, I get that all the time when someone says they can't pay for meds, and wants me to take a card over the phone. No! a thousand times no! The other person can walk into another Walgreens, put their card on the patient's file for automatic payment, but I cannot take it over the phone. Kills me.
                          The only time I have was for an elderly lady that has filled with us pretty much since the store opened and was in an accident that totalled her car, and she was unable to come get her scripts and didn't have anyone who could go get them for her, so I took her card over the phone and brought the pills over after my shift. She cried, it was wierd. How crappy does your life have to be that something that small could make you cry like that?

Comment

Working...
                          X