This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My workplace experiment

Here's the set-up. There's a small wicker basket on my desk. I don't know why. It used to have a toy in it which has since disappeared. But so many people thought it had candy in it that I finally turned the basket upside-down on my desk so no one would bother it.

However, my mischievious side has surfaced. I taped a note to the top of the basket, clearly saying "Do Not Lift", and left the basket turned upside down on the desk. (With the approval of my boss, heh heh.) Underneath, I have simply placed a handwritten note..."Thank you for participating in my experiment.

So, I'm going to start taking a tally of everyone who comes in and visibly notices the basket. Anyone who looks at it and doesn't lift it (or just asks about it) gets one mark. Anyone who lifts it up despite the sign gets another mark.

So, anyone want to lay a bet on what percentage of the people who come in and notice the basket lift it up to see what is underneath?
    "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Depends on if you're sitting there or not. Yes, probably half, no, three-quarters. People get more curious when they think they're not being watched.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I would say that anyone who hasn't lifted it up, or anyone who hasn't heard about the note underneath. Maybe you can change the note every once in a while, to liven things up.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

my experiment in common courtesy...

One pet peeve of mine is when people leave their baskets in front of the register...some just dropping them instead of setting them on the floor.

Sometimes, people would ask where they went, and I'd point to the exit door before the breezeway/vestibule.

Some would just drop them full and have me empty them. Now, with these people, I test my theory on whether or not they could simply drop them off while leaving the store. I'd state that probably half do, half don't...even when the place to drop off baskets is like 5 steps away!

Most of the time I'd have to ask for the basket, just to keep my work area neat. People are so lazy on giving us foodstuffs to return to shelf that I once found meat in one of the pop coolers in front...well, at least they kept the product cool.
        HI, I'M NEW TO ALL OF THIS wave of approval ™©®

Comment

Quoth staticradio View Post
          One pet peeve of mine is when people leave their baskets in front of the register...some just dropping them instead of setting them on the floor.
          I always leave my hand basket at the end of the belt, on the floor, at the grocery store, but that's because if I'm using the hand basket, I'm going to be walking home, with both arms full of groceries, so I'm not gonna be able to put it back on my way out, and I'm not gonna leave the till with all my groceries to go put it back either.
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Well, after four days, I gave up on the experiment. Why?

A grand total of three people even noticed the damn basket. People actually bumped into it without noticing it, let alone doing anything with it.

My conclusion after this experiment?

Hanging a sign on the basket rendered it invisible to the SC eye.

So, maybe on Tuesday when I go back to work, I'll take the sign off and just leave the basket upside-down. Maybe that'll have an effect.
            "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

That gives me an idea for an experiment (or is it prank) of my own. I'll put a bunch of chocolate laxatives in a container with a big sign saying "Laxatives: Do Not Eat" and leave it on my desk. Since my coworkers are so SCish anyways, they're sure to stuff their faces without reading the sign.
              "I don't have an anger problem I have an idiot problem!" - Hank Hill

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run around in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Comment

Just put sugar-free chocolate in there. If they pig out, they will spend time on the throne. Or, at the very least, be filled with the worst intestinal gas they've every experienced. Eat one or two, you'll probably be okay. Eat three, you're pushing it. Eat 5 or more, well, you'll probably fly around the room like a balloon.

Malitol syrup, the sweetening agent in sugar free candy. It's the double edged sword of low carbers and diabetics everywhere!

Comment

Quoth Ringtail Z28 View Post
                  That gives me an idea for an experiment (or is it prank) of my own. I'll put a bunch of chocolate laxatives in a container with a big sign saying "Laxatives: Do Not Eat" and leave it on my desk. Since my coworkers are so SCish anyways, they're sure to stuff their faces without reading the sign.
                  Heh... nice way around the 'food tampering' thing mentioned in another thread. You're telling them exactly what it is, and warning them not to take it. If they do, they don't have a leg to stand on.
                  ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                  And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

I think you have discovered a new Rule of Business. I propose:
                    "Posting a sign or instruction placard on an object
                    renders said object invisible"
                    "Them boys ain't zombies! They're just stupid!"

Comment

So if you posted a sign on yourself, you'd be invisible!?

Comment

Nah. That falls under the "nametag" clause, unfortunately...

Comment

Quoth gundam40 View Post
                          So if you posted a sign on yourself, you'd be invisible!?
                          Well... I wear a nametag at work and people still will look straight at me and ask my name.
                          "Them boys ain't zombies! They're just stupid!"

Comment

Quoth Salesmonkey View Post
                            Well... I wear a nametag at work and people still will look straight at me and ask my name.
                            Then the tag disappear, that's a start, you will have to be smaller or get a bigger tag to disappear completely .

Comment

Working...
                            X