X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more Walton Family

well, I've quit Walmart.

Thursday night I had a pretty severe panic attack, to the point I was afraid I'd hurt myself. I called Friday to tell them I'd be late because I was waiting for a call from my therapist about my medication. I was crying...manager is just like "just don't be too late" and practically hangs up on me and he is obviously pissed off. I had already decided by then I couldn't stay there too much longer, but by the end of the day yesterday I'd decided that I'm done. And I'm not even calling them. They forfeited their right to a notice when they shared my personal medical note, accused me of lying about appointments, consistently ignored my availability, allowed a customer to abuse me over a dime and then forced me to get back on register even after I panicked, blamed me for customer thefts I had no control over, left me alone at the cigarette registers so I couldn't get a break until the register locked me out (several times)...

I'm going back to only working at JoAnn's.

Holy sh!t, that sucks. =( I know what it's like to have panic attacks at work - I don't think mine are as severe as yours, but they still caused me to drop my Sunday shift (9 hours on the busiest day of the week - waaay to stressful).
    I wouldn't bother calling, either - what are they gonna do? Seriously, if I'd been treated the way you describe, there'd be hell to pay.
    *hugs* Sorry you had to go through that. =(
    God made me a cannibal to fix problems like you. - Angelspit, '100%'

I'm sorry, I'm not authorised to give a f**k.

Comment

They forfeited their right to a notice when they shared my personal medical note,

That's illegal, you know. That's confidential info. I'm not sure who you would call about a thing like that, but you might ask the nurses at your doctor's office. I think sharing medical stuff of employees ought to be reported.

Anyway, good for you for leaving. I would submit to everyone here that your lives would be quite a bit less stressful if you simply kept in mind that you can always get another job, and that if your employer is doing you a favor by employing you, you are doing an equal favor by working for him. It goes both ways. I'm glad you didn't feel the need to stay on at a place that treats you in such an insensitive manner. Maybe now you will be free to find something that suits you better, and will cause you less stress.

I used to hold onto crappy jobs like Grim Death, because I thought I had to. Take it from me...you don't. I promise you. If more people realized this, the state of being employed would improve for everyone, simply because employers would lose too many employess if they didn't treat them right.

Good luck!

Comment

How is Joann's to work for?

I quit Wally-World this spring, too. I was going to hang in there until I found something else. Unfortunately, I hated the job (not the company) so much I literally had no energy to look for something else in my time off.

ETA: I found another job fairly quickly, but it's seasonal, and that season is just about over.

Comment

Oh wait a minute!!!!

Walmart NEVER EVER treats its workers like THAT!!!! They ALWAYS pay good, competitive wages, have excellent work environments, AND they're great for the economy! I have no clue as to why there are people bashing Walmart and trying to stop them from putting up a Superstore on every street corner in the entire country. You know what it is???? It's the unions that are causing the problems, NOT Walmart.

BTW You think they'll pay me a cool million to use this next time they need to "issue a statement" for NBC Nightly News???

Comment

Actually, I'm pretty ok with my job at Wal-Mart. Sure, it's not what I want to do forever, but it's not terrible.

But sorry you got treated so crappy.

Comment

You are doing what I used to do, running away from the issue. You don't want to deal with the confrontation of them divulging your personal medical history, so you are just leaving. That is exactly what they want.

Trust me on this one, even if you quit, continue to push the issue with management. Even sight it as a reason for leaving. Trust me, I look back on situations like yours and wish to God I would have stood up for myself.

In our society, we are taught the employer is some almight entity that you dare not anger. That we are all just clogs in a machine and your life will be ruined if you cross the employer. You have got to quit thinking that. You are not powerless. You are a person and trust me, there are many many many people out there to help you in a situation like this. It isn't you versuse Wal-Mart. It is Wal-Mart versus federal laws and lawyers. Learn to start standing up for your life and you won't have to keep going to therapy.

I used to do the whole therapy/anxiety thing. But it was just masking my "fear" of confrontation. Once you confront someone and learn to stand on your own two feet and learn that confrontation isn't a scary thing, life gets so much better. Learn to come out fighting, you will be much happier.

Comment

Working...
              X