Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > General Work Chat

Closed Thread

RB's Rules for Job Interviews
Old 09-11-2006, 03:49 AM
Sniper

Default RB's Rules for Job Interviews

Okay so I did 3 interviews in the last 2 days... I've done 6 in the last two weeks... These are some things I've noticed with Job hunters that really piss me off. I thought this was common sense... I thought that everyone job hunted like me... I thought wrong... This is what I've encountered in the last 2-3 weeks...

1. Dress Appropriately!! This means No Jeans, No Sweatshirts or T-shirts, ill-fitting blouses where it looks like the buttons are going to pop off and hurt me. No stained clothing. NO FLIP FLOPS! You are dressing to impress.

2. BRING A RESUME AND REFERENCES!!! In fact bring several. I cannot stress this enough! If I hear one more person say. "Well ain't nobody told me to bring one!" I am going to scream.

3. Check your references! Please ask your references what they're going to say about you before you add them! Nothing's more frustrating to me and moreso embarassing for you to have a reference spill your deepest darkest work secrets. Like coming to work drunk or not coming to work at all...

4. SHOW UP! If you can't make it, or you're going to be late, please phone us! Nothing irritates me more than waiting an hour for nothing.

5. Don't bring family to the job interview. This includes, but does not limit itself to: parents, grandparents, kids, wife, husband, and friends. I understand you may need a cheering squad. But Krikey I don't need to know they exist. Can they wait in the car?

6. Fill out all paperwork handed to you. You'd think this was common sense - but it's not... <sigh>

7. If I ask you. "Do you have any questions?" Don't say "No." At least show some interest in me and my company.

8. Come prepared! I always carried a hardback portfolio with me. With a pen, some blank paper to take notes during the interview, and extra resumes, a list of references, and reference letters. I always had my own pen. So should you. And so help me god if you ask for the yellowpages to look up a reference #.

9. Follow up! If you don't have reference #s or your SIN # and you tell me you're going to phone me by the end of the day with the numbers. I will expect you to phone me by the end of the day. Please do. Because if you don't I'm going to assume you don't want the job.

10. If we hire you... Please show up!

Old 09-11-2006, 07:55 AM
Yes, I am A REAL GHOST HUNTER

A couple of things.

1) The resumes. I always have mine with me, and every interview, I had, only a couple of them asked for one.

2) The reason, they might not ask any questions, might be because they are nervous.

Not trying to hate, on you or this post, just letting you know.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:23 AM
Bookkeeper

Quote:
Quoth powerboy View Post
2) The reason, they might not ask any questions, might be because they are nervous.
Or you might have already answered every question they had prepared.

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Old 09-11-2006, 11:22 AM
Sniper

Quote:
Quoth powerboy View Post
A couple of things.

1) The resumes. I always have mine with me, and every interview, I had, only a couple of them asked for one.

It doesn't matter...
These are online applicants. The resumes are emailed to my DM. I never see the resumes. It'd sure as heck be nice to have one on me. I ALWAYS brought mine. It doesn't hurt anything, and as for #2. I ALWAYS had a list of about 10 questions to ask just in case. and I mean it could be anything... Like "Are you guys part of walmart..." Or anything dammit. It shows me you're trying at least. Mind you considering the 6 people I interviewed are also guilty of the other 8 things on the list. So there was no hope for them from the get-go.

I still can't get over the fact that she wore FLIP FLOPS to the interview. *shakes head...

Old 09-11-2006, 12:33 PM
Pinball Wizard

Quote:
Quoth Retail's Bitch View Post
...the 6 people I interviewed are also guilty of the other 8 things on the list. So there was no hope for them from the get-go.

I still can't get over the fact that she wore FLIP FLOPS to the interview.
I had one guy show up looking like he had just mowed his lawn. Shorts, tank top, gungy sneakers. At least he didn't smell like it.

Had another guy show up twenty minutes late, then be surprised that I wouldn't interview him. Hey, there's only one person here. If you'll be late for an interview, you'll be late for work... and if I'm on duty, I want to go home after you show up.

Last edited by Ree; 09-14-2006 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Excessive quoting

Old 09-12-2006, 02:07 AM
Optical Prime

There is absolutely NO excuse for not bringing your resume to an interview. NONE. What the hell is wrong with people?!?

Old 09-12-2006, 02:28 AM
Dodge this!

I get so nervous during interviews that I don't ask questions, because I'm afraid they will be stupid questions.

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:36 AM
Pinball Wizard

If you're nervous, one question that works is either "Can you tell me more about the job/company?" or (if the job is a fairly basic one) "Is there anything specific I need to know about the position or your company?" It's a general purpose question that shows interest, and could lead to other questions.

And if they get shirty on you over something that basic, you know that you may want to try the place down the road instead.

Old 09-13-2006, 02:19 AM
Sniper

Quote:
Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
And if they get shirty on you over something that basic, you know that you may want to try the place down the road instead.
You're right. It is basic, and if a person gets that flustered over a simple job interview question, they'd never last in my portrait studio. I have customers get 500% more hostile than anyone would ever dream I could. And if someone can't handle me asking simple, basic interview questions, my customers would eat them alive.

I don't think I'm being unreasonable in wanting applicants that dress well and come prepared. I made this list based on my own job hunting experiences - and interviewing people in the last week. When I'd go to a job interview - damn right that I'd research it and have questions prepared. Of course I'd bring spare resumes. I always prepared for any possibility. I don't think it's too much to ask for a person who's trying to sell themselves make sure that the 'product' is up to par.

If a person can't sell themselves, then they don't have a snowball's chance in hell of selling any portraits in my studio. If they half-ass it during the job hunt and the interview, which are the two most crucial points in first impressions, what are the chances they'd do the same at work and totally trash my sales average?!

Old 09-13-2006, 02:34 AM
Call Center Monkey

You should always have a few questions thought out that can be applied to most any interview.

I keep a folder of resumes and references in my room and I bring it to every interview.

Although I am guilty of not being on time, I always show up 5 to 10 minutes early, just to be safe.
Closed Thread