Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One Question People Never Think to Ask When Making Lodging Reservations, But Should

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Question People Never Think to Ask When Making Lodging Reservations, But Should

And that question is:

"Are there any wedding groups staying on that weekend?"

My husband and I had, in almost all respects, one of the nicest weekend getaways ever. We got to go to the beach, visit Newport, RI, ate some fabulous food and even got to go visit the Fairy Gordmother and the Gordfather,* whom we haven't seen in years.

But wedding guests, while harmless in singles or couples, are an absolute horror when found in flocks. It's like they read a handbook on how to be rude, entitled, loud and monopolizing.

So here it is:
    The Handbook of Sucky Wedding Etiquette in Hotels

Chapter 1: Feel Free to Be Rude

There's nothing wrong with leaving scraps of food and spent cigarette butts on the rail of another guest's balcony. After all you're there to celebrate love. There's just no time for common courtesy.

Chapter 2: Yes, You ARE Entitled

A need to dry damp beach towels far outweighs the need for the flowers in the windowboxes not to be crushed.

And theres nothing wrong with storing your six picnic coolers on the common deck so all your friends and relatives can help themselves to beer without waking you up. Let them wake up all the other guests with rooms facing the deck instead.

Chapter 3: Share the Love and the Noise

It's much better to have a party in the hallway outside of another guest's room so you don't wake up your own spouse. After all, a wedding is a celebration worth sharing. The whole world must able to rejoice with you.

Even better, if you find that the hallways too cramped, just camp on the deck all night to catch up with your college friends you haven't seen in two whole months. Be sure to whoop and holler at top volume periodically. Other guests won't want to miss one precious moment of your happiness by falling asleep.

Chapter 4: The Entire Inn Exist for YOU, Monopolize Everything

The other guests, with whom you have been loudly sharing your joy all morning, noon, night and morning again, must not try to share anything else with you like the common areas of the inn.

The woman trying to read her newspaper on the deck is interfering with YOUR enjoyment and you must give her funny looks and glares when she wishes you good morning and tells you she is saving the other chair at her table for her husband. After all, that horrible intrusive bitch just made you walk 5 extra feet to get a chair from an empty table.

It is also very important that no other guests dare try to use the pool; be sure to abandon your screaming children and six of their cousins there to ensure that the pool is unusable by anyone else.

It is also imperative that no non-wedding guests try to sit on their own balconies to enjoy the ocean view while YOU are trying to to have a family reunion on the deck. Be sure to look at them like they are the intruders. It's not as if they paid any money to stay in the inn and enjoy the view.

*Note: The Fairy Gordmother is a dear friend of mine. She is my children's godmother and my daughter once asked her, "Are you my fairy godmother?" Since she and her husband own a gaming/comic/anime/fantasy store, I felt "Fairy Gordmother" was a fitting nickname for her and there's no reason not to call her husband "The Gordfather." Yes, I told them about this site and about the real Gord, to whom they can definitely relate. Hopefully, they check it out.
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Also ask about family reunions going on, for the very same reasons.
    Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

A hotel here in town a couple years ago...can't remember what chain...once booked a small sci fi con the same weekend it had some local Baptist convention.

Now THERE were two groups that got on each other's nerves a bit. I was running a LARP at that con. Wow.

Comment

Oh - you just reminded me. I invaded a convention where Jennie (our resident cartoonist) was attending, and the convention was mostly gaming, LARPing, and a couple of comic stalls - not a huge event by any stretch of the imagination.

Several people made comments about how they nearly burst into flames going past their banquetting room.

I'll admit that some dirt flaked off...

Actually, I met a couple of the chaps in the gentleman's room, and they were decent sorts, though I was in shirt and trousers at the time and nothing too garish.

Rapscallion

Comment

Oh yeah it reminded me of when we got a room at the Holiday Inn here because they have an indoor pool and we like to have all the family kids come over and we swim together. Next to it there was a jerkoff wedding group and some stuck up bitch was coming over and telling my daughter and her cousin how to use the pool. My wife started giving her a major death glare and she quit doing it and turned around and went back to her group and stayed there. I would have said something but I didnt know about it until my wife told me about it later.

Comment

The two groups I dearly wish we could ban from my hotel are baseball teams and wedding groups. It's nothing but misery any time one or the other, or God forbid, both, make an appearance.
            Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
              A hotel here in town a couple years ago...once booked a small sci fi con the same weekend it had some local Baptist convention. ..
              ...I was running a LARP at that con.
              Did you get bonus points for starting a holy war?

My cousin actually had his wedding last Saturday. I tell you, the wedding party was feeling NO pain when they came into the reception hall.
              Last edited by Ree; 09-29-2006, 11:38 AM. Reason: Excessive quoting
              I AM the evil bastard!
              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I can understand being upset, but it goes both ways.

My wedding was at a country club. And the "members" who were in the pool got upset and complained about the stuff written on the cars. You know like, Just Married, and Have Fun Tonight.

Granted, my groomsmen's cars got "racier" stuff but nothing bad. No cussing, no real inappropriatness.

It just made me mad, because the cars were in the parking lot. We never once went around the pool or other areas. Just the yard where the wedding was and the dining hall for the reception.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                  A hotel here in town a couple years ago...once booked a small sci fi con the same weekend it had some local Baptist convention.
                  My wife volunteers at a filk convention. If you're not familiar with the term, it's a music convention. For the science fiction and fantasy community. And this one just happens to be the world's biggest one.

Part of their contract states that guests will get a block of rooms together. Blocked over all the rooms that see public concerts. And it's not uncommon for, after the public events die down around 1-2 AM, for the private parties to start.

Somehow, this elderly couple ended up with a room over one of the public rooms. Oh, they were upset, to say the least. Did I mention that it's not unusual to see full drum kits, or electric guitars, or bagpipes at one of these things? Or some even weirder instruments, as some of the people going to these also are part of the SCA? Anyway, the convention was kicked out of the rooms directly below them, despite their contract. So, they took that particular event to the main lobby. Hey, nobody was going to miss sleep there. Except the hotel staff, who had to worry when a bunch of guys and girls in variations on Robin Hood/Maid Marion outfits, plus the odd klingon, goth, dorsai raider, faerie, and so forth outfits, showed up with a LOT of instruments right by the front desk. With loud songs, often about death and destruction.

Police got called on a Disturbing the Peace issue. Police arrived, just in time to hear a rousing chorus of "How many of them can we MAKE DIE?" Police took one look at the signed contract between the hotel and convention, said "This is your problem", and left.
                  Last edited by Ree; 09-29-2006, 11:39 AM. Reason: Excessive quoting

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
                    And the "members" who were in the pool got upset and complained about the stuff written on the cars. You know like, Just Married, and Have Fun Tonight.
                    Did the CC actually take their complaints seriously enough to force you to move your cars? If having wedding guests park in the lot is so bothersome to the members, perhaps the CC could stop having wedding receptions. Members can vote on these things, you know. Of course, they'll have to give up the event income and pay higher member fees as a result. Can't have it both ways.

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
                    Somehow, this elderly couple ended up with a room over one of the public rooms. Oh, they were upset, to say the least. Did I mention that it's not unusual to see full drum kits, or electric guitars, or bagpipes at one of these things?

<snip>

What? No fifes? [I'm a fife player, btw.]

I'm cracking up laughing trying to picture that scene in the lobby.
                    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

Comment

Quoth Dips View Post
                      Did the CC actually take their complaints seriously enough to force you to move your cars?
                      Nothing was ever said to us by anyone that matters in the place. (I would have told them off if it had been). I was informed after the honeymoon that many people overheard the members complaining to themselves, etc.

They've been doing weddings/receptions for a long long time, I can't imagine they are going to stop.

Comment

Did I mention that it's not unusual to see full drum kits, or electric guitars, or bagpipes at one of these things? Or some even weirder instruments, as some of the people going to these also are part of the SCA?
                        Quoth Dips View Post
                        What? No fifes? [I'm a fife player, btw.]

I'm cracking up laughing trying to picture that scene in the lobby.
                        I'm not personally familiar with any fife players... but filking being what it is, I'm sure there are one or two in the world.

Comment

Yeah, the hotels used to really annoy me when they would book a con at their place and then act all suprised when a con actually took place. At this point, I feel like "hey you're a hotel, you know what a con is. If you don't want that kind of mayhem going on, don't book the con!"

Yes, I know all sort of crap happens during cons. But then, so do the hotels. Either suck it up, or don't book the con in the first place! Sheesh!

I realize noisy stuff doesn't need to be happening in common areas open to people's doors (in the case of indoor balconies) or in halls in front of people's rooms. But that's what the ballrooms and party floors are for. Don't book the Lawrence Welk crowd on the party floors.

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
                            I was informed after the honeymoon that many people overheard the members complaining to themselves, etc.
                            That's good that the club didn't try to do anthing to you, because you weren't causing trouble. Sounds like the poor complaining dears need to either pay more to join a club which doesn't book weddings or shut up.

I'm not personally familiar with any fife players... but filking being what it is, I'm sure there are one or two in the world.
                            Fife-playing is a lonely art. People tend to run far, far away whenever we play. Unless we've been hired to play at an event. In that case, we make the client pay us an extra fee to stop playing.

Comment

Police arrived, just in time to hear a rousing chorus of "How many of them can we MAKE DIE?"

Oooh, I just LURV that song! Was Heather Alexander her ownself there, or was it just the con-goers?

In honor of this particular post, I just have to post the lyrics of an old filksong on this very subject. Apparently the problem you mentioned is not a new one, and definitely not the first time this has happened, since the song dates back to 1982 or possibly earlier.

MARCON BALLROOM
                              by Anne Passovoy
                              Tune: Plastic Jesus

Here in these air-conditioned breezes
                              Here I sit while my ass freezes
                              In the ballroom of this big hotel.
                              Now they know damn well our cons are raucous
                              Why in God's name can't they block us
                              Where we won't freak out their clientele?!

Marcon Ballroom, Marcon Ballroom
                              Sitting on my chilly plastic seat.
                              The hotel must have said "The train's in!
                              Here's our chance to pack mundanes in
                              Every room around the Dorsai suite!"

'Bout midnight when we're gettin' noisy
                              They move in some guy from Boise
                              Soon he's hearin' music in the halls.
                              Then thirty voices hit the chorus
                              Whoops, the plywood must be porous
                              The little guy next door is climbing walls.

Here we sit in exile on the floor.
                              Will the fans forevermore sigh
                              "Nothing human stops the Dorsai!
                              ('Cept three tourists banging on the door.)"

Well, it's one little guy and two old ladies
                              Jumpin' up and down and raising Hades
                              Hearing all the music from our room.
                              The final splatter from the pigeon
                              Must've been Old Time Religion
                              They understood enough to drop the boom!

Sitting here we're risking frozen feet.
                              The only place we can sing next is
                              In the lobby where the desk is
                              Always heard it said revenge is sweet.

Years and cons and fans may come and go (and come and go)
                              One trick hotels will always favor is
                              Making sure your next door neighbor is
                              Someone guaranteed to close the show.
                              Last edited by Ree; 09-29-2006, 11:36 AM. Reason: Excessive quoting
                              Civilized men tend to be ruder than savages because they know they can be impolite without getting their skulls split, as a rule.
                              - Robert E. Howard

Comment

Working...
                              X