This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another grocery store sighting *rich snob- tons of coins-express lane*

*sighs* well aparently grocery stores are an absolute magnet for suckiness. I was visiting the publix by my house (different one then in my other post). Only needing 3 things I opted for the express lane, well I was there just in time to catch some general customer suckiness.

There was a obviously rich middle aged snob (you could just tell by attitude and the fact she was dripping in expensive accessories/jewelry) at the front of the line. The cashier was an elderly woman. After a good couple minutes of the line not moving we started to get a bit curious at what the hold up was. The rich snob decided that she was going to pay for her purchases in small coins. I dont mean a few bucks in quarters- I mean $6-7 down to the penny. The cashier had to stand there laborously counting each cent. It got so bad that a fellow employee opened up the line next to the express lane because it was too slow!

After the snob left I turned to the cashier " Its really annoying when rich snobs pay in change just because they dont want it in their purse". I said it loud enough that there was a chance she heard as she was walking away. To this the cashier replied "yeah and whats really annoying is that she had a wallet full of 20s and I get blamed for the line being held up".

I know this is small potatoes- but it just seems like everyone is in their own little world and completely oblivious to the world around them. *sighs*

Don't grocery stores have Coin Star now? Where you put all your change in it and it counts it and gives you a slip of paper you can use for purchasing your groceries?
    Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

some do but it charges you to use it so if she was such a snob i doubt she'd consider throwing away money when the cashier is paid to count her pennies

Comment

My credit union has a coin counter in its lobby. It's free to use. Maybe she should check her own credit union/bank before she lugs her change with her?

Comment

I save my change in a candy tin and take it to the bank when it gets full. (not a very big tin, so it gets full quick)

I think the most money my change tin has held was about $43. I went yarn shopping the day I had the bank change that into easy to carry paper money.

I dont even carry change on me if I can help it. Usually when I have someone (my parents, my boyfriend) with me, I'll give them the coinage. I dont carry a purse, and my wallet doesnt have a coin holder.

Comment

It's like, coins are too low class for some people!
            Last edited by 0oAmericanGirl; 09-14-2006, 05:25 AM. Reason: I can't spell

Comment

Change is BY FAR my biggest pet peeve at work. I work at a mom-pop, the "corner store". I have rolled $75 in change on some nights. NOT all
              quarters. I have started bringing $1s to work just to keep from taking change. Yes, it's worth it to me to pay for a customers $4 pack of smokes(if they are a regular) because it's not just a few of them that bombard me with change. It's almost EVERY one of them. It starts on Tuesday, gets worse on Wednesday, and is unbearable on Thursday. And don't even get me started on the end of the month. You can tell who the welfairies are. But they just gotta have their beer, cigs, and blunts. They never get the cheapest either, its Bud, Marlboro, Newport all the way.

Here are a few examples.....
              Last Thurs. No less than 5 people tried to get me to let them "cash in" loose change, none of it rolled, doesn't matter, No how, No way. Against store policy. We are not a bank or a Coin-Star.

Tues. night....woman comes in and clunks down a plastic jug on the counter. She's a regular. She wants me to give her bills for the change because she's going out and doesn't want to be embarassed by using change. ?? If she's broke and down to change then why is she going out?

Last night....Guy comes in and asks for a pack of black and milds. He does a change dump. It's only $2.50, I can deal with that, he's the only one in the store. Then he says he might have enough for another pack. I look at what he has left and he doesn't(YAY!). Digs in pocket again, more change AND his wallet. Which has a nice assortment of $1s, 5s, and 20s in it. Now I'm mad....he's just trying to get rid of the change(dimes and nickels). With other customers in line by now. I asked him if he could use bills instead. He insisted on the change so I got $3 out of my pocket and paid for them. He got mad about getting them free. Said he'd never heard of money discrimination before. These are the ones I hate the most...they have bills but use change. They seem to think they're not spending "real" money if it's change.

These people just don't realize that we have to count every cent of what they give us, and if it's a huge amount it takes time. It holds up the line and makes other customers mad because they have to wait, while they look at me like it's my fault.

Sorry if this rant went on too long, but this really does torque my @ss.
              USN Retired

Comment

Not to be an SC, but I think the ultimate solution would be to have a Coin Star machine mounted in the counter. Got too much change? pay 9 cents on the dollar!

Comment

My local Wal-Mart has this nifty little mini-bank machine in the front of the store...you can go to it and buy money orders, make payments on a Wal-Mart credit card, refill your shopping card, whatever. Sadly, I am a change hoarder, and the only Coinstar machine in town is literally 20 minutes out of my way. So, what I usually end up doing is going to this machine and putting all my loose change into it and putting the amount on a shopping card, so that I don't have to annoy any of the cashiers with my leftovers. I've actually had cashiers acknowledge what I'm doing and thank me for not taking up THEIR time with it!

You wouldn't think this would be a problem, but people still bitch to the EMPLOYEES about what I'm doing! "She's putting all her change in the machine, I wanna buy my money order wah wah wah." ...which wouldn't be so bad if this machine weren't in the lobby of the Wal-Mart Money Center and the woman they're complaining to who has NO LINE and a huge button on her vest that says "Buy money orders here!"

It irritated me enough one day that I turned to the complainer and snarled "You know, if you got shit to say, come say it to my face!" ...*sigh* They never take me up on that...
                  "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

Of course not. That's because you don't have to put up with their crap. They bitch and whine to the staff simply because the staff aren't allowed to talk back.
                    I AM the evil bastard!
                    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth stickycoins View Post
                      Then he says he might have enough for another pack. I look at what he has left and he doesn't(YAY!). Digs in pocket again, more change AND his wallet. Which has a nice assortment of $1s, 5s, and 20s in it. Now I'm mad....he's just trying to get rid of the change(dimes and nickels). With other customers in line by now. I asked him if he could use bills instead. He insisted on the change so I got $3 out of my pocket and paid for them. He got mad about getting them free. Said he'd never heard of money discrimination before.
                      If there's a line behind them AND they have bills in their wallet, you can give them a choice. Either pay with the bills now OR pay with coins AFTER you have served the nice customers behind them. Their choice.

LOL at "money discrimination." The stuff these people come up with. It would be really funny to put up a sign:

ATTENTION:

[Name of Business] reserves the right to discriminate against the following forms of payment:

$100 bills used for small purchases.

$50 bills used for small purchases.

Any denomination of counterfeit.

Checks.

Coins used for purchases over $1.

If you feel your rights have been violated under our money discrimination policy, you may complain. It just won't do you any good.
                      The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

My big question is why would you wear all of your jewls and expensive stuff to go to the grocery store? Who are you trying to impress? I'm nervous wearing anything expensive for fear of drawing unwanted attention to myself.
                        Woman are like guns, if you don't treat us right, we'll blow up in your face!

Pain is your bodies way of telling you that you're still alive.

I am also known as Liquid Skin and Silkekitten.

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
                          My local Wal-Mart has this nifty little mini-bank machine in the front of the store......
                          Where oh where can I get one of those?????????lolol I would kill for one.
                          USN Retired

Comment

Quoth Crazyredhead View Post
                            My big question is why would you wear all of your jewls and expensive stuff to go to the grocery store?
                            My grandmother used to dress to the nines to go to the grocery store; if I was coming along and I was in jeans and a T-shirt, I'd get yelled at and expected to change. Never did understand that

Seems like it could be some sort of generational thing, but I'm not sure what or how...
                            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

The Coinstar where I used to work charged a whole 8.9 cents per dollar ! Oh and they couldn't pay for their orders with the voucher, they had take it to Customer Service and redeem it.
                              Mon aƩroglisseur est plein des anguilles!"

Comment

Working...
                              X