Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If my manager didn't hate me before... (very long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If my manager didn't hate me before... (very long)

I'm putting this here because it's an oops, a rant against a co-worker, and against a manager.

Yesterday, from 9-4, I had a volunteer training session for my school Safewalk thing. Not a big deal. Long, kinda boring, energy draining. Then I had to work at the theatre from 6-midnight. Not a big deal. Long, kinda boring, energy draining.

Towards the end of the night, I was exhausted. I had finished my closing duties for the moment, waiting by concession for theatres to finish so I have more to do. A co-worker who we'll call C, has been there for less than 3 months.

C feels she can order me around. The problem is, her orders rarely actually apply. She'll tell me not to do theatre checks in a theatre, problem is, I'm simply going in to use the door to get upstairs.
    So last night, as I'm waiting by concession, she continually stops whatever she's doing, looks at me and says "go do your job." After about the 10th time, I explain I've done my job for the moment, and I'm waiting for the next round of duties. So she smirks, kinda triumphantly as she says "Then go lose some weight." (I included a demand for some form of disiplinary action in my later letter, or I'm going to start documenting, and go for hostile workplace environment. I included my intent for that in the letter as well.)

Having taken enough crap from her, I move on. The last thing I'm supposed to do at the end of the night is take concession's garbage over to the compactor. Unfortunately, concession didn't finish until after midnight. I had finished everything else, was too tired to wait around, and left before they had finished.

The next day (today), I go in to work. I find an envelope waiting for me with a write-up inside. For not taking the garbage out. I believe the biggest issue was the fact that I didn't tell anyone. However, some of the comments on my write-up kinda ticked me off, so I wrote a letter to go along with his copy of my write up.

The comments were "It is expected that all employees will go the little bit extra to complete all duties expected of them. We will be more than happy to pay staff for working extra time for cirumstances beyond their control. We do not expect that any employee wil just walk out and leave duties uncompleted. In future, we expect that you will follow through on all duties and complete them to the best of your abilities at all times."

The issues I had with this were I regularly show up early to my shift, start before my start time so that I can get things done. I do this off-clock because it makes my job easier, and it helps out my fellow employees. I've stayed late a lot of times when necessary.
    I've had managers send people home before work is completed at the end of the night to avoid paying for more time. Managers have also told me to sign out at my scheduled time even though it took them an extra 20 min to cash me out.
    The matinee employees regularly walk off when their shift is finished, leaving tons of work for the evening people, even though there was enough time for them to complete the tasks (and I've previously complained about this). Even sometimes the evening staff leaves work for the morning people (less common).
    I did complete my duties to the best of my abilities. I had no way to know when they would be finished, and I needed to get home.

And I'm also more than a little upset that the first time they had an issue with anything I've done, on any level, they proceeded to write me up rather than talking to me. I've been an awesome worker, my first review was stellar. I do one thing because I'm exhausted and my shift is OVER techincally? I think they went overboard.

I don't feel better now. But I might eventually. I think I'm gonna go eat something really bad for me.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

If coming in early makes things easier for you, then keep on doing it--but document the time you actually come in. Anything else that you do extra, unless it benefits you directly--time to stop. I hate to be nasty, but no one appreciates what you are doing and in fact you are actively being used and taken for granted. You're spreading your pearls before swine, so to speak. This company doesn't deserve it.

As far as I can see, you definitely have grounds for hostile working environment.

Comment

*Update*

My manager had a chat with rude co-worker. Of course she denied everything she could, and claimed the rest as a joke, but he didn't really fall for that. She's supposed to apologize to me, but hasn't yet.

My write up still stands, but my manager and I had a good chat, and I think I'm gonna feel comfortable bringing my issues to him now. Before he seemed unapproachable, but it should be better now. Hopefully, there will even be a few changes. But I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
        My manager had a chat with rude co-worker. Of course she denied everything she could, and claimed the rest as a joke, but he didn't really fall for that. She's supposed to apologize to me, but hasn't yet.

How long must you reasonably wait for an apology before you go back and mention that she hasn't gotten around to it yet?
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

This bit is rich:

"We will be more than happy to pay staff for working extra time for cirumstances beyond their control."

Change "will be more than happy" to "are obligated by law" and they're getting closer to the actual truth.

Also don't work off the clock any more. You're not doing yourself a favor by working for free and you're not doing your employer a favor by putting them in a position where they are breaking the law. Even if they don't know you are doing it, they can still get into trouble.

As a matter of fact, next time they expect you to punch out before you are allowed to leave, you could use concern for your employer's well-being as the reason you refuse to do it:

"Gee. I guess you must have forgotten that making people stay at work after they've punched out is illegal. It's sure lucky I remembered. I'd hate to be the cause of Blah Theaters doing something illegal. Now, do you want me to punch out and go home or do you want me to stay punched in?"
          The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
            How long must you reasonably wait for an apology before you go back and mention that she hasn't gotten around to it yet?
            Considering I've walked past her several times since then, and she refuses to even look at me. I figure if she hasn't done it by the end of this weekend, she doesn't plan to.

Comment

Working...
            X