This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you talk like a pirate?

I meant to post this and almost forgot to. At work, my department and I were having a lot of fun with the Talk Like A Pirate thing Tuesday. I referred to my boss as "Cap'n" all day and instead of agreeing with people, I'd say "Aye, me hearty" or just "Arrrgh" when they asked if I could make a change on something for them. This very young guy who is half my age sits on the other side of my cube wall, and I could hear him on the phone to someone:

"Yeah, you ought to hear these people. Jesus, they've gone nuts." (insert random "Arrrgh" from someone) "See? Did you hear that? Well, it's Talk Like A Pirate Day. No, its a real thing, evidently."

I work as an artist, and I was making something for him that he needed some changes made on. Here is the exchange:

Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 3:45 PM
    To: Recovering Kinkoid
    Subject: RE: your logos

This is good for the second version, just need to change the text. What color is the text - it's hard to tell?

Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 3:48 PM
    To: Young Guy
    Subject: RE: your logos

Beats the hell out of me, matey. I beheld the map you gave me and it pointed me in the direction of “brown.” Arrrggg. So, I’m following it true to the treasure. Brown, it is. Indeed, argh, arrrrgh.

Let me be fixin’ the words for ya and then hopefully we be done. Otherwise, it’s a maroonin’ for you. Or sharks. Haven’t had a good keel haulin’ or beating here in a while, so we be due. So beware, poppet. Beware.

Arrrrrgh.

He thought this was pretty funny.

thats one of the few holidays i wish i could work on even if its not official
    that would be soooo much fun! especially because pirates 2 is still out in my theater

Comment

It does make for a fun work day. I meant to wear my swashbuckling hat, but forgot.

I was working at Kinko's one year when it fell on a Saturday, and I happened to be on the Saturday morning shift. Most of the customers laughed and got totally into it. We had our occasional corn-cobb-up-the-butt type, but I'd say it made 95 percent of the customers smile.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
        We had our occasional corn-cobb-up-the-butt type, but I'd say it made 95 percent of the customers smile.
        Of course it would make you smile! How could you not smile if you saw a pirate at work?

...Unless you worked in the merchant marine, circa 1725.

EDIT: And I realize that this a totally regional thing, but I will now associate this day with "The Last Saskatchewan Pirate" by the Arrogant Worms.
        Last edited by Spiffy McMoron; 09-21-2006, 05:15 PM.
        I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

ah but its no longer a regional thing, that songs hilarious even if the geography doesnt mean the same

Comment

Hmm, never did anything like that, but at my current job, I put "Office Space" references in my emails, or just talk like one of the guys from that movie. (i.e. "Yeah... it's just I've finished all my assignments, so I'm going to need you to go ahead and find me something else to work on. So if you could go ahead and do that, that would be great...")

One time on a Friday, my supervisor came back with a followup-reference, telling me, "I'm going to need you to come in tomorrow... Oh, and I'm going to need you to come in Sunday too."

I was going to follow it up with the whole "Set the building on fire" thing, but I was afraid that it might get intercepted by someone who hadn't seen the movie, and think I was serious, so I chose to walk over to her office and just say it instead.
            Sometimes life is altered.
            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
            Uneasy with confrontation.
            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I FORGOT ABOUT "TALK LIKE A PIRATE DAY"?!?!?!?!?!?! AAAARRRRRGGGHGHH!!!

Last year was great. My teacher brought in a bunch of pirate related songs, and threw random piratey things into her lecture.
              Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I was going to, but I forgot in the stress and upsettedness of forgetting my ID tags at home, and ending up half an hour late for work.

I did get my name in the paper again for it:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/Comment/L...9/1861567.html

Second one down.

I also got my letter printed for No Pants Day too. the Edmonton Sun seems to like printing my letters more than the Calgary Sun.
                Last edited by Horsetuna; 09-21-2006, 08:29 PM.
                Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr to me, I forgot about Talk Like a Pirate Day!!!!

I'll try to make up for it when a bunch of us at work dress up as pirates for Halloween.
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I have a favorite pirate joke that comes to mind on this day every year:

A pirate walks into a bar with a ship's steering wheel hanging out of his fly.

The bartender say, "Hey, buddy, do you realize you have a ship's steering wheel hanging out of your fly?"

The pirate says, "Aaarrr, it's drivin' me nuts!"

Comment

We usually talk like that at the big paper fastener.

The joke started after a Post-It display looked like a pirate shift. It went on from there.

We want to answer the phone one time as "Capt'n Jack's Office Supplies, where we make the shoplifters walk the plank"

Comment

I have never heard of this talk-like-a-pirate concept....did I miss something?

Q. Why are pirates called pirates?

A. Because they ARRRR!
                        I ride the time, it unfolds a new day,
                        another time, this world would fade away
                        To find true love, is like no other joy,
                        our choice is here
                        be happy for today

Comment

Quoth COMINATCHA View Post
                          I have never heard of this talk-like-a-pirate concept....did I miss something?
                          International Talk Like A Pirate Day is September 19th. This holiday was created in 2001. For more information, visit http://www.talklikeapirate.com.
                          "Who loves not women, wine, and song remains a fool his whole life long" ~Martin Luther
                          "Always send a lazy man to the angel of death" ~Martin Luther
                          My MySpace
                          My LiveJournal

Comment

I have a quick, somewhat off-topic question for all the pirate-talkers out there: what are some thinks pirates at sea would have considered evil omens? I'm involved in a project, and am getting stumped on this point.

I have one bad omen, "seeing a ghost ship", but I need another. (FWIW, on the good omen side, I have mermaids and dolphins.)

Comment

Big navy ships, I would imagine.

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
                              X