This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun with Doors.

After a little incident at my local Wal-Mart, I was reminded of some fun stories dealing with a variety of doors. Some on display, some roll up, and some regular store doors. So, I thought I'd share mine. Anyone have good ones to add, share too

Roll Up:

This is my favorite story. At Lowe's, we had this huge roll up door down in lumber. All controled from a push button at my register. When a customer was leaving with lumber, i'd roll the door up for them and let them load there in our awning. Other times, I'd have to do it for a lift to go out, come in, or for the guys to unload things. You'd think, this door wouldn't cause problems. Yet, sometimes it found a way. One gentleman in particular gave me a very sheepish look and a laugh at one point.

I was rolling this door down, looking not at the door but down the aisle. As I'm doing this, I turn for a moment to see this guy walking up in the direction of the door. Now, this door is moving steadily down, and he never slows. Looking back down the aisle, I hear a loud SMACK! looking back I see (through the windows) this man rubbing his face and looking rather sick. He had walked right into the roll up door. After a moment, he comes inside and says quote. "Your damn door is broke. It didn't sense me and roll up." Looking at him a moment I said. "There's no sensor on that door." He blinked, saw the control, looked at the door and asked sheepishly. "Do you carry sheetrock?"

Sliding Doors:

Gods, I love these things. Knock them off track and you can panic a customer. Even when it's so simple to put them back. Still, I wonder about people reading.

I remember one store where the entrance and exit doors only allowed you to do that. Enter only opened one way, as did exit. It always struck me as funny watching these people walk up to the exit door and then stare at it like a monkey doing a math problem when the door wouldn't open for them. Some, rather than walk the twenty feet to the entrance, would wait for a person to exit, and then sneak inside. Others cursed it openly.

What's worse, (and I've said this elsewhere) are the people who try to open the doors when the store is closed. It doesn't matter whats in front of the doors. Whether a lawnmower, car, truck, forklift, two associates telling them the store is closed, or the darkend recesses of the store; there's always some customer trying to get inside. It's like moths to a light really. And, lest we forget, the customer is always right; if wal-mart is open twenty four hours a day, every one else must be.

Display Doors:

These can be fun too. Doors on big funky hinge things that let a person see how it looks. Yet, it seems the concept of a display model is lost on so many people. Furthermore, for some insane reason, Corporate thinks it best to put the heavy doors UP on the risers. As opposed to making the hernia/fall factor go down. Oh yes, space is a necessity.

I can't tell you, how many times I've seen customers walk up to one of the special order doors; take the time to order one and then get irate because they think that the associate should take the display down. I mean, didn't they just buy a door? Wish it were that simple. Then, there's the suprise of finding something behind the doors. This was common. Kids loved hiding behind the things only to jump out at their parents, or associates, or anyone too close. This was usually followed with the reflex reaction of slamming the door in the kid's face, a scream, and a call for someone to clean up the blood from said kid's bloody nose.

Still, I think my favorite were the idiots that couldn't understand that yes, the door comes in other colors than green/blue/red. This particular door was painted that way to show various styles. Really weird looking one too. This couple comes up, orders that door's primary style and then begins to argue with the salesman about whether or not the door comes in tri color. I ended up in it, accidentally, by laughing. The customer, Irate to begin with, turns on me and asked what's so funny. I didn't say anything, but pointed to the sing proclaiming that the door could come in one of the three styles and designs shown. Also it came in half a dozen colors. Irate customer was pacified rather quickly, though the husband's "I told you so." most likely didn't help his case with his wife.

Sliding Doors: Part Deux.

Sliding doors can be fun, yes. They can also be somewhat unnerving and tend to have a mind of their own. We had one door, I called the evil door. This thing hated me. Rather openly hated me. (Yes, doors can hate).

At the time I worked returns. Meaning I spent half my time cleaning the doors more than anything else. Wash, wipe, wash wipe, return, wash, wipe... You get the picture. This door, seemed to have a perverse sense of humor. Many times as I washed the door, it'd suddenly open on me. Trapping my hand or giving me a nasty pinch. With nothing near the electric eye to cause it, I'd usually grumble, squall if it got me good, or just curse under my breath.

That wasn't all it did. It was supposed to have a fail safe. In an ideal situation, if it closed on something, the door was supposed to snap back open to release it. Most of the time it did this. When I tested it, though, it didn't snap back open. Rather it clamped down like a dog on a bone and wouldn't let go. To make matters worse, it had to be pried off me. One time, it caught my hand at the wrist. The other, it caught my head. (this last one caused me to be the butt of many jokes.) One day, it's glass shattered. That was the strangest I've seen. Never figured out what caused it.

I remember standing there one closing, the doors closed and locked. I, was behind my counter, inable of leaving until my Head Cashier had closed the registers. Another guy, was standing by the front, locking up after bringing in the equipment. I look up at him, just in time to see one of those doors shatter and fall. Being safety glass, it went into a million tiny diamond like pieces, falling everywhere around and even flying out. Almost as though something had gone through it. Both he and I just stood there staring at each other through the now open window. When managment came up, we said in unison. "I didn't do it."
    Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Quoth repsac View Post
    I remember standing there one closing, the doors closed and locked. I, was behind my counter, inable of leaving until my Head Cashier had closed the registers. Another guy, was standing by the front, locking up after bringing in the equipment. I look up at him, just in time to see one of those doors shatter and fall. Being safety glass, it went into a million tiny diamond like pieces, falling everywhere around and even flying out. Almost as though something had gone through it. Both he and I just stood there staring at each other through the now open window. When managment came up, we said in unison. "I didn't do it."
    Did management believe either of you?
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth repsac View Post
      ooooo haunted doors! oooooooooo
      no really thats just weird??? one day someone will find out what happened
      I am evil, I should change my middle name legally TO evil, I'm proud of my evilness! Makes life fun! bwhaha

Comment

One time we had to close a shop early, that had an automatic door (one slider). Nobody could figure out how to stop it opening! The control was buggered! So in the end, I sat in front of it, with the key in the air ready for it to close so i could slam the lock shut! You could hear the motor trying to open it afterwards. Victory

Then, when it came to opening, the door wouldn't open!!!! 2 of us had to shove the damn thing to get it open. Then somehow it clicked into auto mode and all was well.

Agreed, automatic doors are the devils work.

Comment

thankfully,the other associate was a ZM. Still, if his look mirrored mine it must have been quite a sight.

We had a door with the same problem of wanting to open repeatedly. The company called the techs to come out and look at it, but they couldn't find anything wrong with. Totally random too. Some times you'd stand down in lumber all day and it'd work perfectly. Other times it was opening every thirty seconds or less.

When I worked for Moore's (this story posted elsewhere as well) I hated dealing with the doors at night. These weren't automatic, but rather your normal push open type. Per my manager, About ten minutes before closing, I'd lock all the doors save one. The one furthest to the left (or right, depending how you faced) was my usual choice. This caused a few face smacks on the glass and a handful of sprained wrists as ladies and gentlemen would hit those doors at full steam. My favorite however, had to be after closing.

EXACTLY at closing, I'd lock up all the doors and start to close out registers. My cashiers would head to clock out and then I'd let them out as soon as possible. Nine times out of ten, we'd hear a soft rattling sound.

To this day, it still perplexes me, but that sound came from people trying to get inside. What was so perplexing was this:

Upon reaching the doors, the customer would smack into the locked door. They'd shake it once or twice, and then move to the other set of doors. These would be shaken as well, before the customer returned to the first set to shake them once more. As though shaking the second set would have unlocked the first!
          Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

Back when I was working at Walmart. We had this one door that would open and close on its own. Once it caught me, right as soon as I was leaving work. Everyone was cracking jokes all week about it. At one point during the week, I said something like, "They must have realized how much of a good worker I am, seeing how they are trying to keep me here." It was funny at the time
            Under The Moon Paranormal Research
            San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Not exactly related to shop doors, but doors all the same.
              Most of the buses that are run by ACTION here in Canberra have doors that slide in, known as gliding doors. These are normal, and people know that.
              However, some buses have doors known as plug doors. These doors open outward, so that if you are standing close to the door on the outside, you'll get hit.You would not beleive the number of people who, even after numerous days of practice and large stickers at eye level reading " Caution - Doors Open Outwards", manage to get hit in the face.

(For pictures/diagrams, click the following: Door Types, Picture of the plug doors when open.
              I think, therefore I am. But I am micromanaged, therefore I am not.

Comment

This story is probably funnier if you happened to be there. I used to work at an in-store bank branch at a grocery store. Our place of business bordered the pharmacy. The pharmacy had sliding plate glass windows that could be locked during the evenings. One day at opening time for the pharmacy, I happened to be staring right at the pharmacist the moment he was opening the windows for the day. When he fully opened one, it shattered into thousands of tiny fragments for no reason when it was fully slid to the open position. It wasn't like he threw it open, just opened it like he always did, it always bumped into the slide frame to a halt. It hit it this time and shattered into a pile on the floor. He just stood there with a smile on his face after it shattered, and I just laughed out loud.

By the way, the door that hates people made me lol!

Comment

Hey Rep,

I work at Lowe's, I love to watch the idiots get coralled at the front door. They walk up to the door and just stand there, like it supposed to open. LOL

The return desk cashier told me of one day when a guy walked up to the door and walked right into it. Then he stepped back, shook his head(guess getting the cobwebs out) then walked into it again. HAHAHA I guess since it didn't open the first time try it again.

Or the old man and his family..

OM- Old Man
                  dws- Daughter with sense

DWS - You can't go that way dad.
                  OM- It says Exit on the sign (screamed loud enough to hear in back)
                  DWS- Yeah, It say Emergency Exit Only.
                  OM- OH, then where the hells the exit.
                  DWS- That way.

At least the idiot gene may have skipped a generation.

CM
                  Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.

Comment

I hate the doors at our local Lowes. Or maybe they hate me, I don't know. The outer doors always open in plenty of time, but the inner set (yes, it says "Enter") seems to have a delay between the sensor and door. Most times I actually have to stop for it to open. Maybe I walk too fast, but it's the only store that I have the issue with. At least I don't run into the damn thing, though.

Comment

There's a set of doors at my favorite Wal-Mart that likes to slide shut and not open no matter what you do to the motion sensor. I can't tell you how many old lady greeters I've horrified by wedging my fingers between them and forcing the doors open. Hey, it's obviously broken anyway, I might as well make it spectacular...
                      "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

we had one time this customer that kept trying and trying to enter through the exit to go in the store....she kept staring at the door with the 'dee dee dee' look on her face. I pointed out that entrance right next to it and she then tried to jiggle the door. ok...whatever.... I get the door open by walking to it and she asked "Why didn't the door open?" My reply "Uh..because that is the exit...it only works one way." The woman then giggled and said "Ooops." I had to admit though it was pretty funny to watch because she kept staring at it as if she was trying to will it to open with her mind.
                        NEVER underestimate the stupidity of the customer

Comment

That is so hilarious about people trying to enter thru the exit!!! My husband, our son and I went to Best Buy last week, and when we were leaving there were these people who came in thru the exit. The door had opened because we were coming thru it. Well, we pretty much were taking up the whole doorway, and these people gave us this death look, because we were in "their" way. The second door (or first if you're using it the right way ) had already closed, then they realized their mistake, and they had to go out and go in the right way. I laughed a little on the inside.

At our local Wal-Mart you can go either way in spite of the fact that one technically is the exit, and one the entrance. I've been known to leave thru the entrance to avoid all the groups begging for money out front .

At another Wal-Mart not far from where we live, the exit and enter doors don't work both ways, and my husband and I were leaving and there was this lady standing there (on the outside), and she says when we come out, "Why wouldn't this door open for me??". My husband looks at her and says very seriously, "Because it's the exit." Then we both busted out laughing. It probably wouldn't be funny to most people, but we are a little weird!!!

Comment

lol Thanks for starting out the day with a laugh.

Comment

Oh the times I wish I had a camcorder when I was at work. I don't know how many times I've seen people get smacked by the door while trying to enter through the exit. They would always find some way to blame the door or the employees for them not paying attention.
                              "I don't have an anger problem I have an idiot problem!" - Hank Hill

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run around in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Comment

Working...
                              X