This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common?.... sense

I have a new job in a new city and state. So far I think I might actually like this job, though there are moments... Basically, what I do is answer questions and do basic (VERY basic) troubleshooting on the company's appliances. I've already heard some interesting questions.

#1. This one wasn't a call I took (good thing, too, I'd have fallen out of my chair laughing. I still giggle when I think of it). A lady called in to ask..... "How do I defrost my microwave?"

#2. This is one I listened in on. A customer was trying to reset the power level on their microwave after having it unplugged for cleaning. She got walked thru how to change the power levels, and we could hear the machine beeping in the background as she followed directions. Until we got to 'press start'. Silence. "I'm mashing the button, but nothing's happening!" So we walk her thru resetting her microwave (essentially a hard reboot, unplug it for 30 seconds then plug it back in). Again the walk thru on setting the power level. And again, nothing happens when she 'mashes' the start button. And in the background I hear a male voice saying "It might help if you closed the door." DOH!

#3. A woman had a chest type freezer, and was concerned by how much frost was building up in it, and worried that the machine was faulty because the frost was building up so quick. It apparently never occured to her that living in a hot, humid environment, say for instance... FLORIDA... just MIGHT have some bearing on the phenomenon.

If nothing else, this job does seem to have considerable promise for providing some entertainment.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

#1 had me for quite a while! Wait it's..happening...again!

Comment

I've done number 2 before...felt stupid too...

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post

#2. This is one I listened in on. A customer was trying to reset the power level on their microwave after having it unplugged for cleaning. She got walked thru how to change the power levels, and we could hear the machine beeping in the background as she followed directions. Until we got to 'press start'. Silence. "I'm mashing the button, but nothing's happening!" So we walk her thru resetting her microwave (essentially a hard reboot, unplug it for 30 seconds then plug it back in). Again the walk thru on setting the power level. And again, nothing happens when she 'mashes' the start button. And in the background I hear a male voice saying "It might help if you closed the door." DOH!

Common Sense FAIL!

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
          I've done number 2 before...felt stupid too...
          No need to feel stupid, it's a natural body function.

Oh, wait. Are we talking about the same thing?
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
            #2. A customer was trying to reset the power level on their microwave after having it unplugged for cleaning.
            Must be a fancy microwave. I've never heard of such a thing. I just plug mine in and go.
            Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
              Must be a fancy microwave. I've never heard of such a thing. I just plug mine in and go.
              Plug it in and go is pretty much standard procedure, especially when the power level you want is the highest (which every microwave that I know about defaults to).
              You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                No need to feel stupid, it's a natural body function.

Oh, wait. Are we talking about the same thing?
                *snicker*

has to be one of the best twisting of meaning ever.
                If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

^^ Thanks most kindly for noticing.
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                  X