• Show
Clear All

• Cold+Water= ... Ice, wait, what???

My first job was at a car wash. I live in Ohio. Our seasons are as follows:

1) Almost winter
    2) Winter
    3) Still winter
    4) Construction

Now, I'm kind of a freak because I LOVE winter and the cold. I usually wear shorts all year unless I'm working.

Further, some people need to pay more attention to basic science, more specifically, the temperature at which water freezes.

One morning, about a dozen customers IN A ROW asked the owner what would freeze if they got a wash. He got tired of the answer of, "Anywhere that is wet," and just started to list every part on the car he could think of that would get wet... "Breaks, doors, mirrors, sunroof..."

--------------------------------

There was a day that it was actually cold enough to make me wear pants (cold weather+shorts+water= ice covered shins). I was wearing windpants over jeans, gloves, hat, and the heaviest jacket I had when a guy complains...

"Why is my car and everything in the wash frozen?"

"Because they are wet and it's 5 degrees."

"Why does that matter?"

"Water freezes at 32 degrees."

"Turn on the heat."

(with a dead stare) "It is set to full blast, but it doesn't matter because people like you keep showing up and we can't keep the doors closed long enough to thaw anything, thus everything, including my towels, have ice on them."

"Oh." *drives off*
    This is like my expression when faced with a SC...

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...used-small.gif

Who'd be crazy enough to wash their car in the winter & then turn around & complain cause their car is now ice covered? That's a special kind of suckyness if you ask me...lol.

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
      Who'd be crazy enough to wash their car in the winter & then turn around & complain cause their car is now ice covered?
      Customers at the gas station.

Especially the ones who got the $4.50 no dry wash. AFTER I told them that no dry for that one.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
        Who'd be crazy enough to wash their car in the winter & then turn around & complain cause their car is now ice covered? That's a special kind of suckyness if you ask me...lol.
        It's actually a good idea to get your car washed at least once during the winter. Why? Salt. Road salt will eat right through metal because it melts the snow/ice creating salt water that sticks to the car. Or better yet here in NH they just spray salt water directly onto the roads. It works better but it will wreck the body of a car. Rust everywhere.

It is a little sucky to expect places to keep it warm enough that things won't freeze over in single-digit weather. But sometimes I want my car to not look like a salt-encrusted rust heap, so I go get it washed. Shiny newly washed cars make people forget about pesky things like chemistry.
        It's like the people in Vegas who have sex in video-monitored elevators.. -MoxisPilot
        The elevators are monitored?!!! OH CRAP!!! -Sheldonrs

Comment

I'm suddenly glad for Colorado weather. It'll snow, but then melt soon after. It'll be cold, but just above freezing during the day. Then it'll snow again, melt, lather, rinse, repeat. Plenty of time to wash a car!

Comment

Dear god, some people clearly flunked basic science in school...

Quoth penguingeekgod View Post

1) Almost winter
            2) Winter
            3) Still winter
            4) Construction

Now, I'm kind of a freak because I LOVE winter and the cold. I usually wear shorts all year unless I'm working.
            I lived in Plano, TX for three years. I like to joke they only have three seasons there:
            1) Summer
            2) Cold
            3) Football

Now I live in Fairfax County, VA, where the seasons are as follows:
            1) SUMMER
            2) Fall for two days
            3) SUMMER RETURNS for a week
            4) Fall for a week
            5) SUMMER'S REVENGE for three days
            6) Fall for four days
            7) SUMMER'S LAST GASP for two days
            8) Fall
            9) WINTER
            10) Spring for a day
            11) WINTER RETURNS for a week
            12) Spring for a week
            etc.

And that's supposing you GET a proper winter. As I like to put it, Without snow, it's just an extended cold snap.

And like you, penguin, I don't mind cold weather. I like snow and ice... as long as I don't have to shovel it. And I wear t-shirts almost year-round, mostly because I tend to overheat myself, and don't want to sweat like crazy in long-sleeved shirts.
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I really hate winter. I hate ice, I hate snow, I hate cold. I'm not fond of 100 degree heat, but it doesn't mess up the roads, it doesn't make my car look all gunky, and the a/c is cheaper to run than the heat.

I'm sure that around January I'm going to be that I decided to go to Kansas instead of Georgia.
              "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
              Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Some people just don't use their brains.
                This is like people I see at the car washes here during the monsoon. They can see the huge black clouds over the mountains and yet are still getting their car washed.
                Our seasons are:
                1. Pre Summer (80-90 degrees)
                2. Monsoon (1 month on and off) (90-100 degrees and damp)
                3. Full blown Summer (100-110 degrees)
                4. Warm Fall (70-80 degrees)
                then Pre Summer again

You figure people would deal with dirt on their cars for the month of the monsoon and wash their cars during the other 11 rainless months of the year.

Comment

In Chicagoland the recent yearly weather goes as follows:

1. Obscenely Cold Winter
                  2. Early Spring Warmth.
                  3. Cold Again
                  4. Warm Spring/Summer
                  5. Extreme Summer Heat
                  6. Cooling Fall
                  7. Fall heating
                  8. Beginning of Cold Winter
                  9. Winter Heating
                  "Oh, by the way..." All of my HATE

Ou kata nomon = Not according to the accepted norm

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                    Now I live in Fairfax County, VA, where the seasons are as follows:
                    [/i]
                    See, I constantly told my fiance that moving to NOVA meant crazy-ass weather. VA can't make it's mind up what season it is.. ever. It'll be 90 degrees for two weeks, and then we'll have like.. high 60's for three days. then up to high 90's for another week and a half. And people wonder why the weather section of the news is only like two seconds around here. "It was 89 today, it'll be somewhere between 60 and 110 tomorrow!"
                    Last edited by Broomjockey; 08-09-2008, 02:35 AM. Reason: trimming quote
                    "If looks could really kill, my occupation would be staring" Brand New - I Will Play My Game Beneath The Spin Light

Comment

Science people do not need science? Science is totally unneeded.

"Why is everything getting sucked out of the room today? Just because it's windy and i have two doors at opposite ends of the room open..."
                      "Why is there is on my car? Just because I washed it without drying when it's below zero"
                      "Why has my ice sculpture melted on the hottest day of the year?"

>.< Dumb people make my migraines come.

1) Almost winter
                      2) Winter
                      3) Still winter
                      4) Construction
                      That's the basic rule here. Actually, the basic rule here is "If you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes." I've been it go from torrential rain to sunny in three minutes. I've also been in the work rain storm while it's still sunny. It gets hot fast, cold fast. Plus April is freaky.

Basically April is always nice. REALLY NICE! Like sit out in the sun all day reading nice. However, when May comes it's suddenly chilly again. I've seen it snow in May. This year April was lovely. May was cool. June was like November. July was really nice. Now it's cold again. It's the second week of August and I'm wearing a sweater to work.

Then again, the gift shop is a wind tunnel so....
                      Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
                      Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

Quoth hinakiba777 View Post
                        That's the basic rule here. Actually, the basic rule here is "If you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes."
                        I use the same expression here in Fairfax Co. My grandfather used the same one when he lived in Wilmington, DE.
                        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Here we have:
                          1) Warm rain
                          2) Windy season with rain
                          3) Cold rain with heavy cloud cover
                          4) Freezing rain
                          5) Cold rain

Comment

Quoth hinakiba777 View Post
                            That's the basic rule here. Actually, the basic rule here is "If you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes." I've been it go from torrential rain to sunny in three minutes. I've also been in the work rain storm while it's still sunny. It gets hot fast, cold fast. Plus April is freaky.
                            Oh, so you've visited Britain then?
                            "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

1) Almost winter
                              2) Winter
                              3) Still winter
                              4) Construction

ahh..yes..Construction season in NorthWest Ohio. Only place I've seen that will set up a detour for a closed road that takes you on another road that is closed for construction.
                              Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

Working...
                              X