This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the hell did you expect?

This one's been on my mind since sunday. I was at the shooting range breaking in one of my new guns. This is the place where I wouldn't expect the usual stupidity I deal with on a normal basis to show up. But sure enough, even the range isn't a refuge from the stupidity of customers.

This one involved a group of women who apparently were only there to watch their boyfriends shoot, because they didn't get to squeeze off a single shot the whole time they were there. Anywho, through my hearing protection I can clearly hear one of them complain, "Why is it so loud in here?" my brain immediately locks up. It's one of those times where you are certain that you've just heard the stupidest comment ever made. I seriously had to sit there for a minute and think about that.
    "I don't have an anger problem I have an idiot problem!" - Hank Hill

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run around in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

ouch, my head hurts now.

Were the women wearing hearing protection? I ask because I once heard someone at an indoor range go off about how his g/f shouldn't have to pay 40 cents for foam earplugs because she wasn't going to be shooting.

edited to add...what did you get. If you got a Kimber, I'm never talking to you again. I might have some jealousy issues here.
    Last edited by Slave to the Phone; 09-26-2006, 01:20 AM. Reason: what kind of gun

Comment

One thing I was amazed at when I started target shooting was just how loud even the dinkiest gun can sound on a range, I'm not ashamed to admit that I wear my earplugs even when I'm only shooting my .22A

But yeah, gunfire? Loud? Whoudathunkit?!
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
        Were the women wearing hearing protection? I ask because I once heard someone at an indoor range go off about how his g/f shouldn't have to pay 40 cents for foam earplugs because she wasn't going to be shooting.

edited to add...what did you get. If you got a Kimber, I'm never talking to you again. I might have some jealousy issues here.
        It's required to have some sort of approved hearing and eye protection to even enter this range.

I was shooting an 1858 Remington and 1860 Colt. Bitch to load and clean but still loads of fun. I'm still kinda new to black powder but I think it's something I can really get into. I've got my eye on a couple of gun kits from Dixie Gunworks that I'm really tempted to buy.
        "I don't have an anger problem I have an idiot problem!" - Hank Hill

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run around in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Comment

Quoth Ringtail Z28 View Post
          Anywho, through my hearing protection I can clearly hear one of them complain, "Why is it so loud in here?" my brain immediately locks up. It's one of those times where you are certain that you've just heard the stupidest comment ever made. I seriously had to sit there for a minute and think about that.
          That's going on my continuing list of "Stupidest things ever said"...as soon as I get brain function back.
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

You mean those big meanies wouldn't turn down the volume on those guns? How rude!

That reminds me of my one idiot roommate in college. I had done a report on my computer, and was printing it off on the dot matrix printer I had at the time (this was back in the late 80's.) For anyone who's too young to have experienced this particular technology, those things are LOUD! Not like the nice quiet inkjet and laser printers we have these days. They're also very slow compared to today's printers, so if you're printing something that's more than a page or two, it's going to make a lot of noise for a fairly long time.

About halfway into the second page, my roommate got annoyed and tried to demand I "turn that damn thing down."

Dumbass.
            Sometimes life is altered.
            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
            Uneasy with confrontation.
            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

This topic made me remember this time I was at a guitar shop. I was testing a guitar I wanted to buy and I was using one of the larger amps. This was a large amp, about the size of a couch cushion and at a low setting it's loud. This woman is complaining about how loud it is in the store and about the guy playing a bass guitar earlier about how it was shaking the store and that it was bad for her. Very hard not to tell her off about it.
              Last edited by ArenaBoy; 09-29-2006, 06:28 PM.
              The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

I'm still kinda new to black powder but I think it's something I can really get into.
                I'm going to warn you ahead of time. Nice old 40 and 50 cal black powder guns shoot nice, but if you load them up with extra powder. Make sure you have lots of room to fall backwards.

My dad did that to me, he thought it would be funny to double the powder without telling me. Oooowwwwww.
                I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

I was shooting an 1858 Remington and 1860 Colt. Bitch to load and clean but still loads of fun. I'm still kinda new to black powder but I think it's something I can really get into.
                  Oh, I love black powder. Its tons of fun. I don't know I like better, shooting my flintlock or watching other people shoot it.

Comment

Quoth LostMyMind View Post
                    My dad did that to me, he thought it would be funny to double the powder without telling me. Oooowwwwww.
                    Ow. That's no fun at all. My condolonces to your bruises.
                    I AM the evil bastard!
                    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

LOL.

Just like the people in my town who built fancy houses near the racetrack in town and then complain about the noise every Saturday night.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                        LOL.

Just like the people in my town who built fancy houses near the racetrack in town and then complain about the noise every Saturday night.
                        ...or the dumbasses here who build near the airport or railroad tracks here and constantly complain about the noise.
                        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

The railroad came to me, my house was here for a century when it was laid down. Still, I find the song of Burlington-Northern-Santa-Fe quite soothing. The air-brakes are like peepfrogs.
                          You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

i live fairly close to a railroad track. and i barely notice the trains anymore, only been here 3 months now too... hehe
                            http://www.vilecity.com/index.php?r=221271
                            Cyberpunk mayhem!

Comment

I don't live far from the railroad tracks. In fact, I've gotten to the point where I miss the sound of the train at night if I'm sleeping somewhere else.
                              Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Working...
                              X