This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else have this happen?

I have had this happen a few times and its got me wondering WTF...?

Customers stuff comes to say $8.47.
    Customer puts $10.10 or $10.05 or $10.25 etc.. down..
    When I tell them the odd part will not help they insist it does.

This happen to anyone else? I asked one of my co-workers tonight and he says he gets that too...

I don't know about that. I know I try to round out my change so that I can get quarters. I need to do laundy.

Also, I once paid in exact change plus a dollar. The girl broke the dollar and gave me back my change and the change she owed me. What good is that?
    Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
    Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

Quoth hinakiba777 View Post
      I don't know about that. I know I try to round out my change so that I can get quarters.
      If the order comes to $8.47, with $10, change is $1.53

53 cents is 2 quarters plus 3 pennies.

If the customer gives you an extra dime, that dime can't combine with anything to make an extra quarter. Neither can a nickel or another quarter.

This does happen to me all the time, although I always just plug in the change anyway before I figure it out 100%. I usually get an inkling...wait, this isn't going to do anything, but I never bother to take the extra 10 seconds to do the full math in my head.

Comment

Quoth dbblsanta View Post
        If the order comes to $8.47, with $10, change is $1.53

53 cents is 2 quarters plus 3 pennies.

If the customer gives you an extra dime, that dime can't combine with anything to make an extra quarter. Neither can a nickel or another quarter.

This does happen to me all the time, although I always just plug in the change anyway before I figure it out 100%. I usually get an inkling...wait, this isn't going to do anything, but I never bother to take the extra 10 seconds to do the full math in my head.
        No meant if it was "1.35" or "7.60" or "4.80" In the 8.47 case I can't see giving a dime. Or anything except make two quarters or two pennies on top of the $10
        Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
        Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

I think what they're *trying* to do, is get back more bills and less change.

They're failing because they're bad at math.

On the flip side, I'm not bad at math, and when I hand someone, say, a ten and a quarter for something that's $8.13, it is frustrating when they give me back the quarter and a fistful of change.
          "Joi's CEO is about as sneaky and subtle as a two year old on crack driving an air craft carrier down Broadway." - Broomjockey

Comment

Quoth Arm View Post

On the flip side, I'm not bad at math, and when I hand someone, say, a ten and a quarter for something that's $8.13, it is frustrating when they give me back the quarter and a fistful of change.
            Just wait until you're told the total is 8.13, you give them 10.13, and get the 13 back as it is 'too much', and then get given the rest of the change...

Comment

Quoth Arm View Post

I like when its say $5.16 and they give me a $20 and a $1 and say to just give back $15. This happens a lot and I keep the change for myself.

Comment

Quoth VenomX View Post
                I have had this happen a few times and its got me wondering WTF...?

Customers stuff comes to say $8.47.
                Customer puts $10.10 or $10.05 or $10.25 etc.. down..
                When I tell them the odd part will not help they insist it does.

This happen to anyone else? I asked one of my co-workers tonight and he says he gets that too...
                I have had one or two customers who were trying to accomplish something this way and fail.
                I have had a larger number of customers try to give me the exact change needed to round it up to where they get 30 or 40 cents back, even if that means handing me a nickle they are just going to get right back (and that would count as abrain burp in my book).
                But usually it works just like they planned: they wanted quarters, or they didn't wnat pennies, or they just wanted to reduce the total weight of the change they were carrying (nickles weigh nearly what quarters do, pennies weigh more than dimes). Whatever.

Thankfully, the computer does the math for me. I'm usually faster than it at the straightforward stuff: "One-oh-nine out of one-twenty-five is sixteen cents back", but I am perfectly happy to type in that they gave me $11.37 for their $0.53 purchase, and then give them whatever change it says to ($10.84 in this instance. ).

Comment

We do not get that where I work
                  Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                  San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Working...
                  X