This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this ice cream for dogs?

A woman comes up to my register with a box of fudgesicles with peanut butter filling or something. It looks just like a regular box of ice cream treats you'd see in any grocery store.

SC: Is this ice cream for dogs or for people? I've never seen these before.

ME: I wouldn't think it'd be for dogs.

SC: Because they make ice cream for dogs, you know.

ME: I have heard that, but nothing on the packaging suggests that it's for dogs, so I would assume it's for people.

SC: Thanks.

I would think that ice cream treats for dogs would be clearly labeled as being for dogs, or am I just completely crazy? Unless food packaging says otherwise, I assume it's people food.

when it is meant for dogs there is really no doubt.

It's got a fuzzy dog on the box.
    Everything sucks. I must be living in a vacuum.

Comment

i don't think you'll ever see a fudge treat for a dog. unless it contains completely fake chocolate.

i thought it was common knowledge that chocolate can hurt / kill dogs?

Comment

Chocolate Toxicity in Dogs

Maybe carob instead of chocolate?

Comment

I've always wondered about that. We used to feed both our puppy dogs the odd M&M. Our first dog was about 13 when she died from her heart finally giving out. She had always had a bad murmur, but you'd never have known it watching her. The second one died of cancer when she was about 15.
          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

MMMMMMMMMMM.... Frosty Paws...

We got that for my puppy for her 1st birthday...clearly says its for dogs. There isnt even a real flavor its labeled "original". I havent worked up the courage to taste it yet though...lol.

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
              I've always wondered about that. We used to feed both our puppy dogs the odd M&M.
              My cat (Kee Kat, the Antique Cat) liked M&Ms.

KC Dog loved the mini chocolate Hershey Bars. I think the chocolate kills dogs things may only pertain to very small breed dogs. KC was a large breed dog. But we certainly limited the amount we gave her throughout the year (she'd average maybe three mini chocolate bars a year).

Other then that, we gave her the carob chips, which I think she liked better. She got them more often.
              Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
                MMMMMMMMMMM.... Frosty Paws...

We got that for my puppy for her 1st birthday...clearly says its for dogs. There isnt even a real flavor its labeled "original". I havent worked up the courage to taste it yet though...lol.
                It tastes kinda like beef flavoured dog food smells. At least, that's what ti tasted like when they first came out a few years ago. They may have reformulated the recipe by now.
                Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Honestly I've always been too fond of my pets to experiment with things that may kill them.

I've also never been curious enough to taste pet food.

Comment

Quoth Foxglove8778 View Post
                    I've also never been curious enough to taste pet food.
                    I'm clinically insane.

Seriously though, I honestly wouldn't feed my dog something I wouldn't eat or touch with a ten foot pole. If it's tolerable, the dog can have it.

Honestly, have you ever read the ingredient list on a bag of dog food? It's just like people food; half the stuff can't be pronounced!

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                      I'm clinically insane.

Seriously though, I honestly wouldn't feed my dog something I wouldn't eat or touch with a ten foot pole. If it's tolerable, the dog can have it.

Honestly, have you ever read the ingredient list on a bag of dog food? It's just like people food; half the stuff can't be pronounced!

Carvers Deli Slices for Dogs......Seriously, get the chicken slices and tell me you dont want to slather it in some chesse , bake it in the oven and then make a sandwich.. they smell SOOOO good, I had to taste..and I almost ate the whole damn thing. Needless to say my doggie loves them .

Comment

KC Dog loved the mini chocolate Hershey Bars. I think the chocolate kills dogs things may only pertain to very small breed dogs. KC was a large breed dog. But we certainly limited the amount we gave her throughout the year (she'd average maybe three mini chocolate bars a year).
                        Actually it applies to all dogs - feed even the largest breed dog a full box of chocolates & they'll go into toxic shock. We nearly lost our (rather sweet toothed) German Shepherd when he knicked a full box of chocolates off of the top of our (very tall) fridge/freezer. If he'd done it at night or in work hours where we didn't see him for hours at a time... *shudders* Think of it as doggie alcohol - very small amounts on the odd occasion won't hurt, over indulging too often will lead to health problems or even death.

If your dog really likes chocolate, maybe you could try doggie chocolate drops? Three mini chocolate bars a year shouldn't do any harm, though.
                        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                          Actually it applies to all dogs - feed even the largest breed dog a full box of chocolates & they'll go into toxic shock.
                          I think they meant the "any amount will kill them" fear a lot of owners have.

I agree about the alcohol analogy, too. Going by a worst-case scenario (the 1oz/9lbs LD50 for baker's chocolate), a small dog would likely die from a 3oz bar, a medium would be sick but probably get over it, and a Mastiff wouldn't even notice... same way the same amount of alcohol will hit smaller people harder.
                          ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                          And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Dommie was a Cock-a-poo and our first dog was a terrier-daschund mix, neither of them was ever more than 20 lbs. But obviously a few M&Ms a year didn't in any way hurt them.

Quoth Foxglove8778 View Post
                            Honestly I've always been too fond of my pets to experiment with things that may kill them.
                            I wasn't "experimenting". I had M&Ms, they knew who the sucker for the puppy dog eyes was.... Refer to the combos above. Lots of pitiful puppy eyes potential.

I'm clinically insane.

Well, you've got company in the padded room. I remember "sampling" the dogs food from time to time. Luckily it was dry, not wet, food.

Quoth JustADude View Post
                            I agree about the alcohol analogy, too. Going by a worst-case scenario (the 1oz/9lbs LD50 for baker's chocolate), a small dog would likely die from a 3oz bar, a medium would be sick but probably get over it, and a Mastiff wouldn't even notice... same way the same amount of alcohol will hit smaller people harder.
                            And it depends on the individual animal as well. My mom has no tolerance whatsoever for alcohol, one glass of wine and she's gone. I'm significantly smaller than my mom and can slam a pint of Guiness and it doesn't bother me.
                            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
                            X