This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The difference between "less" and "few"

OK, on the brain burp scale this is probably a 1. But it absolutely irritates me to no end when management puts up a sign in front of Express "12 Items or Less." We don't have a permanent sign, so it's only a handwritten sign made with computer paper taped up to the light.

When I get assigned to express, if they put up a new sign, I always make a point to cross out the "Less" and replace it with "Fewer."

Today, someone comes up to my line and asks, "Did they cross out 'less' and replace it with 'fewer' because people couldn't understand it?"

Nevertheless, it gave me a bit of a chuckle.

Those "___ items or less" signs are everywhere! 90% of the population don't know the difference between "less" and "fewer," and most of the other 10% don't care. Maybe you begin to wonder if you are the only person in the world bothered by this.

No, you are not alone.
    Women can do anything men can.
    But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
    Maxine

Comment

the fewer vs. less business has always been a pet peeve of mine. There's really no need for confusion. If what you have can be counted, 'fewer' is the way to go. If the noun is somewhat amorphous, 'less' is the word of choice.

So, you have less traffic but fewer vehicles.

or Less money but fewer coins.
      Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

Comment

Yeah, I don't get hung up too much on simple grammatical/proper word usage issues, since even with the "___ items or less" signage, people generally figure out what it means.

It's the people who KNOW what it means, but don't care, that I want to summon The Sniper for. ("Boom. Headshot.")

J2K: "Ma'am, this is 8 items or less."
        SC: "I know, but there's really long lines at the other registers, and I'm in a hurry."
        J2K: That's not why we call this the 'Express' line, bitch.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

People in one store (I think it was either Waitrose or M&S) complained so much that the company changed it to 'fewer'.

Along with Flaunt/Flout and There, They're, Their it's a little peeve of mine...
          A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

This is also one of my major pet peeves. I'm sick and tired of hearing TV commercials say things like, "It will give you less pimples.", etc.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
              J2K: "Ma'am, this is 8 items or less."
              SC: "I know, but there's really long lines at the other registers, and I'm in a hurry."
              J2K: That's not why we call this the 'Express' line, bitch.
              Those kind of people need to Meet the Sandwich
              Last edited by Ree; 08-31-2008, 01:29 PM. Reason: Edited quote
              I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

I've noticed that the majority of people will use "less" and "fewer" correctly in conversation. People do seem to have a natural feel for what "sounds" right.

In the case of "12 items of less", I think the problem is that the "less" appears at the end of the sentence. "Less items" sounds awful, and most people would naturally tend to say, "fewer items" without thinking about why they are doing it. But tacking "less" onto the end of that phrase gives it distance from the noun it's qualifying, so it's not as jarring.

As you may have guessed, I have also given this one much thought.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

So while acne medicine will give you "Fewer" Pimples.... will Beano give you "Fewer" Gas????
                  My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Quoth digilight View Post
                    So while acne medicine will give you "Fewer" Pimples.... will Beano give you "Fewer" Gas????
                    No, since the amount of gas isn't enumerated, and isn't countable, it's "less."
                    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth digilight View Post
                      Not necessarily, but it should give you fewer farts...
                      Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth RayvenQ View Post
                        Those kind of people need to Meet the Sandwich
                        It's Sandvich. It's Da Heavy's sammich, after all.

*Omnomnom.*
                        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

How about, "12 items Max".

Comment

Quoth Stryker One View Post
                            How about, "12 items Max".
                            Sounds reasonable, a lot of supermarkets and shops in my local area are going with 'basket only' rather than a specific amount of items, it makes it easier on the staff trying to enforce rules etc.
                            A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
                              Sounds reasonable, a lot of supermarkets and shops in my local area are going with 'basket only' rather than a specific amount of items, it makes it easier on the staff trying to enforce rules etc.
                              But then you get folks that have only a very few items in their cart complaining. And before you say, "Well they should have grabbed a basket instead of a cart," think about the (little old) lady that needs the cart because she cannot carry a basket.
                              Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Working...
                              X