Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you forget the only thing you bought?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you forget the only thing you bought?

I've had this happen several times. Someone comes through my lane either early in the morning or late at night and buys only a pack of cigarettes. Then they walk away without the cigarettes.
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Never happened to me, but, perhaps, since they came to you carrying nothing, they didn't expect to leave with anything?
    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Happened to me last week, to a regular customer. The next day:

"Hi! Do you want the cigarettes you left behind yesterday?"
      "Yes please! I thought someone at work nicked them."

Comment

I frequently forget things at the checkout lines. I've made it out the door with the cashier chasing me down before ... sigh. Some of us are just clueless .
        "Whether or not what you do has the effect you want, it will usually have three at least that you never expected, and one of those usually unpleasant." The Law of Unintended Consequences

Comment

Don't know if I shared this before but my mother once bought a book in a bookshop and left it behind. The next day she had to phone in and ask if they'd found...

...a book on alzheimers.

Her father had alzheimers (and what an evil illness it is) she doesn't. But she left her books in bookshops at least a couple of other times and the amount of times I've had to walk back everywhere we've been shopping trying to track down her umbrella. Grr.

Victoria J

Comment

I had someone do that with a bottle of pepsi a couple days ago

she paid cash, took her receipt and change, and walked away

Comment

I've cogitated and come up with a theory. I realized that when they leave the cigarettes they usually have either a) paid in cash or b) gotten cash back. So I've handed them something and they've stuck it in their pocket, and since I've never been asked to put a single box of cigarettes in a bag, this registers upon them as having gotten what they came for.

I don't think that was very coherent, I've been away for 18 hours, and I haven't been sleeping well.

Comment

actually arcticchicken, it makes perfect sense

Comment

Quoth nomorecarts View Post
                  actually arcticchicken, it makes perfect sense
                  Oh, good! I tend to get very wordy when I'm exhausted, and sometimes I just wind up confusing people.

Comment

I have had that happen just today. But not with an item, but with money.

The customer had just rented a movie, and I gave them thier change, which was a $10 bill. They take the movie and leave the receipt (which has their name on it) along with the money. I didn't notice this until after they left. I waited about a half an hour, just in case they noticed and stopped back in to get it. I finally had to call them, and they came back in for it.
                    "Oh, very good....Yes, it is easy to see that nearly six years of magical education have not been wasted on you, Potter. 'Ghosts are transparent.'" Severus Snape

Comment

I've forgotten my only item on more than one occasion.

One of particular note, is that I went to the store (while I still worked there) for two loaves of bread. I told the cashier to just send them down to the far end of the register rather than bagging them.

I paid for my bread, walked to the end of the register, bagged it, and put it in the cart of the person behind me. I also bagged her entire order and then left. With my bread still in her cart.

Yeah, I worked as a bagger for WAY too long.

Comment

That reminds me of the time edible hat and I went grocery shopping, we put a carton of eggs in the baby seat of the trolley, as to keep it safe from any items falling over in the cart part with my bag over the top of the carton to give a sort of padding... we then later approached the check out, duly put everything from the cart onto the convenyor belt. Still with me? Notice anything missing? Yep, the eggs.... and we paid for our groceries, except the eggs which was hidden out of sight by my bag... and the check out woman didnt even notice..... we left the store, egg carton still in babyseat, alarms didnt even go off.... it wasnt until we was in car park unloading our wares into the boot when we found the egg carton! Edible went back and explained, paid for it and the shop's staff found it funny and said its ok, it apparently happens on occasions... but still....

Comment

Not long ago, I managed to forget my credit card at the register of a newspaper and book store...
                          "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

IceLee

it happens, the store wouldn't have done anything even if they had caught it, you being there still made the store more profitable

Comment

Quoth nomorecarts View Post
                              IceLee

it happens, the store wouldn't have done anything even if they had caught it, you being there still made the store more profitable
                              and was good kharma for us.

Comment

Working...
                              X