This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interpreter mode

Deaf guy (and regular customer) comes into the store. We recognise each other exchange a few "words" in Auslan.

Then he turns to my co-worker (who doesn't sign, I'm the only signer at my workplace) who was on the till and shows her a note that says "pump 13".

Me: "Pump 13."
    co-worker: "Yes I can read!"

I claimed that I got stuck in interpreter mode.

So Nanna isnt the only one whos been doing that... - the other month when my aunty was visiting from interstate (edible hat were there) and Nanna were signing " lunch at one" to aunty and she went " No I'm not deaf, Mum!"
    ( I think Nanna's been spending too much time in my company.... )

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
      I claimed that I got stuck in interpreter mode.
      I had that happen to me a few months ago, only I was on the receiving end.

Flew to Oregon for a job interview. The day before I flew out, my voice failed, so I could just whisper. The interview actually wasn't that bad because it was in person, but I could not use the phone at all. When my plane landed, I went to an airport information desk and wrote a note to the guy working there that said, "I've lost my voice. I can't talk today. Could you please call <My Hotel> at <Hotel Phone Number> and ask them to send their shuttle to pick me up?"

Pretty straightforward, right? The guy read the note, looked at me, then wrote back, "What's your name."

I wrote my name down for him, and he politely called my hotel. His phone was rather loud, so I heard the whole conversation. When he hung up, he looked up at me, started to verbally tell me where to go to meet the shuttle, then stopped and wrote it down instead.

Apparently he thought that laryngitis = deaf and mute. I was amused.
      I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
      - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
      - IPF

Comment

Not exactly the same thing, but I called my bf about something really important, he was at the library--which I didn't realize. He was whispering, and so I whispered too!

Comment

Quoth hopie144 View Post
          Not exactly the same thing, but I called my bf about something really important, he was at the library--which I didn't realize. He was whispering, and so I whispered too!
          Gah, i do that all the time. And my fiance thinks i'm nuts when i do. But sometimes you just can't help talking to a person the same way they're talking to you, whether you need to or not.
          Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

I did something similar when I was translating between a French speaker and an English speaker. The English speaker asked for the French speaker's name, so I asked him his name in French. He replied "Rene", and I oh-so-helpfully translated "Rene".

Comment

I tend to pick up other people's accents when I talk. Spent a while on the phone with a Welsh lady when updating my car insurance once, and when I had to put her on hold to answer a question from a co-worker I apparently sounded just like Gwen Cooper from Torchwood.
              "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                I tend to pick up other people's accents when I talk.
                I've been known to do that too. I had a friend from Tennessee and every time i hung out with her i'd speak with a southern accent for the next few days.
                Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

i tend to pick pu accents too - Once almost got into a fight with some irish guys at a concert that thought i was taking the pi*s. didnt realise i was doing it
                  All of these things the worker has done
                  From tilling the fields to carrying the gun
                  We've been yoked to the plough since time first began
                  And always expected to carry the can.

Comment

Working...
                  X