This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When you aren't here we do still exist

This is a co-workers brain burp. She's not a sucky co-worker, just over tired.

She's taken next week as holiday.

We run open door advice sessions for the public three days a week. Each worker does not necessarily work all three sessions. It doesn't sound like much but believe me it is hard work - people who are in the middle of crisis, people who have already been messed up by someone, people who have no money for food. And we spend the rest of the week dealing with the work we take on in those sessions, answering the phones, seeing people again for more in depth work... A little goes a long way.

Next week there are only 3 of us working. All 3 will work all 3 sessions. Because Monday was a bank holiday we've been dealing with a back log. Because school restarts anyone who has been putting off coming in because of childcare will come in now. It's going to be a tough week.

The week after however is quiet. We are only open on the Monday. The last 3 days of the week we are spending "implementing" (why do managers talk so strangely ?) a new computer system.

In the middle of the Monday session we're having a fire drill which should be fun. But otherwise - an easy week.

So my colleague goes to leave on Friday and asks if I'm leaving too. I say no - I want to finish all my paperwork so I'm ready for next week.

"Oh, don't worry about it. You'll have plenty of time next week. Just do it in between the computer training, we're only open one day".

Um, you aren't here. We're still suffering. We don't actually cease to exist when you leave the building...

She was a bit embarrassed when I explained this to her

Victoria J
Working...
X