Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excuuuuuussse me? (My other pet peeve)

I work at a call center and whenever I say something or explain something, does it bother anyone else that the customer says in a snobby, rude, with so much
    attitude "excuuuuse me?" Its like what the hell did I say that was so wrong?
    I always say "I'm sorry" whenever I miss something a customer says but maybe its me but "excuse me" is borderline rude except when its said when somebody is in my way

But yeah, I hate that.

I seriously thought I was the only person who said "I'm sorry?" when I didn't catch something someone had said! I always hear "WHAT?!" or "Excuse me" in that real snobby tone.
    Carpe Jugulum : Go for the throat.

Comment

no Fenrus you're not the only one that says "i'm sorry"... but sadly you also aren't the only one who always hear people rudely saying "what"
      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

*joins the crowd*

Comment

I once had a customer ask me something and I responded, "What?" She made a face and told me she haaates it when her kids say "Whut". She wasn't being rude exactly, so I just passed it off as conversation. I laughed and said, "Oh, escuse me then". She shakes her head and tells me she can't stand that either. I'm like, "Uh...pardon?". She tells me that's better. I mean, WTF
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

My junior UG year I was contracted in ROTC in college, and we were readying to go on exercises for the weekend. I was put "in charge" that night. I was being run so ragged that when the Captain who was in overall charge of us third years said my name, I said "What??"

CPT: "what?! WHAT!?!??! Is that how you respond to me!?!?"

Me: (wishing I could crawl in a hole and die) Sorry, sir!!
            Testing
            "I saw a flock of moosen! There were many of 'em. Many much moosen. Out in the woods- in the woodes- in the woodsen. The meese want the food. The food is to eatenesen."

Comment

I'm partially deaf, & due to being a vain twit when I was younger, I don't have a hearing aid, & I need to go & get my hearing checked up the hospital again if I want an NHS-funded aid. Needless to say, I say 'I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch that' on a frequent basis. I avoid using 'what?' due to the number of times my mum clipped me round the ear for using it!
              "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

I don't work at a call center, but I see your point. The meaning is gathered by the inflection of the tone and can seem rude.

At my work, I use the *head tilt, eyebrows up quizzical like* "Sorry? I didn't catch that" and for added effect I cup my ear

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                  I avoid using 'what?' due to the number of times my mum clipped me round the ear for using it!
                  No offense, but that can't have helped your hearing problem very much.
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
                    No offense, but that can't have helped your hearing problem very much.
                    It's a non-operable defect I was born with. The 'clipping' was more of a sharp flick to back of the earlobe, kind of the way some twits flick peanuts at people off of a table. Doesn't do any damage but stings for a few seconds.
                    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                      It's a non-operable defect I was born with. The 'clipping' was more of a sharp flick to back of the earlobe, kind of the way some twits flick peanuts at people off of a table. Doesn't do any damage but stings for a few seconds.
                      Oh. Well, then.

I know how that goes. I've had it inflicted upon me, and I have done the same to my nephews.
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Fenrus View Post
                        I seriously thought I was the only person who said "I'm sorry?" when I didn't catch something someone had said! I always hear "WHAT?!" or "Excuse me" in that real snobby tone.
                        I always say "I'm sorry?" I've gotten so used to saying it, I think I even use it with my family now. Heh
                        "Let our mercy as deep as the Feitas and our authority as powerful as the Sun be revealed to the entire world."

Comment

I always say, "I'm sorry." too. My Mum tells me I should say "Pardon" because I shouldn't be apologising.

I got a new hearing aid today. It's awesome, it even works with the phone.

Greek Jester, don't put it off, don't be vain about it, and when you get it don't give up on it. It will improve your quality of life tremendously. It can take some getting used to, but it is well worth it.
                          "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Problem is, if you wait too long to get it, then it's nearly impossible for your ears to adjust.

My grandfather had that problem.

I have hearing loss in both ears (probably congenital, but possibly due to ear infections and a concussion as a child), but because it's mostly not the physical structure of the ear that is affected, just the brain's ability to interpret the signals correctly, a hearing aid won't work for me. Turns out the tendency runs in my mother's family.

I tend to just say 'I'm sorry, I have a slight hearing problem, could you please repeat that' or 'I'm sorry I didn't catch that' when I miss something.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
                              Greek Jester, don't put it off, don't be vain about it, and when you get it don't give up on it. It will improve your quality of life tremendously. It can take some getting used to, but it is well worth it.
                              Believe me, I'm longing for it. Unfortunately I've got some other (slightly more pressing) health issues which mean I'm taking a lot of time off work lately, & I don't want to put my long-suffering boss (who's been pretty nice about it, & even described a couple of procedures he's had to go through before to settle my nerves) through the hassle of trying to get someone to cover for me.

Plus at some point next year I'm going to be off for about a month with a wrist op (carpal tunnel) so I might see if I can get an appointment somewhere in the middle of recovery where I can (within limited boundaries e.g. pushing a button) use my hand but aren't quite up to doing up my bra or driving (necessities for getting to work).

Comment

Working...
                              X