Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

so because theres a sign that says we do...we deffinately...dont?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so because theres a sign that says we do...we deffinately...dont?

OK so i work at a Byrne Dairy (a small grocery store that specializes in selling... oh thats right DAIRY products)
    so we were having a few sales that we advertise on the front of the store in HUGE letters
    MILK $2.79!!
    so this guy comes in and walks around the whole store WALKS BY THE DAIRY CASE
    comes to the front and asks me
    uhm.... do you sell milk?
    being a highly sarcastic person i go...
    no...we dont...we're just called byrne now
    and...he left

This may seem like an odd question, does Byrne Dairy still sell milk in glass containers?

I remember they did were just about the only place that did when I was a kid, and suddenly I'm nostalgic.
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
      This may seem like an odd question, does Byrne Dairy still sell milk in glass containers?

I remember they did were just about the only place that did when I was a kid, and suddenly I'm nostalgic.
      If you want nostalgia, there's a local creamery here that still delivers milk in glass bottles each morning.

Comment

LOL at least he asked properly

when people ask if we carry something 9 out of ten times they say it like" you don't have milk? "

just bothers me when asked in a negative manner makes me feel defensive for no reason at all

at least he asked at all totally irritates me when people run in and out without letting me help them find what they want whenever I can catch someone before they leave I almost always find them what they want , slow down people your rush is wasting your time and gas

Comment

milk for $2.79? that's about half of what milk costs at every store here, except for store brand, which is $3.50 where I work and I'm not sure what it is at the competition

Comment

Quoth simpleyme View Post

when people ask if we carry something 9 out of ten times they say it like" you don't have milk? "

just bothers me when asked in a negative manner makes me feel defensive for no reason at all
            Ah, glad it's not just me then. When people phrase it like that, I automatically want to yell "I do too!" like a 5 year old.
            Let it go... Daisy, let it go... Open up your fist
            This fallen world... Doesn't hold your interest...
            Doesn't hold your soul... Daisy, let it go
            -Switchfoot

Comment

Quoth Daisy View Post
              Ah, glad it's not just me then. When people phrase it like that, I automatically want to yell "I do too!" like a 5 year old.
              Great, another set of quirks to watch out for. I do the negative question, but only if I expect a positive answer. "You don't have any item X right now?" "That's right." Sorry, but I phrase questions to get positive answers. It's easier on my brain.
              Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                Great, another set of quirks to watch out for. I do the negative question, but only if I expect a positive answer. "You don't have any item X right now?" "That's right." Sorry, but I phrase questions to get positive answers. It's easier on my brain.
                too many quirks to watch out for

the reason it bothers me is it can go wrong real fast and get personal

standard type shpeel from negative question customer

you do not have milk?
                yes we have milk
                you do not have 2%
                yes we do it's right here
                you do not have pints ?
                yes we do right here
                ick I hate that brand why cant you carry my milk ?
                its like half the time they will not quit until they finally hit something you do not have so they are made unhappy , which apparently is what they want since they work so hard for it

and sometimes you show them the milk they buy it and they are on their way those are happy times

Comment

LOL at least he asked properly

this is something that keeps trying to creep into English from French where, I am given to understand, the phrasing of the question indicates the expected answer. In fact, French goes so far as to include the expected answer, producing questions that would literally translate as "you have milk, yes?" or "you have milk, no?".
                  Since the French maintain an agency whose job is to prevent foreign influences from entering their language, I feel the very least we can do is return the favor: we can lift little bit from any language we think has come up with a nifty construction or whatever, but French is off limits.

I wish I could source the quote off-hand, but I remember a great bit by a famous author to the effect that, while all languages borrowed from each other occasionally, English has been known to follow a promising looking language into a dark alley, bash it over the head, and then go through its pockets.

Comment

I work in a public library. WE have an outside book drop on the front door. Open when the library is closed, closed when the library is open.

When we're closed and the drop is open, people pull on the book drop handle and deposit their books. Or if we're open, they can't open it and look up and see we're open. They open the door and walk in.

On one particular day, around 2pm, someone tried to open it. And it was locked. They looked up and saw the staff at the desk. And they walked away.

And this has happened more than once.

Susan
                    Children's Librarian

Comment

Quoth vloglady View Post
                      On one particular day, around 2pm, someone tried to open it. And it was locked. They looked up and saw the staff at the desk. And they walked away.

And this has happened more than once.
                      It's entirely possible that the books were overdue & they didn't want to have to pay the fine at that time. That's why I always had my library's renewal line on my mobile, & was delighted when the entire system went online & I could renew etc. there.
                      "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth SpyOne View Post
                        this is something that keeps trying to creep into English from French where, I am given to understand, the phrasing of the question indicates the expected answer. In fact, French goes so far as to include the expected answer, producing questions that would literally translate as "you have milk, yes?" or "you have milk, no?".
                        So the authors in the Battletech universe took an example from real life when they created the language structure used by the Clans, quiaff? Will people trying to buy repair parts for their 'Mechs be any less sucky than current customers, quineg?
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                        X