This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this Comfort Dental?

So I recently moved, and with moving came a new home phone number. I am 2 digits away from being Comfort Dental (I found out when someone called and tried to make an appointment with me.) The following SC (Silly Caller) didn't quite believe me when I told him he'd dialed the wrong number.

*riiiiiing*
    Me: *tries to swallow mouthful of breakfast muffin in time to answer* Hello?
    SC: Is this Comfort Dental?
    Me: No, this is TheSnakeLady. You have the wrong number.
    SC: Comfort Dental?
    Me: You switched the last two numbers you dialed.
    SC: Is this 555-1234?
    Me: No, this is 555-1243. You have the wrong number.
    SC: Oh.
    *click*

Opposite situation: There used to be some guy who frequently call our shop looking for someone named Eugene. Convo went about the same every time.

Me: ***-**** Custard of ****. How can I help you?
    Guy: Yeah, is Eugene there.
    Me: Sorry, nobody named Eugene works here.
    Guy: Well, when's he coming home?
    Me: Sir, this is not a residence. This is an ice cream stand.
    Guy: (Confused incoherent mumbling, hang-up).

He never once seemed to notice that I announced the name of the business at the start of phone call.

Comment

This happened years ago but still ...

Phone: **ring, ring**
      Sparky: Hello?
      Caller: I'd like to speak to Jennifer.
      Sparky: You have the wrong number, there's no Jennifer here.
      Caller in condescending tone: Are you a freshman?
      Sparky: goes ballistic

The guy probably thought he was calling a sorority house or something. Wrong-o. Still,
      Women can do anything men can.
      But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
      Maxine

Comment

were only one digit off the rural non emergancy police line for our city and surrounding areas

we have had so many calls in the middle of the night, I hate the phone when I am in Canada

and K wonders why I screen
        I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

sometimes you just want to mess with them after that...

"Yes this is comfort dental. *hic* You callin for the party? Yeah, we're playing, pin the drill on the patient. Got lots of booze too! O crap. I think Marty just stabbed himself in the leg with the drill... "

and i'm reminded of what one comedian said (probably all fake but still funny).... his phone number was one digit off from the local golf course, so people kept calling him up to request a tee time. So he started giving them out. Then he'd drive to the course just to watch...

Comment

I'm not sure what digit Mom's 2nd phone line is off from, but several years ago I had to deal with a woman who kept calling for several weeks looking for "Betty."

You'd think she'd have double-checked her number before attempting another call, but obviously not. I think she kept hitting the redial button on her phone, despite my numerous attempts over a period of several weeks to tell her that she had the wrong number.

Then, about 5 or 6 weeks into this, I had to answer that damn phone 3 times within a ten minute period . . . all from this same woman. I finally decided enough was enough and simply yelled at her over the phone:

"BETTY IS AT FRED'S HOUSE MAKING THE BED ROCK!" and I turned off the phone.

Never heard back from her again.
            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

While at working at <The Music Store> we had a number of different lines in/out of the store.

Each line had it's own number.

Including one directly into the security office (where I could be found a fair amount of time viewing CCTV)

The local hospital printed a couple of thousand leaflets, telling the patient how to contact the hospital and how to make/change/cancel their appointment. There was however one problem. They misprinted. With the number for the security office.

I took dozens of calls and had to explain very gently with words of one sylable that the number was printed wrong, and no they couldn't speak to Dr. Green, nor could they change their appt as they had the Wrong Number.
              A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

About a year ago, what is now my home phone number, was that of a garage that was closed, sold, and now re-opened.

It's been bad enough that I have "You have reached NPA-NXX-XXXX. If you are calling for car repairs, you have dialed the wrong number." on the answering machine.

And yes, I still get messages left from people looking for either oil changes or advertising companies trying to collect money.

B
                "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
                I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

We had a woman who just couldn't remember from year to year that our phone number was not her podiatrist's. So we'd call them and have them call her.

What I don't understand are the people who can't go through the logic progression for wrong numbers. If you call and I know it's a wrong number you've either:

Dialed a number incorrectly. Or,

Dialed correctly to the wrong subscriber.

So if I ask you "What number are you trying to reach?" I'm not trying to get "all up in your bizness," I'm trying to eliminate one of the options and maybe help you with the other!!!!

If you give me my number, I'll tell you you've dialed correctly, but that is not the number you're trying to reach. No, I don't know the correct number. Depending on where we are and how many exchanges there are, there are 100 to 1000 THOUSAND possible combinations.
                  No. I'm not lying either. And if I were you, I'd be a little less anxious about staying in touch with the sort of people who WOULD lie to hide from you.

If you give me a number that is not mine, I'll tell you you've missdialed. No, I don't know how. Yes I am sure. (See possibility number two above. ) Do not hit redial - that is this number. POKE IT IN AGAIN! CAREFULLY.

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                  simply yelled at her over the phone:
                  "BETTY IS AT FRED'S HOUSE MAKING THE BED ROCK!" and I turned off the phone.
                  Never heard back from her again.

Does Barney know?

My favorite along that line is from Danny DeVito as Sam Stone in 'Ruthless People.'

Sam: [answering the phone] Hello? Debbie? Yeah, Debbie's here, who's this? Well, Ralph, uh, Debbie can't talk right now, my ****'s in her mouth. How about if I have her call you back later when I'm done?
                  [hangs up and laughs]
                  Sam: I love wrong numbers.

God he was wonderfully horrid in that movie!
                  Last edited by sms001; 09-28-2008, 09:39 PM.

Comment

I am reminded of The Muffin Bitch.

The Muffin Bitch would call my cell phone (at the time, I'd had the phone for two years) and always leave messages for her boyfriend Bruce, lovingly called "Muffin".

After getting "Muffin, call meeeeeeee!" for several weeks, and text messages (which is why I still have text messages blocked) and returned calls saying that her stupid boyfriend was not here, she had the wrong number (and she insisted I was sleeping with him; HELLO! I was 14!!).....

I changed my voicemail; (nice sexy voice here) "Hi... my name is Bruce *giggle* I can't come to the phone right now, please leave a message and I'll be very happy to return your call.
                    Oh, and if you're looking for EQ, I'll explain when I call you back."

Three years later and still no calls from The Muffin Bitch.
                    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I am reminded of The Muffin Bitch. To qoute Evil Queen

Reminds me of my cell phone now. I just got it this past year and I get all sorts of calls for some chick named Sandra.
                      Now what I have gathered from about this girl is she has a lot of "male friends" and goes to the doctors a lot. I got a call at least once a month from the doctor confirming her appt. I finally told them that this isn't her number anymore and if she ever shows up to get a new number from her.
                      The one I do feel kinda bad about is the guy that would text me Vegas. Now I had to fight with him for an hour that I wasn't her. When he finally told me, 'well we had sex without a condem' so getting pissed about telling him time and time again that I'm not her, I finally told him, 'oh so your the baby's daddy' Never heard from him again. I know I know I shouldn't have done that, but damn when I tell you that I just recently got the number and I'm not Sandra I'm not lieing to you I promise.

Comment

Reminds me of the couple wrong-callers I've gotten. One was on my cell phone, went something like this:

*phone rings*
                        Me: Hello?
                        Him: Is So-n-so there?
                        Me: Sorry, but you have the wrong number.
                        Him: Who is this? *rather snottily*
                        Me: *confused* Who is this?
                        Him: I said, who is this?

Went back and forth a couple times until I changed tactics

Me: What number are you trying to reach, sir?
                        Him: Oh, uh, I have the wrong number. *click*

And this was while trying to help navigate my wife through downtown Chicago traffic during morning rush hour...

The other was on my home phone:

*phone rings*
                        Me: Hello?
                        Him: Is Such-n-such there? (sounds like he's late teens, early twenties)
                        Me: No, sorry, I think you have the wrong number.
                        Him: Is this xxx-xxxx?
                        Me: Yes, but there's no one here by that name.
                        Him: How long have you had this number?
                        Me: Uh... a couple months?
                        Him: Ok, thanks. *click*

Then a couple days later...

*BoomBoomBoom goes the front door*
                        I find this gangsta-wannabe standing on my front porch, with a couple friends behind him

Him: Such-n-such Lastname?
                        (I recognized the last name from some of the mail we still get from the previous tenant)
                        Me: Uh, no, they moved out a while back.
                        Him: Alright, thanks.

I'm guessing he had Such-n-such's address, and looked up my phone number off of it. Must have needed to find him bad, because we talked to the apartment office manager the next day, and they had stopped in there asking for the same guy.

Comment

When my family and I lived in Texas (Plano, TX, for three years), the family that had the phone number before us kept giving it out on job applications and the like, so we kept getting calls for them, sometimes from collection agencies and the like.

I still hate those deadbeats.
                          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

i felt bad for this one collection agency. They kept calling the apartment that me and some friends rented, looking for an Elizabeth.

Problem: Myself and another roommate were BOTH named Elizabeth.

They never wanted to believe when we said, "There are two Elizabeths here, but neither is the one you want."
                            "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

I don't give out my cell number unless I absolutely have to. Only my family, friends, and a couple of business contacts know the number, and every one of them is stored in the phone, so they come up on caller ID.

I've had that number for almost a year now, and the whole time I've been getting calls for Heather - they usually go like this:

ME: Hello?
                              HIM: Hey.
                              Me:...
                              HIM: Sup?
                              ME: Who is this?
                              HIM: It's me.
                              ME: Who is this?
                              HIM: Oh shit. Is this Heather?
                              ME: Nope, wrong number.
                              HIM: Oh. Sorry. *Click*

What kills me is that it's the same couple of people calling for Heather, and every conversation goes just like that. After damn near a year they can't figure out why they get that other chick every time they call Heather.
                              Let it go... Daisy, let it go... Open up your fist
                              This fallen world... Doesn't hold your interest...
                              Doesn't hold your soul... Daisy, let it go
                              -Switchfoot

Comment

Working...
                              X