This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SC at a local breakfast place

Where I live there is this small restaurant called the Orginal Pancake House. This is NOT an IHOP at all, this is a local store that has some of the best food that a person will ever eat. The place is notorious for long lines from 11-1. When I say long lines, I mean out the door lines everyday, even in the winter. The food is that good there and I'd never tire of it.

One day about a year ago, some friends and I were going to Toronto and decided to stop at the Orginal Pancake House. We got there just before 11, so the rush was starting, we were in the lobby of the place when as soon as we get completely inside, this gentleman (AKA asshat) puts on a fit. He says that he is an important lawyer and that he needs to be served first. The hostess just ignores him which does not please the lawyer. People around me are looking at this guy meanly because he obviously does not understand that this place is always busy. The lawyer then puts on another fit shoving me aside and starts yelling at the hostess. We hear the usual spiel of the SC and demands to see the manager. Hostess gets said manager, lawyer complains about everything, manager tells him that no exceptions are made. Lawyer complains some more and threatens to sue him. Manager is sick of this guy and throws him out for being disruptive. People applauded him, and as always the food was extrordinary.
    The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

He'd had never made it past shoving me if I were you.

Reminds me of a woman at an IHOP in Myrtle Beach. She went up to the hostess and said "It's been more than 15 minutes, wer'e out of here". 5 minutes later, we were seated, and we got there after them.

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
      He'd had never made it past shoving me if I were you.
      I agree. Attention all SC's: I will not move unless you ask me nicely, and my foot might just happen to stay planted as you try to walk past. In this case, it's a good thing he's a lawyer because I'm not above falling on the floor dramatically and complaining of back pain.

Reminds me of a woman at an IHOP in Myrtle Beach. She went up to the hostess and said "It's been more than 15 minutes, wer'e out of here". 5 minutes later, we were seated, and we got there after them.
      My mom isn't quite that bad, but she will make us leave if the wait is too long. Funny thing, though, when it's Sunday around lunchtime (the single busiest time for restaurants in my town) and we've already waited 30 minutes at Restaurant A, leaving for Restaurant B to wait 25 more minutes is not going to save any time. I wonder what makes people think that it does?
      ...don't you know the first law of physics? "Anything that's fun costs at least $8.00."
      - Cartman

Comment

Quoth phillippbo View Post
        we've already waited 30 minutes at Restaurant A, leaving for Restaurant B to wait 25 more minutes is not going to save any time. I wonder what makes people think that it does?
        It's the principal of it I guess. They said 30 it better be 30. I'll admit I get mad when it's over what they quote (Esp. if I'm hungry and I've been waiting over an hour) But not enough to start over when I know I'm going to wait again.

Don't want to wait, go home and COOK!

Comment

It's the principal of it I guess. They said 30 it better be 30. I'll admit I get mad when it's over what they quote (Esp. if I'm hungry and I've been waiting over an hour)
          I get a bit mad in situations like that as well, but I'm usually not the type to do anything more than ask again in an annoyed tone and note to myself to be weary of going there again. Also depends on how busy the place is. If it looks hectic, I have a lot more patience for delays.

<tangent>
          I'm generally a very patient person so it takes a lot to set me off. Few people have seen me really angry, and I usually scare them when I am because it's so unlike me. In terms of restraunts, the only time I got angry to the point that I did something about it was once when I was eating at a Cosi. Well, eating was what I was hoping to do. Boyfriend and I sat were seated and waited to be served... and waited... and waited. Finally a waitress (which is supposed to be our waitress as she was the only one serving our area) comes over, yay we can get something.. oh wait. "Are you two using these chairs?" grrrr. Group of 5 guys comes in and sits at the table next to us, waitress comes and flirts with them for a while, and before I know it they have their food and drinks. The waitress hasn't even talked to us yet. We were waiting at least a half hour at our table, in real time not CS time. I finally got fed up and brought our menus up and told the manager how long we were waiting and we were now leaving. Manager apologized got us our food quickly and comp'd our drinks and reamed out the waitress. I guess I could have flagged down a waiter, but that's not something I should have to do, so I don't do it, especially since we weren't really hungry, we were just wasting time.

Comment

I can just see the lawsuit now. "You honour, my client is suing the defence for failure to bump a lawyer to the front of the queue when requested, under section ... uh ... well .... my client is pretty sure it's got to be illegal somewhere."

Comment

I nearly was going to knock a woman on her ass for calling my aunt a bitch....and thats just for calling a name...if that guy would have pushed me aside I would have more than likely given him a shove back and asked him wheat his Mo'fo problem is.
              NEVER underestimate the stupidity of the customer

Comment

There's an original pancake house out here, too. God, they have the most orgasmically good fresh squeezed OJ.....mmmmm.....

Comment

Quoth Kitten in the box View Post
                  I nearly was going to knock a woman on her ass for calling my aunt a bitch....and thats just for calling a name...if that guy would have pushed me aside I would have more than likely given him a shove back and asked him wheat his Mo'fo problem is.
                  Me, too. I offered to "put out a cigarette" for someone who was having trouble reading the "no smoking" signs in a hotel lobby once. I tend to to be a little on the volatile side.

Comment

To be honest, if lawyer-boy was acting like that much of an ass, and he shoved me, I would have exaggerated the effect and stayed down for a few minutes in "pain"....the fear of being sued would have likely made him leave toute suite
                    DJ Particle

Comment

It's the principal of it I guess. They said 30 it better be 30.
                      I think thats an estimate time.... they have to wait until other people leave and so they guess at how far through the meal they are, its not really and exact science. Its not like they can throw other customers out right?

Personally when I go out, if we cant reserve a table for a specific time, then were happy to go anywhere and if we see a line up we will only wait if the foods usually good....Ive never had to wait more than 20 minutes anyway
                      I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Well, the thing about getting mad if it's over the time they say, is that it's pointless.

The place wants to make you happy. They hope to make you happy. But if they are basing their time estimate on the average table turnover, and then get a bunch of dawdlers, what can they do? Throw the other customers out? Of course not. You can always go hang out at the bar and order an appetizer to tide you over.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                          The place wants to make you happy. They hope to make you happy. But if they are basing their time estimate on the average table turnover, and then get a bunch of dawdlers, what can they do? Throw the other customers out? Of course not. You can always go hang out at the bar and order an appetizer to tide you over.
                          OR...

You could find out what table the dawdlers have been hogging for two hours after paying the check and go stand there staring at them until they get uncomfortable and leave.

Not that I've ever done that or anything.
                          The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Quoth Dips View Post
                            You could find out what table the dawdlers have been hogging for two hours after paying the check and go stand there staring at them until they get uncomfortable and leave.

Not that I've ever done that or anything.
                            My ex did something like that once. A large group of us went out to my favorite restraunt for my birthday. This place only has a couple tables for groups over 4, and doesn't take reservations. We called as we were leaving to get ourselves on the list so that they knew we were coming. We got there and were told out table would be ready in a minute, as the group at our table was just finishing up. The minute ended up being a half hour because the people just would not leave. They weren't even drinking coffee or something. So my ex, who was on a mission to make it as good as a birthday as he could, leaves our group for a minute and asks the table of dawdlers to leave so we can eat.

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post
                              I think thats an estimate time.... they have to wait until other people leave and so they guess at how far through the meal they are, its not really and exact science. Its not like they can throw other customers out right?

Personally when I go out, if we cant reserve a table for a specific time, then were happy to go anywhere and if we see a line up we will only wait if the foods usually good....Ive never had to wait more than 20 minutes anyway

I agree it's an estimate. It has to be. I've been quoted an hour and sat in 35 minutes. I only ever get mad if it goes way over the estimate.

And 20 minutes!?!? Wow. The Margaritaville in Myrtle Beach was 2 hours for a group of 2. We got sat in an hour & a half or so.

Comment

Working...
                              X