This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• today is the day.

A while back my mom was complaining of chest pains. Her being her, jus sucked it up. She finally gave up though and we took her to the hospital. (My sister and I were relived, though mom didn't think much of it. But she just got to tired of the pain).

She had to get a heart stint put in. I don't really understand too much of it, but I guess her heart wasn't getting enough oxygen or something. All was well for a few weeks. She had already quit smoking and drinking, and started to eat heart healthy stuff. Then it started to hurt again. She shrugged it off, til she was basically on the ground crying. This time I forced her to admit herself to the hospital. They had to put in ANOTHER heart stint.

Now about two weeks ago, she was having problems again. I keep telling her to go, but she just shrugged it off. She finally got it so she could have some time off this week. Sunday night she gets admited. Monday afternoon before I get to work, my sister calls me. I was suppose to meet up with them, but I overslept.

My mom's getting open heart surgery today. They can't for whatever reason put in another heart stint. She's having a SINGLY bypass. Not double or triple.

But even one is too much for me. I'm the first to admit, and make fun, I'm a freaking mama's boy. I really don't know how I'll handle it if anything goes wrong. We suppose to meet her later today. I didn't even know bypass could go this quickly. I don't even know really what is all about. I tried to understand it online, but it just technomumble jumble.

I just hope it all goes well.
    Military Spouse Support.
    http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
    Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

I'll be thinking of you and yours today. Take care and let us know how everything goes!

Comment

Single bypass is a piece of cake these days though. Yes, it's open-heart surgery, but that isn't the major drama it used to be. This is serious stuff, but the chances of anything happening to her are minimal with the surgical advances we've seen in the last 5-10 years *hug* Have faith, and be supportive, and everything will come out as it should!
      GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Bypass surgery means there's a clog in her arteries somewhere near her heart, and they go in and adjust the artery to bypass the clog and get blood flowing freely to her heart again. This is actually preventative surgery, it will make her much less likely to have a heart attack in the future, although it does mean she probably has high cholesterol, as that is what usually causes the blockage. A single bypass means there is only one clot they have to bypass, not 2 or 3.

I hope everything goes all right. Try not to panic, the odds are that she will be fine.
        Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

Yeah, they tend to not fool around too much with heart-related stuff. I hope she has a speedy recovery.
          "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
          Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

My Dad got a quadruple bypass a couple years ago. I know how nerve-racking that is! The surgery got started late too so we have to wait almost 8 hours for any news.

Good luck to your mom! I'm sure everything will be fine.
            https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Reading this late.

Hope all went well.
              Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Good luck to her and I hope for a speedy and successful recovery.
                Quote Dalesys:
                ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Hey.. she has caring children. She'll be fine.

Comment

Sorry. Haven't beeen home for a few days.

It was scary, I couldn't see her til late after her surgery. An assissant was nice to come and tell us nice details in a happy voice that 'Ok, so right now, her heart isn't pumping blood, but its got a nice machine to do it for her'. And other deals. Granted, I'm sure they just wanted us to be informed, but it was still nerve wracking.

After words, she was sleeping, with about thiry thousand different gizmos and tubes and everything. It was scary. We had to leave after a few minutes. In the morning, we went back. She couldn't talk, and had to trace her fingers on her pillow to ask simple questions. We were ask to leave again for only a few minutes, long enough for them to start taking tubes out. She talked for a few minutes, but wanted to sleep. We went back later that night. She was more active and talkative, though still liking her special button of morphine she could press every ten minutes.

In anycase, she gets to come home in a week or so. Then six weeks of home rest. I also got to get my hours bumped up at work. So this means many things.

Much more stories, right?
                    Me= Much more grumpy and tired.
                    Mom=Gets to sit around and be bored.
                    Me=Even less sleep, and no meds so I can take care of mom at a moments notice.

I'm also considering getting some of my vacation hours cashed out. I got more then a 100 hours saved up, and would be most likey about 1000 dollars.

Anyone know what to do afterwordS? I know she can't move her arms too much. She has to hug this pilllow while she gets up and such.
                    Military Spouse Support.
                    http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                    Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Well, when she gets discharged, she'll probably get a list of things she can and can't do. That list is GOD. She'll probably want to get up and start doing things. She can't. And you're probably going to have to watch her like a hawk to make sure she follows the rules.

Tell her that she's overdue for some pampering! Moms tend to like that.
                      "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                      Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

It will be easier on you if you make sure she has stuff to occupy her while she's stuck in bed. If she doesn't have a TV in her room, you might consider moving your living room TV in there and giving her the remote. And make sure she has books, magazines, games or anything else she likes to do within easy reach. Maybe buy her some audio books or something too. If she's occupied a lot of the time, she won't need you around so much and you'll be able to get a little rest.
                        Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

**Hugs** I know what you are going through. My Dad had pretty much the same surgery your Mom did last year. List of what see can't is the law and so it the pillow. Don't let her move without it. First week home she will probably be pretty tired and won't move too much. About the second week she will be getting bored and then it will be fun getting her to rest. Of course this could have just been my Dad and he is just stubborn.

Does she do any crafts, ie knitting, cross stich etc? If she does when she is up to it might want to have a project that she can work on ready for her. Netflix might be a good thing to have. Also she if she wants any books picked up.

Good Luck!! After this is all done she will feel a lot better!
                          Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Whoah...Plaidman...look after yourself and please don't stop taking your meds.

I know you want to be alert to look after her, but you need to consider that you wouldn't be on the meds if you didn't need them.

Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Hey Plaidman,

I'm late to this thread. I hope all is still going well. Be sure to take care of yourself too, OK? It's easy to forget that.

Hugs.
                              The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Working...
                              X