This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bon Voyage

This didn't happen in a retail setting but it was the worst Brain Burp of my life. I hope the good folks here at CS enjoy it.

We were leaving for a three week holiday and would be returning on a transatlantic crossing from Genoa to NYC. We were leaving on the first of the month so, the night before, I wrote out all the checks for our monthly bills, applied the proper postage and piled the envelopes in a neat, short stack on the Dining Room table. We'd mail them in the morning when the car arrived to take us to the airport.

All went well on the day of departure. We had all out travel documents in order. All our packing was complete. The car arrived on time and check-in at the airport was smooth. We settled into our seats and anticipated a nice Alitalia dinner. The plane was cleared for take-off and, just as the landing gear was raised, I remembered (an organ sting, please)

ALL THE ENVELOPES WERE STILL PILED IN A NEAT, SHORT STACK ON THE DINING ROOM TABLE

I thought I'd crossed all the Ts and dotted all the Is before we took this trip. Instead, I's dotted all the Ts and when I figured out what I'd done, my Is crossed themselves.
    Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

Thats funny, you tried so hard but still your plan failed and you were thrwarted! Can a family member who has a spare key collect the letters for you and mail them?

My Mother has a thing for houseplants, she has hundreds of the things. years ago she was going on her honeymoon and my grandfather told her a good way to keep them all alive was to place them in the bath tub and run the water until It was an inch up the side. Then they would have enough water to last a week or two.

She came back to find water pouring out the front door, she never turned the tap off....

by the way I hope you have a lovely trip!
    I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post
      run the water until It was an inch up the side. Then they would have enough water to last a week or two.

She came back to find water pouring out the front door, she never turned the tap off....
      Oh NO!....

When my mom goes to visit friends in Paris, I usually stay over at her apartment to take care of McGriff (he's one of those "velcro" furbabies who absolutely cannot be left alone for longer than a normal workday), eat up the stuff in the fridge, make sure nothing really bad happens, etc. At least once she'll call me from the airport or her destination regarding a bill that she either forgot to mail or one that would come due when she is still away so could I pay it and she would reimburse me.
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

It's OK Kiwi, but thanks for your concern.

We don't live anywhere near family & it never dawned on us to leave a key with a neighbor. This happened back in 2000 and yes, we had a wonderful holiday. The ship was the maiden crossing of the Millennium and we were traveling with the World Ship Society so there were parties and special programs galore.
        Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

Comment

Working...
        X