This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Do YOUR Job and I'll Do Mine

That's it. October must be National Jerk Month or something.

I'm just getting used to the whiny hagglers and now I'm dealing with the know-it-all idiot purchasing agents.

Caller: I need a quote for an update.

Me: OK. What is the license number you want to update?

Caller: Can't you give me a price?

Me: The price depends on when you bought it and how many users it is for.

Caller: We bought in in March 2005. Just give me an estimate

Me: OK. If it's for one user, the price is probably $200. However, we can't confirm the price until we have a license number

Caller: I don't have the license number. I'd need to call the department for it.

Me: We're here until 5pm. You can call me back at [extension]. You're going to need to provide a license number at the time you place your order, so you're going to have to call the department an get it before you place your order anyway.

Caller: I just need firm price. I think they have five licenses.

Me: [didn't you just ask for an estimate?] OK. Since you aren't sure of the number of users I'll definitely need to know the license number before I can provide a quote.

Caller: So you're telling me you won't give me a price until I give you more information?

Me: [I *think* that what I just said, chump] Yes. If they registered, I can try to look up the license number by name in our database for you. Do you know if they registered?

Caller: No. I don't know. You know what? I don't think we want to buy anything after all.

Me: [You're going to take you ball and go home because I'm asking you basic questions you don't feel like finding the answers to?] That's your decision. I'll be at [extension] until 5pm, if you get the license numbers.

Caller: Why do you need them?

Me: [I'm looking up the org's name in our database and I see that they have a BUNCH of registered licenses, most for one user, one for five users, all bought at various time] To be truthful, sir. People often don't recall when they bought the software or how many users they have.

Caller: I do. We bought it in March 2005.

Me: OK. I've been looking your organization up and I found two licenses purchased in March 2005. One is a single license and one is for 5-users. The five user is license number ########### and will cost you $700 to update. That price is ONLY good for updating license number ######### only, the one user license num...

Caller: [Interupting] That's fine. That's all I wanted. I don't know why you couldn't do that at first.

Me: OK. But you need to understand that if the department actually isn't using license number ##########, then buying an update for license number ######## isn't going to do them any good.

Caller: Yeah. Yeah. I got it.

So I finished the call and later went to do some data entry and found out that somebody else at that same organization has been trying out a trial version of the update. He even provided his license number. Guess what? It wasn't #########. It was the number for the one user license Mr. Important never got because he interupted me before I could give it him.

I suppose I should call Mr. Important back and let him know that he's probably about to spend $700 updating the wrong license...
    Last edited by Dips; 10-05-2006, 09:26 PM.
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Quoth Dips View Post
    That's it. October must be National Jerk Month or something.
    Here, take a look at my reasons to celebrate in October--

October is Adopt-A-Dog Month, Computer Learning Month, National Apple Jack Month, National Car Care Month, National Clock Month, National Cosmetology Month, National Dessert Month, National Pickled Pepper Month, National Popcorn Poppin' Month, National Pretzel Month, National Sarcastics Month, National Seafood Month, National Kitchen and Bath Month, and Vegetarian Awareness Month.

I don't see National Jerk Month, but if I remember, I can add it to my list next year.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I think I'd just let Mr. Important spend his $700. I wouldn't call him back, but I guess I'm just a jerk that way.
      I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
        Here, take a look at my reasons to celebrate in October--

<snip>
        MY reason to celebrate? October is the time for Key West's Fantasy Fest, one of the most insane events anywhere at any time.

As I describe Fantasy Fest to my friends back home in Phoenix:

"It's an island-full of crazy, drunk, naked, horny people with costumes and beads."

And by island-full, I mean that this island of 28,000 invites 75,000 of our closest friends, most of whom we don't know, to partake in said festivities.

Vegetarian Awareness Month? Never noticed it.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

According to the powers that be here at my place of employment - a call center, this week is National Customer Service week. So, to celebrate National CUSTOMER SERVICE week, they planned a WHOLE bunch of events that take us away from the phones in order to participate in.

WEE HOO!!! Put your customer on hold week and come pop a freakin balloon for a prize!

Oh, my "prize" this week when I participated the one time out of many...a chip clip that has the name of my company on it! WOAH! Can you tell why I only participated once?
          Last edited by friendofjimmyk; 10-06-2006, 12:42 PM. Reason: add my prize information
          "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
            Oh, my "prize" this week when I participated the one time out of many...a chip clip that has the name of my company on it!
            Congratulations! Don't spend it all in one place!
            Sometimes life is altered.
            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
            Uneasy with confrontation.
            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
              Congratulations! Don't spend it all in one place!
              Gee thanks!
              "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth DesignFox View Post
                I think I'd just let Mr. Important spend his $700. I wouldn't call him back, but I guess I'm just a jerk that way.
                Too late. I called.

I got Mr. Important's voice mail. It seems that Mr. Important was in such a hurry because he was on his way out early for the long weekend (he's in Canada so it's Thanksgiving weekend coming up). That's why calling the department to verify the license number was too much trouble, I guess. It was going to make him late for his weekend plans. So he brushed me off, slapped out the P.O. for $700 (we got the fax within minutes of ending the call), and immediately booked it out of there. Since there's nothing wrong with the P.O. (it's all in order and Mr. Important signed it) we pretty much have no choice but to fill it. Don't forget, we still don't know for a fact that he's updating the wrong license.

I also made sure to email the other guy, the one trying out the trial on the single license, to tell him to make sure that his purchasing department gets his license number if he decides to buy the update and that the price would be $200. That not only provides good customer service to the user by giving him vital information, it also covers my butt if Mr. Important did, in fact, update the wrong license.

Since I've distanced myself from the proverbial fan, Tuesday might be entertaining.
                Last edited by Dips; 10-06-2006, 04:29 PM.
                The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Working...
                X