This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Brilliance of Time-Shifting

So I'm a phone Jockey at Corp and therefore hear a lot of really stupid questions and see things that would make most heads explode on a daily basis.

Yesterday I got an absolute Hall-of-Famer that I am still trying to wrap my head around.

I'm Australian by upbringing and moved to this lovely land of Canada only a handful of years ago. To eke out the homesickness I generally listen to a Perth Radio starion during the day at work.

This has always gotten a few strange questions, one from a merchandise allocator who was curious as to why all of the Announcers had Australian Accents ... (this was after they had asked me if it was an Australian station and had been listening to it themselves for a couple of days on thier own computer)

The best/worst came yesterday from one of our clothing vendors.

The conversation went like this:

SJ - The true blue Aussie sheila
    DB - Dumb blonde who is actually a brunette

DB - So this is Australian, right?
    SJ - Yup. Perth, on the West Coast
    DB - Sydney?
    SJ - ... Yeah ... Okay ... Sydney.
    DB - So you're a day ahead over there, right?
    SJ - 12 hours, actually. Unless we're talking Sydney, which is 14 or 15 ...
    DB - So a day ahead. Cool.
    SJ - ...

Begin countdown to brain explosion .... 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

DB - So if you're a day ahead ... Does that mean you get the news a day before we do in Canada?
    SJ - ... Wha?
    DB - Yeah, because if you are a day ahead over there, you know what's happening a day before we do.
    SJ - Are you being serious?
    DB - Yes I am. Maybe I should listen too, so I know what's happening before the rest of the country.
    SJ - ... Uh, yeah?
    DB - That makes sense, right?

And these people all think that *I* am the moron??

SJ
    Last edited by SwanJun; 10-04-2008, 01:40 PM. Reason: Must learn how to type
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

my mum once asked if I should send calenders to K's parents for christmas

then she was like... oh now wait your a day behind arnt you (BC is 4-5 hours behind Auckland) so if its monday the 1st here it will be sunday the 1st in canada right....

yes mum... yes thats right
    I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Well, that made my poor head throb.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth SwanJun View Post
        DB - So if you're a day ahead ... Does that mean you get the news a day before we do in Canada?
        SJ
        I have trouble with how the international date line works, but that is RIDICULOUS! (I own a watch with a 'world time' function for a reason.)

Be thankful, though! They could have been calling for the lotto numbers! Because we all know what happens when a SC is told that their (ludicrous, impossible) expectations are not going to be met...

Comment

How did you prevent yourself from putting your hand on the back of his head and having his face become good friends with your desk?
          Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Very carefully, EQ. Very, very, carefully.
            Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Working...
            X