This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pre-authorization????

Okay I understand that not many people ever spend nights in hotel rooms. Fine.

But, why do they freak out when the computer does pre-authorizations? Our computer system is also set up to pre-authorize about 15% more then the room rate just in case the guest makes phones calls or rents movies (have to make sure there is enough credit just in case). Now, if a guest checks out & only had the room charge, then in a couple days the actual charge will settle & the authorization will release.

Now...this happens at nearly every hotel I have ever stayed at & at some restaurants (for tip). So, why do guests call back that day after viewing thier credit card balances online & freak out that they were charged more? hmmm

& why can't our front desk braindeads tell them why? No one listens... So it always sounds good when a front desk person says, "Geee, I don't know why you were charged that..." And we wonder why guests get annoyed & think the hotel ignorant?

urg.
    When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

I'm kinda on the fence with this one... As nice as it is with the pre-authorized destruction, could there be a way to just authorize the price of the room, then on another transaction make a "broke stuff" authorization, so they don't think they've been overcharged?

I dunno... I guess it's easier to do it how it's done now.
    Carpe Jugulum : Go for the throat.

Comment

The problem with two seperate auths is that you'd have to run the card twice. And doing that can trigger the "suspicious spending" alarm on some cards and get it locked down.
      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I wish people would get it through their heads that the company that charged your card has no control over when the pre-authorization drops off of the account.

I suspect the bit about the pre-authorization may be in any agreements they sign when reserving the room. Although I could be wrong.

Comment

Let me tell you a story about a hotel pre-authorizing my debit card...

I was 22 at the time, and traveling with my family. We were going to a family reunion, you see, and I went on a little side trip to see something I'd been wanting to see for years. Due to scheduling issues, I ended up having to spend the night at a hotel by myself on my side trip. The plan was to rejoin the extended family the next day for the reunion.

I'm always very cautious when traveling. I don't walk down dark alleys, I don't walk under ladders, and I find out in advance, while making reservations with rental places, hotels, etc, exactly what it will cost me. I carry very little cash on me; Enough to tip people, enough to use a couple vending machines. I keep the bulk of my cash on a debit card, but even then I take the precaution of only loading it with a bit more money than I'll need.

For my side-trip, I was carrying a small cooler of food, to keep my expenses down. I'd already paid for my round trip ticket before leaving for the side-trip, and the only expenses I expected to incur on the way would be tipping the hotel bellboy, tipping the housekeeping staff, admission at my destination, and so forth. I had a little extra cash, but only enough for a couple vending machines, maybe an ice cream cone.

Unfortunately for me, the hotel didn't inform me they pre-authorize things like room service, hotel staff tips, the snack bar in the room, and so forth, just in case I'm a deadbeat. So I arrived at my destination (100 miles from my family), checked into the hotel, then went to my touristy destination. And when I tried to pay my admission, my card declined. The only money I had available was my tip and vending machine cash. Which was not enough for the admission. And my cellphone wasn't showing any bars. So I got to go back to the hotel instead of doing the thing that was my sole purpose for even staying at the hotel in the first place.

Back at the hotel, I called my bank, and had them check my account statement for me. Seems the hotel had taken more money than they quoted me for the room. Complaining to the hotel didn't do any good, since the pre-auth thing was in the fine print they never mentioned to me over the phone.

So I was out nearly $100 in hotel room and $60 in my round trip ticket. And because the hotel stole money from me, my entire trip was wasted. You bet I was pissed. The hotel removed the pre-auth in a couple business days, but by then it was far, far too late.

My example is fairly extreme, but it does illustrate just how supremely sucky a pre-auth can be. To say nothing of the pure insult involved in telling a random stranger "We think you're a scumbag thief, so we're taking a little extra money in case you take our stuff and refuse to pay." Nowadays, I make a point of asking if they pre-authorize. But at the time, it never occurred to me that I had to ask them "Are you sure the total you just quoted me is all you'll be charging me?"

If someone ever lies to me on the phone about a pre-auth, you bet I'll be talking to the attorney general, as well as suing.
          Last edited by Difdi; 10-07-2008, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Quoth Difdi View Post
            And because the hotel stole money from me, my entire trip was wasted. You bet I was pissed. The hotel removed the pre-auth in a couple business days, but by then it was far, far too late.
            <snip>
            "We think you're a scumbag thief, so we're taking a little extra money in case you take our stuff and refuse to pay."
            <snip>
            If someone ever lies to me on the phone about a pre-auth, you bet I'll be talking to the attorney general, as well as suing.
            Speaking for at least some of the hotel people,
            1) They didn't steal your money. As proven by the pre-auth coming off in a few days.
            2) That's not what they're saying, they're saying that because people in the past have acted like scum, they have a policy in place which for most people will result in lower prices while the actual scum will be paying for being scum. If they didn't do this, then every time someone jumped out on paying something, they'd have to recoup it from the people who do.
            3) If they actually lie to you about it, you should sue, it's deceptive business practices.

I'd like you to keep in mind that we have more than a few members in the hotel/hospitality industry, and you're coming dangerously close to some of the stories they tell where people go "I'd never do something like that, I deserve special treatment!"
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Actually, it was probably the bank that held your money. Most times the money is released by the hotel within 24 hours of checkout.

the banks seem to take longer to release.

Not to be rude, but I have never understood people who travel with almost no money....because, for example, I have never heard of a hotel taking double the amount of authorization, so unless you were staying at an extra fancy hotel, it shouldn't have been that much.

And what if something had happened and you ended up stranded in that area?

Oh, and another thing I have never understood.....people who say "I will pay you at check out." RIGHHHHHHHHHT. Sadly, this happens A LOT.

Comment

Quoth Difdi View Post
                Let me tell you a story about a hotel pre-authorizing my debit card...

I was 22 at the time, and traveling with my family. We were going to a family reunion, you see, and I went on a little side trip to see something I'd been wanting to see for years. Due to scheduling issues, I ended up having to spend the night at a hotel by myself on my side trip. The plan was to rejoin the extended family the next day for the reunion.

I'm always very cautious when traveling. I don't walk down dark alleys, I don't walk under ladders, and I find out in advance, while making reservations with rental places, hotels, etc, exactly what it will cost me. I carry very little cash on me; Enough to tip people, enough to use a couple vending machines. I keep the bulk of my cash on a debit card, but even then I take the precaution of only loading it with a bit more money than I'll need.

For my side-trip, I was carrying a small cooler of food, to keep my expenses down. I'd already paid for my round trip ticket before leaving for the side-trip, and the only expenses I expected to incur on the way would be tipping the hotel bellboy, tipping the housekeeping staff, admission at my destination, and so forth. I had a little extra cash, but only enough for a couple vending machines, maybe an ice cream cone.

Unfortunately for me, the hotel didn't inform me they pre-authorize things like room service, hotel staff tips, the snack bar in the room, and so forth, just in case I'm a deadbeat. So I arrived at my destination (100 miles from my family), checked into the hotel, then went to my touristy destination. And when I tried to pay my admission, my card declined. The only money I had available was my tip and vending machine cash. Which was not enough for the admission. And my cellphone wasn't showing any bars. So I got to go back to the hotel instead of doing the thing that was my sole purpose for even staying at the hotel in the first place.

Back at the hotel, I called my bank, and had them check my account statement for me. Seems the hotel had taken more money than they quoted me for the room. Complaining to the hotel didn't do any good, since the pre-auth thing was in the fine print they never mentioned to me over the phone.

So I was out nearly $100 in hotel room and $60 in my round trip ticket. And because the hotel stole money from me, my entire trip was wasted. You bet I was pissed. The hotel removed the pre-auth in a couple business days, but by then it was far, far too late.

My example is fairly extreme, but it does illustrate just how supremely sucky a pre-auth can be. To say nothing of the pure insult involved in telling a random stranger "We think you're a scumbag thief, so we're taking a little extra money in case you take our stuff and refuse to pay." Nowadays, I make a point of asking if they pre-authorize. But at the time, it never occurred to me that I had to ask them "Are you sure the total you just quoted me is all you'll be charging me?"

Okay for some reason this reply doesn't add up to me. Let's for example, say your room cost $89+tax. Our hotel will authorize $110 at checkin, and the bank will hold such a charge for prolly 3 days on a credit card maybe. I am guessing you had more then $200 in your account since you were planning a trip and admission.... So from what I can gather, it wasn't the hotel that caused the issue it was the bank. If you didn't have enough cushion for the authorization amount, then I would say you didn't have enough money for the trip. This reply confuses me. Sorry. Authorizations with cushion have nothing to do with thinking someone a scumbage. I am so confused...
                When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

I can understand where Difdi is coming from. If the hotel didn't mention anything about a pre-authorization, then I can see why he thought the hotel had stolen the money. My question is, was there a sign stating it, that there was a pre-authorization? Was it stated on the contract? If not, then the hotel is at fault for not mentioning about it.
                  Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                  San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

I'm not against preauthorzation, but I am currently fighting with a local restruant, and my bank to get back some money, that they over charged on my card.

The place I ordered from is a very nice place, fine dining kinda thing, BUT I wasn't eating there, I had called in my order, was quoted a time of 15 - 20 minutes, drove across town to pick it up, then took it to a friends house to eat. Most interaction I had with a waitress was handing her my card to pay and picking up the bag of food.

now from working in credit card claims before, I know that if I have NO intention of leaving a tip, that if there is a place to write in a tip, to write NO tip and put in the toal amount again in the total bar under the tip line. I did both of these things.

I go to order dinner last night and check my online balance to see how much money I have...to find that they over charged my card alomst $9!!!

talking with a friend I learned that that place often over charges the card to make sure their payment and any tip goes through. but the funds have already cleared the account, and its more then I allowed!

Sorry for the thread jack ><
                    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Here's how its worked for me, with a debit card the money actually gets put on hold, so you cant use it at all.

with a real credit card its just a pre-auth and you still have access to your full credit limit.

At least thats more or less what a couple high end vegas hotels have told me when i tried to use the debit card for check-in

Comment

May I be the one to point out... hotels are GENEROUS with pre-authing debit cards... want to guess what happens when you try to rent from National Car Rental with a debit card... they will tell you either must provide a copy of your FULL itenerary to verify your return date or to get bent... yes, they have EVERY right to refuse service to debit card holders, so a hotel just holding an extra percentage for the potential use of incidentals is generous considering the alternative.
                        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth alogram View Post
                          Actually, it was probably the bank that held your money. Most times the money is released by the hotel within 24 hours of checkout.
                          Even 24 hours was longer than the side-trip the hotel stay was for. Since the plan was go to other city, check in, visit tourist destination, return to hotel, sleep, checkout, leave town...even if the bank released the pre-auth instantly after the hotel released the pre-auth 5 minutes after checkout, it still would have screwed me.

Quoth alogram View Post
                          Not to be rude, but I have never understood people who travel with almost no money....because, for example, I have never heard of a hotel taking double the amount of authorization, so unless you were staying at an extra fancy hotel, it shouldn't have been that much.
                          All it takes is one mugging to make you reconsider carrying lots of cash on vacation. All it takes is one stolen debit/credit card taking longer to clear up the issue than the entire vacation (let alone a 1-day side trip) will last to convince you to limit how much you could lose.

The pre-auth wasn't all that much. But it was just enough to leave less on the card than the admission fee. And with the security feature of declining rather than overdrafting set on the card (which also stops a thief from running up massive overdrafts). Combine that with the place I was going to being unable to combine a cash & debit transaction, well, guess what?

Quoth alogram View Post
                          And what if something had happened and you ended up stranded in that area?
                          Like what? Godzilla? I suppose I might need to pay my own bail, but I wasn't planning on breaking any laws and being arrested. To pay for the hotel? Handled in advance over the phone. To tip bellboys and housekeeping? I had cash for that. If I get thirsty? Camelbak. Hospital stay? Insurance card. Round trip ticket back to my family? Pre-paid, good for a couple months and electronic (no paper ticket to lose). I wasn't planning on visiting gift shops and buying souvenirs. I had enough food and water with me for longer than the trip would take. I had all expenses planned, plus $20 for small incidentals. All being mugged would do fund-wise is wipe out my ability to tip, buy a candy bar or visit the hotel gift shop. Any disaster that would exceed my ability to cope with what I had on hand would have exceeded my entire savings account.

Quoth thehippie777 View Post
                          Okay for some reason this reply doesn't add up to me. Let's for example, say your room cost $89+tax. Our hotel will authorize $110 at checkin, and the bank will hold such a charge for prolly 3 days on a credit card maybe. I am guessing you had more then $200 in your account since you were planning a trip and admission.... So from what I can gather, it wasn't the hotel that caused the issue it was the bank. If you didn't have enough cushion for the authorization amount, then I would say you didn't have enough money for the trip. This reply confuses me. Sorry. Authorizations with cushion have nothing to do with thinking someone a scumbag. I am so confused...
                          Nope. All my dealings with the hotel prior to checking in were over the phone. I paid with a debit card that will decline rather than overdraft. I transfer money into it as needed via online banking, to limit what someone could get away with if they stole the card (or memorized the number). I had called in advance to find out what the bill would be including all taxes and fees. I knew what admission would be, including all taxes. I knew what my ticket to travel there would cost, including all taxes and fees. I rounded each number up to a whole dollar and put that much in my debit card.

When I was making my hotel reservation over the phone, I asked them what a customary tip would be for bellhops, housekeeping, etc. I put that amount of cash in my wallet. I then added $20 in the form of two $5, eight $1, and 8 quarters as "just in case" money. The total of cash was less than the cost of admission where I was going.

At no time, did the hotel notify me that they added a cushion to the bill. No signs where I checked in, they never mentioned it on the phone. They didn't mention it in person. They swiped my card while I was reading the fine print on the papers I was signing (with my pen poised above it) while checking in. The pre-auth was not in the fine print. But even if it was, I had already spent almost $100 in getting to the hotel. Refusing to sign might have gotten me a refund of the hotel bill, but I'd still be out the ticket price to even get to the city.

I didn't find out about the pre-auth until my card was declined at my sole reason for giving that hotel (and the bus line) my business in the first place. And they couldn't process a "half with debit, half with cash" transaction there. I didn't have time to go back to the hotel, resolve the issue and come back (assuming it could be resolved). Any solution that would have gotten me into the place would have required a second day of hotel stay, which I couldn't afford.

I make a point of finding out EXACTLY what everything on the trip will cost, including all taxes and fees, before I step out my front door to go on the trip. Having had cards stolen and been mugged (separate incidents) in the past, I try to limit how much I'll lose if it happens again. If the hotel had not lied to me and then temporarily stolen money from my debit card, my trip would have gone flawlessly. I ended up paying around $160 to sit in my hotel room and stare at the wall because they didn't disclose their dishonesty until after it was too late to do anything about it.

Now, when I travel, I ask about pre-auths (among other things) and I don't do business with places that do them. And yes, I've occasionally stayed in a tent at a campground instead of a hotel over it.

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                          May I be the one to point out... hotels are GENEROUS with pre-authing debit cards... want to guess what happens when you try to rent from National Car Rental with a debit card... they will tell you either must provide a copy of your FULL itenerary to verify your return date or to get bent... yes, they have EVERY right to refuse service to debit card holders, so a hotel just holding an extra percentage for the potential use of incidentals is generous considering the alternative.
                          The hotel knew I'd be paying with a debit card when I arranged the reservation on the phone. They said they'd accept it. If they had said no, I'd have arranged other payment. They never mentioned a pre-auth cushion. Why should I be grateful that when they took more money than they said they would, they took less than the maximum they could have? Especially when their doing it pooched the entire reason I was staying at the hotel at all?

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                          1) They didn't steal your money. As proven by the pre-auth coming off in a few days.
                          If someone picks your pocket on the street, steals $20 from your wallet then puts the wallet back, and mails you the $20...has a crime been committed? For those 2-3 days the mail takes, that money cannot be spent, and is gone just as if it had actually been debited.

2) That's not what they're saying, they're saying that because people in the past have acted like scum, they have a policy in place which for most people will result in lower prices while the actual scum will be paying for being scum. If they didn't do this, then every time someone jumped out on paying something, they'd have to recoup it from the people who do.
                          3) If they actually lie to you about it, you should sue, it's deceptive business practices.
                          Having a policy is one thing. Not disclosing that policy to a customer until it's too late for the customer to object and/or take their business elsewhere is sucky. Treating honest people as thieves is suckier still, and may arguably be libel or slander.

If they want to raise their rates because they got stiffed, fine. Rates are disclosed up front. Adding a surprise, after-the-fact fee to the bill of everyone in the hotel who didn't rip them off, who stayed there when the deadbeat did? There's a word for that: Theft.

I'd like you to keep in mind that we have more than a few members in the hotel/hospitality industry, and you're coming dangerously close to some of the stories they tell where people go "I'd never do something like that, I deserve special treatment!"
                          Yes it sucks. But is it really special treatment to demand that you be treated innocent until proven guilty? I'd call it common decency to not be treated as the scum of the Earth until I actually prove to be said scum.

Do people steal? Sure. Do people dine & dash? Of course. Do people take a crap in the beds? Some do (brain bleach, please). Treating every person on Earth as if they were the worst of the worst does cover you in the event that you run into an SC. But how many of your customers really are SCs? 1%? 10%? If you treat 90% of your customers badly without cause, who is the sucky one?
                          Last edited by Difdi; 10-08-2008, 03:27 AM. Reason: to add responses to other posts

Comment

Okay not really meaning to sound rude or anything, but it is your job as a consumer to have extra cushion at all times when you travel (plastic would be advisable). You never know what kind of emergencies could come up.

Every single hotel I have ever stayed at have always authorized a little more then the overall room cost. Even hotels that accept cash payments often require the room be put on a credit card or debit card anyway. A hotel can not hold your hand along the way let alone be sure to mention things like that including all the other B.S. most of us are required to say to every guest.

Please, try working at a hotel first before you fly off your lid. It is often Coperate or the owners who require pre-authorizations. Please don't take it out on the little guy. Or please, be a responsbible consumer and keep emergency funds with you at all times. If you run out of money, that is your mistake not the hotels'. They are watching their own butts & that is all the pre-authorization is. Keep in mind that there are criminals out there that rent hotel rooms, and to prevent them from coming in such requirements are kept. Not only to keep the hotel safe, but guests as well.

Comment

A few years ago, my mom gave me a voucher for a local hotel. (It was one of those deals where you earn points when you stay and when you get enough, you get a voucher for a free night.) The idea was for me and my then-hubby to have a night out to ourselves. Well, all I had was a debit card and the hotel required some kind of card "on file" at check-in, do I used it. I knew we weren't going to have any incidentals, so I wasn't worried about it - until we went over to the mall to get my mom's Christmas gift. The hotel had pre-authorized not only a small amount for the incidentals, but the full price of the room as well, when they had the voucher in their hands. Total hold was almost $200 - which was pretty much every penny in my bank account.

I asked the front desk lady about it when we got back to the hotel, and she said,"Well EVERYONE knows you don't use a DEBIT card at a HOTEL!" Gee, thanks lady. Maybe you could've, I don't know, mentioned that?!?

The manager took pity on me (I wasn't yelling or anything, just weepy) and somehow released the authorization. Don't have a clue how he did it, but he did.
                              Let it go... Daisy, let it go... Open up your fist
                              This fallen world... Doesn't hold your interest...
                              Doesn't hold your soul... Daisy, let it go
                              -Switchfoot

Comment

Working...
                              X