This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Condescending uppity bitch at Payless

I took my daughter with me to Payless near our house to hunt for some cheap clogs. I've never owned clogs before, and I'll be damned if I'm going to fork over a big chunk of moolah then find out I hate them. While I was there, I noticed my purse hanging on my shoulder differently, and discovered that the strap was on it's last legs (yes, I pack it too full, way too full). Shockingly enough, I found comfy and adorable clogs in a nice dark gray color, as well as a downright perfect purse- right size, right color, right price. Both were even on sale. And I found both of them before my daughter showed any signs of having a "I'm getting bored" meltdown. At the rate I was going, my next stop would have been to buy some lottery tickets.

I should have known it was too good to last.

As we walk up to the cash register, I notice a SEVERLY bitchy and uptight looking middle aged woman with shoeboxes piled high instructing the cashier how to process a return. Of course this is no normal return. (Don't you just love it when God has a sense of humor?)

She bought five pairs of shoes in varying sizes, I assume for herself and her spawn.... She wanted to return them, but apparently one of the returns was actually an exchange and someone told her that a certain shoe was in stock and it wasn't and she wanted the cashier to call every Payless in the tri-state area looking for it so they could have it shipped here for her majesty.
    (Note to self- when demanding above and beyond service- make sure you're at Saks or Talbots, not freakin Payless). So, she finally resigned herself to the fact that this wasn't possible. Was it over?

Not likely. It is at this point, that the cashier sees beyond this woman's smoke and mirrors and sees that there are only four shoe boxes on the counter. "What?! Well what did you do with the fifth pair?" (Yeah, I'm sure with you breathing down her neck that she found a few extra seconds to hide them up her ass) The cashier looks at her like WTF? At this point, my oh-so-understanding toddler finally loses her cool and demands to go look out the window. I let loose with a little passive-aggression (Well, we can't honey, we're waiting in line and I know it's been QUITE A WHILE, but hopefully we can LEAVE SOON ). Needless to say, queen bitch is deaf to all but her own demands. And I'm on to her- she thinks that with me and my daughter in line behind her that it will fluster the cashier, ESPECIALLY if my daughter decides to throw a fit. No way lady, I'm not helping you. So, in my loudest unleash-inner-bitch voice I say "Come on honey, let's go look at the Dora backpacks for a while- then they can finish up here" I knew I was right b/c she actually shot me a dirty look- which I countered nicely.

So then she has the girl process it as a normal return and to call her if the oh-so-important pair of shoes miraculously shows up. So the cashier does, then the lady loses it. The cashier had the NERVE to give her a NEW RECEIPT showing the returns and planned to keep the original receipt for her records. The woman practically shit a brick. She insisted that she NEEDED THAT RECEIPT FOR HER RECORDS, and there was much panting and arm waving and nail tapping. She was so animated, my daughter put down the backpack and sat down to watch the crazy woman. She needed it so bad, to make sure that it came off her account and blah blah blah. So then she started bargaining- why don't they just take a copy of it (no can do). Well she can go get a copy at the store and bring it back (nope). More huffing and puffing.

Finally after another 10 minutes of her fits, she accepts that life is just not fair and takes her new receipt and vows never to step foot in there again.

I couldn't help it.

It was too much to resist.

It was like dangling a hunk of filet in front of a rottweiler. You can't hold back, IT'S RIGHT THERE!

So, before she reached the door to leave, and as I collected my daughter to finally go pay for our stuff, I said it.

PITA: I'm never EVER shopping here again.
    Me: Don't get my hopes up like that!

Bitch hit the door so hard on her way out I think she may have a broken elbow. Serves her right.

That was awesome I would have done the same thing in your situation.
    My Horror Blog

Cinemania

Comment

I'm sure it really pissed her off a lot more. Being a native and travelling through that state countless times, I've found most Ohioans to be some of the most angry and unfriendly people I've ever met, especially in Toledo where all the blue-collar jobs are being replaced with brand-new Wendy's and Bob Evans restaurants and big-box stores that only lift you halfway off of welfare.

Comment

MG, I bow down before you.

I bet that ending made the cashier's day, too.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
          I bet that ending made the cashier's day, too.
          She seemed very flustered. When we finally got our turn up there, I told her they should seriously consider hiring bouncers. I was trying to lighten the mood, I genuinely felt bad for her. She looked about 19, maybe. Clearly that woman ('cause I can tell you she was NO lady) has either never worked with the public before, or she has and has decided now it's her turn to be the windshield instead of the bug. I've always been pretty blunt, and things have a tendency to jump out of my mouth before I've had a chance to stop them (one of the reasons I've had so many jobs)......
          Last edited by Mighty Girl; 10-08-2006, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Quoth ditchdj View Post
            I'm sure it really pissed her off a lot more. Being a native and travelling through that state countless times, I've found most Ohioans to be some of the most angry and unfriendly people I've ever met, especially in Toledo where all the blue-collar jobs are being replaced with brand-new Wendy's and Bob Evans restaurants and big-box stores that only lift you halfway off of welfare.
            Yeah, and we have the worlds biggest assholes on the road. They either drive slow as molasses or like they've been shot out of a canon. And they never EVER yield. Turn signals? Forget it. Brake lights broken? Too bad, so sad, won't get them fixed. I've seen people packing suitcases and talking on the phone WHILE barreling down the highway doing 80 mph, usually changing lanes frantically.

I've lived here my whole life, and when I drive elsewhere, I'm always stunned speechless by the generous nature of the drivers.

I'm in Northeast Ohio, btw.

Comment

Ditchdj wrote:I've found most Ohioans to be some of the most angry and unfriendly people I've ever met
              mightygirl wrote:Yeah, and we have the worlds biggest assholes on the road. They either drive slow as molasses or like they've been shot out of a canon. And they never EVER yield. Turn signals? Forget it. Brake lights broken? Too bad, so sad, won't get them fixed. I've seen people packing suitcases and talking on the phone WHILE barreling down the highway doing 80 mph, usually changing lanes frantically.

I've lived here my whole life, and when I drive elsewhere, I'm always stunned speechless by the generous nature of the drivers.

And this is why we call Ohio two states for the price of one. I live in southern ohio (not too far from the river) and for the most part the folks around here are pretty cool. I've had strangers stop to help when I've had car trouble even. I get above oh say route 70 and things start changing. Oh well to each their own. We got our own good folks and bad folks too.

Not wanting to start another civil war or nuthin just gotta defend the south (ohio that is I say ) againt northern aggression.
              Last edited by Rahmota; 10-08-2006, 12:55 AM. Reason: forgot to place a quote

Comment

Quoth Mighty Girl View Post

Really? I spent quite a bit of time in various parts of Ohio, including the northeast, and did quite fine, so long as I avoided Youngstown. Admittedly, I rarely caught the central Cleveland to Toledo area, but still, compared to Illinois and Indiana, I've thought Ohio drivers quite respectful.

Comment

Yeah, and we have the worlds biggest assholes on the road.

Nah, I'd like to nominate Illinois, New Jersey and cab drivers in Manhatten as the worst ever.

But then, I heard drivers in Saudi Arabia are beyond insane.
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                    Nah, I'd like to nominate Illinois, New Jersey and cab drivers in Manhatten as the worst ever.

But then, I heard drivers in Saudi Arabia are beyond insane.
                    Sorry, but I think the drivers in CT are the WORST. They are crazy.
                    "There is no rehab for stupidity." --Chris Rock
                    "You learn something new and stupid every day you work in retail."--IhateCrappyTire

Comment

All you need to do to verify the sociopathic nature of our drivers is head towards Cleveland- and spend a good 10 minutes driving on 480 in any direction.

Truly frightening. When I was working up by the lake, they started doing some more construction (fyi- they're always doing construction- the weather here is really unpredictable- so things freeze and thaw much more often, which means roads need paved more often). Instead of reducing the number of lanes from 4 to 3, they maintained the same number of lanes but made them more narrow. I'm still convinced that some SOB in the transportation dept. decided to practice his own version of natural selection.

So many accidents.

There are at least three accidents, in the Cleveland area on 480 every day, and when the weather gets bad, that number usually at least triples. If you go slower than 75, you risk getting driven right over. And they'll flick you off while they're doing it.

Comment

If you go slower than 75, you risk getting driven right over. And they'll flick you off while they're doing it.
                        Add the frantic lane changing and aversion to use of turn signals, and you've just described drivers in several parts of California. In Los Angeles, those nutjobs think the laws of *physics* are non-binding advisories! Especially that bit about how two objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time. That's a personal challenge as far as they're concerned.

Sacramento traffic isn't *quite* that bad, but it's bad enough that I rarely drive here. I'm quite happy to let the nice professional drivers in the transit system get me where I need to go, in a bigger heavier vehicle that gives me better survival odds if/when something goes wrong.
                        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Not that I don't love a good road rant (or two or three or a whole thread dedicated to them teeheeheee)...but if I may but in and get this back on the Payless topic...

My mom took up a second job at Payless back when I was in middle school, and she stayed there (for some reason) until the time we moved. The stories my mom could post on this site.........and yes, it IS true......people DO walk into a Payless and expect to be treated as if they were at Saks or a more swanky of store. Not ripping on Payless, that's where I buy nearly all of my shoes, but it IS true. I'll repeat what I said on another thread.....people have had the gall to try and barter and complain about prices and policies at GOODWILL for pete's sake!

People are capable of anything. If there's something to whine about, they'll do it. If there's something to scam, people will try and scam. If there's something in it to benefit oneself (although it may be wrong and even illegal) people will do it.

Man's greatest talent is making a huge ass out of him/herself.
                          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

what a cow. but great job on ruining her act
                            she describes more or less exactly what my boyfriend and I have come to call "the Payless attitude." more nicely wrapped trash, basically...

by the way, I have to attest to the hideousness of Ohio drivers...because I am one of them I'm in southwestern Ohio though, where people drive slower than shit in their giant hipped trucks (WHO needs 6 wheels to get to church and bob evans???) and my tiny old accord and I can't see around them unless I pass them on the right, going 90, tying my shoes and talking on the phone.

this is probably the reason everyone always gets me to drive when we go north.

Comment

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned West Virginia drivers. Since SW PA is surrounded by WV on two sides, we get a fair amount of WV idiots...especially in the southern counties. These morons are usually the ones doing 55mph in the 65mph zones on I-79. They also *refuse* to get out of the passing (left) lane, even though they're only going 55mph, and can't understand why everyone passing them on the right gives them the Pittsburgh Salute. The same thing also applies to most two-lane roads as well.

However, the few times I've been into WV, they don't seem to have as many problems driving down there. Go figure.

I agree that people will bitch and moan about prices anywhere. No matter if it's Payless, J.C. Penney's or even Walmart. No matter what the price is, it's never low enough. The shoes could be *free* and they'd find something else to bitch about.
                              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                              X