This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beeyotch at supermarket

I'm on line at the supermarket. Customer in front of me unloads an overflowing cartful of food haphardly onto the belt. Poor cashiers eyes get bigger and bigger and customer keeps unloading on top of other product. The customers asks the cashier if he has paper bags. Cashier replies he is sorry - but they are out.

That's when the fury breaks out of the customer:
    SC: I have two orders here! TWO!! How am I going to keep them seperated if you don't have paper bags?!?
    Cashier: Um, I don't know ma'am.
    SC: Well this is just a damned inconvenience! What do you expect me to do now?? I want someone to get another cart for me!
    Cashier: Um, okay.

I was pissed off, but the customer was a big mean looking woman that could probably slam me into the far wall one handed. So I settled for saving my skin, and just glared at her instead. Not my proudest moment - but I really didn't want to die that day.

Another cashier runs over with a cart.
    Cashier: Here you go ma'am. You know, you could always tie the handles of the bags on one order and leave the 2nd order untied too if that helps.
    SC: No, that doesn't HELP. Help would be to have paper bags!

So the cart kid shrugs, rolls his eyes and walks back to refilling the ice bin.

After beeyotch paid. She stood there staring at the cashier as I unloaded my stuff onto the belt.
    Cashier: Um, yes?
    SC: You don't seriously expect me to push BOTH carts out to my car now do you??
    Cashier: I, uh...I'll see if I can get someone over.
    SC: *in a nasty sarcastic tone* Would you? Oh that would be so very nice.

After ice bin kid came back and helped her wheel the carts away, I did the only thing I could do - is to make the poor cashier laugh.
    Me: How much you wanna bet she's going to demand the kid loads it into her car for her?
    Casher: Wha..
    Me: And then, you know b/c she has TWO orders and it's all YOUR fault - someone should drive her car back to her house and put all the groceries away for her too! Maybe stay and cook some of it b/c you've all inconcenienced her so horribly!

I went on & on until he could barely scan b/c he was laughing so hard. I told him about the website...hope he joins.
    If you are thinking to yourself, "Hmmm, should I post this?" it should probably go HERE.

Wow...where I work (we call it P-unit...ring a bell?), all baggers must at least attempt to carry the customer's order out for them - providing they have more than 3 bags. We're also not allowed to accept tips when we carry out (though that rule is RARELY followed haha). It's hard for me to imagine having a store that doesn't carryout, but I guess each company has its own things...
    Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.

Proverbs 22:6

Comment

Thegiraffe, virtually no supermarkets in the UK will carry your bags out to the car for you. If you ask, they may find someone to do it, but it certainly isn't a regularly offered service.

A lot of places, even really big supermarkets, don't have baggers either. Again, you can ask for one, and someone will come and help (sometimes i ask for help with the bagging when DD is being a brat and I am knackered), but there is no way they would carry your bags to the car for you. Mind you, all shopping trolleys over here will go out into the car park, they are not corralled inside the store, so people simply put the bags back in the trolley, and wheel the trolley out to the car.
      A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
      - Dave Barry

Comment

^^^What she said. Sometimes when it's really busy, a supervisor will come and pack for you, but other times you're expected to do it yourself. And people who take the trolleys into the car park rarely put them back in the trolley drop.
        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Some trolleys don't wheel outside? ... Light dawns.

In NZ, all trolleys go outside, nobody ever offers to push one to your car or help you unless you really have a lot and/or look really feeble. Even then, I've never personally witnessed it, just kind of assuming there.

Comment

In the US it depends on the store. My favorite place does have people carry the stuff out for you by default. I sometimes wish they didn't, as it's always awkward and I'm perfectly capable of carrying the stuff myself.

Comment

Quite honestly unless you are disabled or old I think you should take your OWN stuff to your car. Don't buy so much if you don't have someone with you to help you.
              And load your own car! We are not your slaves.

Comment

Strangely enough, not many grocery stores around here offer carry-out, but all the liquor stores seem to. Go figure!
                The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

It depends on the store though. My 90-year-old grandmother, who just gave up driving, was pretty good about getting things into her car. However, if she bought even a small bag of potting soil, there was no way in hell she could get that into her car. Even if she could, she couldn't get it back out! (Because of her injuries from the '94 car accident, she can't lift very much.)

Usually, one of the employees at the local Gyunt Iggle would load it for her. Most people knew her, and knew her limitations. Since she couldn't get the bag back out, she'd just leave it in the car until I got there, or one of the neighbors came down.

The same with getting groceries. If she went to the store, she would get a few things...and leave everything else until she had help.

Most stores do not offer that service.
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                  X