X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To call in, or not to call in...

...that is the question.

so, I've been sick for about a week now. Went to the doctor on Monday and was told what I have is viral, so there's really no medication they can give me, since antibiotics don't work on viruses. I just have to let whatever this is, run its course. Yippee.

I've missed the last two days of work, and I'm contemplating calling in sick again today. Problem is, I can't find anyone to cover for me, and if I miss a shift without finding a replacement, I'm held accountable and could face a writeup. I also desperately need money, and can't really afford to miss another day of work, since I don't work again until Sunday. (Thank gods, because if I had to work Black Friday in THIS condition, it wouldn't have been pretty...)

On the other hand, I'm coughing, my head is stuffed up, my ears ache, my nose alternates between being stuffed and being a nonstop drip factory, and I just feel generally miserable. if I DO go in today, I'm sure I can request a task that doesn't require a lot of brain power or interaction with people, but I really really just want to crawl back into bed, take a couple shots of NyQuil, and go back to sleep.

Decisions, decisions. If I could magically win the lottery, or just somehow find a few thousand dollars, I'd be set and would call in, but I don't foresee that happening in the 4 hours before my shift starts, and the 2 hours before I have to leave the house to get catch a bus.

Ugh. off to drink more tea. Tea is happy...

Why don't you eat Dayquil or drink Thera Flu or something? They don't cure your virus, but they help alleviate the symptoms.
    I was not hired to respond to those voices.

Comment

Quoth poofy_puff View Post
      Why don't you eat Dayquil or drink Thera Flu or something? They don't cure your virus, but they help alleviate the symptoms.
      I have Theraflu and Mucinex. They alleviate everything somewhat, but I'm still coughing up crap, and my head is still congested to all extremes. I might take sudafed for that, but I have pretty much no voice left. If I do go into work, hope they don't expect me to answer phones...

Comment

I hope you are not too busy and have an easy day, and that it goes by quickly.
        I was not hired to respond to those voices.

Comment

Just a couple of suggestions to ease the congestion:

Eliminate ALL dairy products from your diet for a few days. Dairy increases congestion.
          And put garlic in everything (assuming you aren't allergic to it). Garlic does wonders for your immune system.
          Grapefruit juice is good for sore throats and kicking the ass of pesky virii, regardless of how it tastes. Orange juice isn't quite as effective in these circumstances, oddly enough.
          Use lots of mentholated salve on your nose - Vicks, Mentholatum, or whatever the equivalent is in your neighborhood. It really helps, and it also keeps your nose from getting all raw.

These are things that have worked for me, they might help.

Too bad you can't get more rest, but I understand all too well about employers not giving two craps about you, only that they have a body to do a job.
          What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Sounds like something I had in eighth grade. At one point, I couldn't even breathe and ended up with a broken blood vessel in my eye.

Hope you get better soon,Lupo!
            "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

I belly dance with tall Goblins!

Comment

Call off. If you're sick then you're sick. Why spread what you have around & make everybody else just as sick as you are?
              Don't you have sick days you can use to make up the difference?

Comment

I never hesitate to call in sick.
                No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

Quoth PrincessKatieAirHostess View Post
                  I never hesitate to call in sick.
                  but katie, if we go to work congested we wont pop an eardrum or have a sinus inflate. i dont envy anyone who flys sick, or is sick in general.

and yes i burst an eardrum on a flight once. never again will i fly with a stuffy head, afrin, sudafed, and dayquil all failed me that day
                  This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
                  my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
                    Call off. If you're sick then you're sick. Why spread what you have around & make everybody else just as sick as you are?
                    Don't you have sick days you can use to make up the difference?
                    Its a damned if you do, damned if you don't thing.

If you call in sick you get in trouble, up to and including being fired, depending on the boss. Sick days? What are those?

If you go to work despite being incredibly sick, you get in trouble for getting everyone else sick. The cold/flu is very contagious. Takes about a week, but everyone else in the building, as well as customers in the building at the time, will be feeling like crap.

And yes, I have gone in to work while sick, though I try to limit it to only non contagious things. One time I was working a 10 hour shift with a fever of 104. Fun times.

Comment

Quoth SteeleDragon78 View Post
                      but katie, if we go to work congested we wont pop an eardrum or have a sinus inflate. i dont envy anyone who flys sick, or is sick in general.

and yes i burst an eardrum on a flight once. never again will i fly with a stuffy head, afrin, sudafed, and dayquil all failed me that day
                      Yeah but even when working in an office I would call in sick if sick.

The way I see it, if you don't abuse your sick time and you are honest you will be fine. Your job is never worth your health.

There are a lot of things you can't fly with which is pretty awesome. Colds, not within 48 hours of stomach bugs, visible wounds etc

You can get away with phoning in with an acne outbreak or coldsore as you are 'cosmetically challenged.'
                      No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

Working...
                      X