This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not again! Hospitals suck

So I had a small op in November and they noticed a small cyst and sent me for ultrasound. That was fine and they sent me the appointment date for January, great Christmas no worries! At least until I get the letter this morning asking me to go for a blood test and a MRI before my appointment in January. My cyst is 6cm (2.5 inches) and I really loath blood tests in fact I'm phobic!

At least my mum is coming with me! Oh and I've been in hospital so many times since I was born I've lost count. I've had one kidney out and have so many scars from various things that my sisters boyfriend said that I had more scars than anyone he knows
    As soon as I start thinking
    That I'm sensible and sane
    The Random Hedgehog comes along
    And fiddles with my Brain
    (from card I got)

Eek. *hugs* Hope you're doing okay and continue to be okay.

I know I always feel better when my mom's along with me. So that's one good thing
    1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
    -----
    http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

You know she isn't bothered by the MRI even though she hasn't had one before, in fact it's "Yay! something new and interesting" but the blood test

Btw, I'm LL's sister
      Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

Aw, you poor thing! I hope everything turns out OK.

When they draw the blood, don't look. I always lie back on the table (my blood pressure tends toward the low end of normal, so even a few vials has the potential to make me pass out) and I look the other way. If I know I'll be having blood drawn I try to bring my mommy, too. I also have deceptive veins - very light skin makes them very visible, but for some reason it almost always takes them a couple tries to actually get the needle in. I like to have a hand to squeeze (and a designated driver, if necessary).
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Yeah, mine hide whenever I go to Hospital! I have hard to find veins which can be a problem. I close my eyes and try to think pretty thoughts until the nasty nurse goes away usually crushing whosoever hand I holding.
          (from card I got)

Comment

Quoth Lady Legira View Post
            Yeah, mine hide whenever I go to Hospital! I have hard to find veins which can be a problem. I close my eyes and try to think pretty thoughts until the nasty nurse goes away usually crushing whosoever hand I holding.
            Do you have an iPod or something you can bring to distract you?
            I'll send you a lollipop if it'll make you feel better
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I drink water. Lots and lots of water. That seems to help people to find my veins. Just a thought.

Good luck with everything!

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                Do you have an iPod or something you can bring to distract you?
                I'll send you a lollipop if it'll make you feel better
                Oooo Lollipop!
                (from card I got)

Comment

The blood test went fine except for the fact that I crushed my sisters hand.

So the MRI..

It was rather odd really like being in a coffin that has a washing machine with a loud clock in the room and someone moving furniture upstairs at odd times.

Found out I was very slightly claustrophobic but nothing that bothered me too much when I got pulled into the belly of the machine. I closed my eyes and thought happy thoughts. First part they took pictures while I held still holding my breath which was a bit uncomfortable but not too much bother. They then tried the second part without doing a injection because they were aware that I'm quite phobic unfortunately they couldn't but my lovely radiographers helped by one keeping me distracted by talking to me about this and that while the other gave me the muscle relaxant to stop my lower intestine moving about so much so they could scan the cyst properly without it jigging about. Had problems with my veins of course and ended up going in the other arm from the one I had my blood test in. They injected me and after a about 30 seconds it got painful so the pull the needle out but were happy I'd got enough. Then they did the second part which I assume is where they do the slices but I guess I'll find out later. That was easy because I just had to lay there! In fact I nearly fell asleep. I was possibly one of their more relaxed patients except when they were trying to inject me! I was there about a hour maybe a little over.

New and interesting if slightly odd experience. I'd do it again if I need to.

And if you read all that you deserve a cookie.
                  (from card I got)

Comment

Update!

My cyst is a Dermoid Cyst and the size of a cricket ball! Which means another op in the next 16 weeks.
                    and a 4 inch or so scar.

I'll be in the hospital for a few days (oh joy!) and be resting at home for a while. Work have been great and said to tell them when and they'll make sure the shifts I'll should working will be covered and everything even at very short notice.
                    (from card I got)

Comment

Sorry to hear about the operation. It's never very nice to have one, but on the plus side, at least things should be getting better after it.

The other real plus you've got an understanding work. You've also got all of us behind you. Good luck, and if there's anything we can do, please let us know!
                      "I'll probably come round and steal the food out of your fridge later too, then run a key down the side of your car as I walk away from your house, which I've idly set ablaze" - Mil Millington

Comment

So the wait was a little longer than I hoped mostly because the Hospital got an attack of norovirus which closed 5 wards at one point.

Oh **** I'm having major sugery on the 23rd of June!
                        (from card I got)

Comment

Best of luck and a quick recovery to you! It's awesome your workplace is being so understanding.

Comment

Best of luck to you! Ive seen some nasty dermoids in my day. Hope it all goes well.

And FYI, I dont even look for Blooddraws..and Im a nurse. LOL

Comment

Got a phone call from our mum to let me know that everything went well, but Legira was quite sick so took a while to come down to the ward from recovery. Legira was quite zoned while mummy was there but then that was to be expected.

I'm going to visit her tomorrow evening because today I'm also recovering from an op (day unit job for pretty much the same thing).

Oh and we spend the day surprising people by going "My identical twin is in for an op on the same day." fortunately different wards
                              Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

Working...
                              X