This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My newest peeves about customers

I made a few top 10 lists a while back but I got some real big issues here.

1. I. Am. Not. Psychic. I am not a magical wizard. I cannot see into the future. I do not have x-ray vision. I cannot read your mind. If you want something, tell me. Alright? Don't look at me and expect I know what you're talking about. Don't start getting pissy. Just tell me what you want and you'll get it.

Seriously. "Any cash back?" "Yes." .................................................. .I finally have to ask how much? Magical mind reading abilities are a nice prerequisite for my job. The other one that pisses me off is bags. If you want f***ing paper bags, that's fine. Just f***ing tell me that, preferably before I start the order. This one lady I start bagging her stuff and she's just like no no no no no! And I'm like what. I want paper. Do you really? Damn I really wish I could read minds. And I'm positive she didn't say it before unless she yelled it from down the lane like 3 customers ago. I hate it when people start talking to you before it's their turn.
    And if you have your own bags is it that difficult to just put them at the front of the order or just hand them to the bagger? People are better with this.

2. Is it that difficult to hand me something you don't want? I love going around to collect reshop. Maybe I get 15 things from all the registers, then I gotta go around and check on top of the soda coolers, magazine racks, etc to find yogurt that has been there since the morning. Why do people do this? Really? I just don't understand it. At all.

3. Don't say never mind. If there's a problem, tell me. If something didn't ring up right, do tell me before hand. I can't do shit. Pressing EFT_tend and then enter is the POINT OF NO RETURN. Nothing can be done after that. Once the check is through, nothing can be done. Once the cash is entered, the drawer is set and you can't just take money out or it will count against you. Even if you're not positive, it's better to ask and make sure everything is fine before it goes through.

4. The customer service is not the royal checkout lane. I don't give a damn who you are, you don't go check out there. I think I've seen this twice, in which a customer with like 1 or 2 things leaves the checkout line and goes up to customer service, and pays, and leaves with their stuff. Are they really allowed to do this? If I worked in customer service I would say tough shit. Go wait your ass in line where you belong. Learn to use the express lane or even GASP THE SELF CHECK OUT WAIT THAT REQUIRES WORK ok that ones out but there's still the express lane. The customer service people as nice as they are and I really have the deepest respect as they have the worst job of anyone should not allow anyone to simply cut the line and check out at customer service.

Quoth joetheman View Post

4. The customer service is not the royal checkout lane. I don't give a damn who you are, you don't go check out there. I think I've seen this twice, in which a customer with like 1 or 2 things leaves the checkout line and goes up to customer service, and pays, and leaves with their stuff. Are they really allowed to do this? If I worked in customer service I would say tough shit. Go wait your ass in line where you belong. Learn to use the express lane or even GASP THE SELF CHECK OUT WAIT THAT REQUIRES WORK ok that ones out but there's still the express lane. The customer service people as nice as they are and I really have the deepest respect as they have the worst job of anyone should not allow anyone to simply cut the line and check out at customer service.
    At my store, the service desk people will invite shoppers to check out there if they notice the lines backing up and they only have a few small items.

Of course this then gets abused when somebody toddles on up with a cart full of 24-packs of soda, big bagged dog food, etc that has to be lifted out of the cart over the counter and scanned.

They'll even invite me to check out up there if I'm buying something for my break and the lines are getting long. Just a fringe benefit I guess.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

2. Is it that difficult to hand me something you don't want? I love going around to collect reshop. Maybe I get 15 things from all the registers, then I gotta go around and check on top of the soda coolers, magazine racks, etc to find yogurt that has been there since the morning. Why do people do this? Really? I just don't understand it. At all.
      It is even more fun when you catch them about to put some random item with the magazines. "Excuse me ma'am/sir did you want that <item>? / No. I didn't know what to do with it." really is this that difficult?

It's even more fun to find say, produce in the freezers or ice cream in the hot rotisserie chicken display we used to have.

Comment

I had no idea that this was someone's pet peeve. I have done this on occasion when I see the lines getting backed up, and the items I have can easily fit in a single bag. Of course I don't abuse it. If I have a large amount of groceries, then I will partiently wait in a regular line.
        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

^^^to mattm04 hahaha you won't believe the stuff I've found when I've been on reshop duty (putting back stuff people didn't want)

My top 3 of all time are:

A pineapple beneath a bunch of boxes of eggs. Seriously, it's almost like they made a fort around it.

A big 18 roll pack of paper towel resting on the part of the fridge section with yogurts and stuff that sticks out so it basically blocks access to all the yogurts. Needless to say this one got moved pretty fast, I saw a customer move it and proceed to throw it on the floor and I just picked it up and smiled to make them feel guilty XD.

Frozen yogurt. Literally. About 10 of those little Stonyfield cups. No joke.

And really Mr. Hero? You just leave the line, go up to customer service and say can I check out here? Customer service is not a checkout lane. I really think they should stop giving in to customers that do this. They (and you) can wait your ass in line like everyone else. Unless they actually decide to open it up as a register, which they have never done and likely never will do, because if it's busy enough to need that as a register, they would have enough people in line at customer service.
          Last edited by joetheman; 12-14-2008, 05:11 AM.

Comment

Back in school i always went to my favorite shop in first break and put a tin of coke into the deep freezer. second break i bought it. The two hours didn't freeze it but cooled it real nice. And it was always fun when the sachier grabbed the tin and it was unexpectedly cold.

well, i stopped doing that when i once quit school early and the tin exploded. Since they knew it was me, manager gave me a stern talking too the next day. And after that i just had to go to the managers office and he gave me a coke he kept in the employees fridge. real nice guy.

and just a few weeks before i quit school they goit one of these freezers that is full of soda

Comment

And really Mr. Hero? You just leave the line, go up to customer service and say can I check out here? Customer service is not a checkout lane. I really think they should stop giving in to customers that do this. They (and you) can wait your ass in line like everyone else. Unless they actually decide to open it up as a register, which they have never done and likely never will do, because if it's busy enough to need that as a register, they would have enough people in line at customer service.
              Actually, some places DO do that. Like the place I work at. If you have a few items that don't have to be weighed, you are more then welcome to come check out at the service desk. It helps things run a little bit faster, and keeps a lot of non-sc's happy. So no, Mr. Hero, not every place thinks that it's bad.
              Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

4. The customer service is not the royal checkout lane. I don't give a damn who you are, you don't go check out there.
                I let people check out at customer service in one of three situations.

A) They're getting something at customer service as well, and they only have a couple items.

2) It's dead at customer service, the lines are really long elsewhere, and they only have a few things.

III) They're co-workers going on break.

Seriously, it's not that big a deal. No one's gonna try to check out at customer service if there's a line there, and it means everyone gets out a little faster. Plus it gives me something to do. It's not like I can bring a book or anything for the dead times, that would be unprofessional.

My current pet peeve is people who say "The cashier rang it up wrong..." or "She didn't put the sale price through." Look, the cashier has three responsibilities: scanning your crap, putting it in a bag, and taking your money. The cashier is not responsible for making sure everything rings up the price you think it should. Nor can the cashier magically make the sale price not come up. If you don't think your shit came up the right price, that's fine, but don't blame the cashier for what is nine times out of ten your error, and is never, ever hers.
                The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

On Thursday I left the Deli to go on break only to find a half-gallon of ice cream melted all over the front of the display case. There's a little ledge in front of the glass. Someone had set the ice cream there long enough ago that there was a large puddle of sticky brown goo all around it and the floor under it. We were really busy, so none of us had stepped out of the deli in hours and none of the jack*** mother****ing SCs had the common decency to say "Hey, there's a large puddle of brown goo on the floor here." In fact some JERK even stepped in it and tracked it a good 10 feet down the aisle. I ****ing hate people sometimes.

And about the customer service, at my store, you can't check out there. But at the BX on base, you can. In fact, the cashier will notice a long line and call CS. They'll give her the ok, so she'll get on the intercom and announce "There's currently no waiting at CS." And anybody is welcome to toddle on down there to check out. So Joetheman, I understand that it annoys you (we all have irrational pet peeves now and then) but obviously A) Your store allows it and B) Many stores not only allow it, but encourage it. So it's unnecessary to tell us we're horrible people for taking advantage of something that is offered to us.

Comment

Yes, but not so much now that I've moved back to Colorado. When I was going to school in Eastern Idaho, the store I usually shopped at had no self checkouts. If I had only a small purchase (a bag of chips and soda) and there were long lines of full carts, then yes I would use the service desk.

Now that I'm back in Colorado, the store I use has self checkouts and those go pretty quickly so I never have to wait in line. Usually. I'm able to process my order very quickly, so I see no need to go to the service desk.
                    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

What I can't stand is when someone tires to check out at customer service when EVERY register is empty, and we're just standing there BEGGING for something to do. The registers are right next to customer service, you can see the lights on, and NO ONE in line. But people have to stop at customer service.

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
                        It's even more fun to find say, produce in the freezers or ice cream in the hot rotisserie chicken display we used to have.
                        I was out shopping once and found a package of chicken thighs stuffed in a magazine rack...I picked it up with a plastic bag and took it to the service desk. All the while getting the stinkeye from another lady....I wonder if she was the one who stashed it there.
                        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

What kills me when I grocery shop is other customers that sigh, roll their eyes and act like I am purposely inconveniencing them by checking out in the correct line. I have teenagers, which means shitloads of groceries, overflowing carts and more items that you can shake a stick at so I always get in the regular checkout lanes because I don't want to do the selfish EWSC thing and go to the virtually empty express lane and block all the folks with just a few things.

The last few times I've gone to get groceries I've had people with one or two items pile up behind me when there's an express line just a few feet away with only a few people in it. These one or two item people act from body language, facial expression and muttered words like I'm the one in the wrong line because I'm personally inconveniencing them by having so many groceries in the correct line. And they always come up after check out has started so there's no way to allow them to go first.
                          "No, I will not poop a shopping cart out for you." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

Quoth calulu View Post
                            What kills me when I grocery shop is other customers that sigh, roll their eyes and act like I am purposely inconveniencing them by checking out in the correct line. I have teenagers, which means shitloads of groceries, overflowing carts and more items that you can shake a stick at so I always get in the regular checkout lanes because I don't want to do the selfish EWSC thing and go to the virtually empty express lane and block all the folks with just a few things.

The last few times I've gone to get groceries I've had people with one or two items pile up behind me when there's an express line just a few feet away with only a few people in it. These one or two item people act from body language, facial expression and muttered words like I'm the one in the wrong line because I'm personally inconveniencing them by having so many groceries in the correct line. And they always come up after check out has started so there's no way to allow them to go first.
                            Hm...maybe there's something wrong with me. When I see someone with two overflowing carts beginning to unload their items onto the belt, I desperately search for another lane. If no others are available, then I stand there resignedly and wait my damn turn.

Then again, I can become an SC when I see someone with overflowing carts at the SCO which are labeled clearly "25 items or less". I won't hesitate to tell someone to GTFO of that lane and go where they belong.

Comment

Quoth Belari View Post
                              Then again, I can become an SC when I see someone with overflowing carts at the SCO which are labeled clearly "25 items or less". I won't hesitate to tell someone to GTFO of that lane and go where they belong.
                              I do the same thing, Ha, on those trips when I'm flying through just getting milk and bread and I'm in express and someone has a huge load of stuff.

At places like Aldis where there is only one line and you have to wait your turn regardless I try to let those folks behind me with five or less items go in front. Life is too short to run around being hateful to people.
                              "No, I will not poop a shopping cart out for you." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

Working...
                              X