Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whine, bitch, whine... how dare you not open on Boxing Day!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whine, bitch, whine... how dare you not open on Boxing Day!

*supermarket* has a rule regarding petrol stations and supermarkets opening on Boxing Day; if the store doesn't bring in a certain amount of money, then it won't open. The supermarket opened one year on Boxing Day and didn't bring in enough money to break even, let alone fit the criteria so after that year, never again. The petrol station opened on Boxing Day last year and didn't fit criteria, so this year it's going to be closed on that day.

You would not believe how much bitching and whining we've gotten off SCs when we tell them that. -.- It's like they don't plan to go to the petrol station on that day (seeing as they didn't bother last year, otherwise it would have fitted criteria) but want us there on the offchance. FFS, you're not going to die of starvation just cuz the place is going to be closed for two days.
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

... hell that's when you go to one of those self-serve card stations where you don't need to bug the cashier to get your gas.

Comment

No such thing in England as far as I know; at least, not round my neck of the woods.
      My DeviantArt.

Comment

I seem to remember when i was a kid that EVERYTHING was closed on Christmas/Boxing Day. And we seemed to manage just fine.

Why is it that people seem to go into major panic mode at the thought of a store being closed for a day or 2???? Here's a hint folks = Stock up on what you need on Christmas Eve
        "When did you get a gold plated toilet?"
        "We don't have a gold plated toilet"
        "Oh dear, I think I just peed in your Tuba"

-Jasper Fforde

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
          No such thing in England as far as I know; at least, not round my neck of the woods.
          My local <supermarket of a different brand to Lace> has one with pre pay pumps now.
          A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
            My local <supermarket of a different brand to Lace> has one with pre pay pumps now.

If they leave the pre-pay pumps turned on. We have some service stations near me that have pre-pay pumps, but they are turned off after hours.

Meaning, every other Wednesday morning when my check hits the bank at 2:01 a.m. (unless we're lucky enough to have 1/4 tank) we have to get gas for the car on my way to work (along w/the stop at MCD's for breakfast.)

I pass by a Wilco, 2 Shells, a Texaco, a BP and two Kangaroos. None of them have anyone inside before 6 a.m. (and I'm inside and clocked in before 6 at the Litter Box.)

So how far do I go to get gas? Either WM or travel all the way over to the corner diagonally across from the Litter Box to Great Stops.
            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth raw456 View Post
              Here's a hint folks = Stock up on what you need well before Christmas Eve.
              Let's expand the time window there.
              "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
                That's gotta make life easier. Tho I bet it still has SCs. -.- No escaping them.

Quoth raw456 View Post
                I seem to remember when i was a kid that EVERYTHING was closed on Christmas/Boxing Day. And we seemed to manage just fine.

Why is it that people seem to go into major panic mode at the thought of a store being closed for a day or 2???? Here's a hint folks = Stock up on what you need on Christmas Eve
                Exactly. -.- I don't remember anyone starving to death cuz they couldn't get to the supermarket at Christmas. People are really dumb now, it seems.
                My DeviantArt.

Comment

The pumps require electricity and most gas stations want someone on site to keep an eye on the pumps, so it's unlikely that any station would just leave the pumps on when they are closed.
                  Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                  HR believes the first person in the door
                  Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                  Document everything
                  CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth Mike Taylor View Post
                    Let's expand the time window there.
                    Easily said. Had a woman looking for a tablecloth this morning.

We don't carry tablecloths. Maybe some grocery stores do, but I haven't seen any. Apparently the dollar store next door didn't have any either, so I suggested WM closest to us.

I know, three days and counting 'til christmas and she needs a tablecloth. Well, it's easy to say she should've gotten one before but sometimes if the money isn't available until the last minute, then what does one do?
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Blue striped supermarket of doom recently tried pre pay pumps in our area. Well, nobody had a clue how to use them, and after having to put the same instructions out over the tannoy for every customer, they were dropped very speedily. Folks are morons.

Also, why is it that the same people who stockpile enough food to feed a small army whenever there's an unforseen incident can't ever remember to plan ahead for Christmas, despite it occuring at regular intervals?
                      Last edited by MannersMakethMan; 12-22-2008, 08:28 PM.
                      "I'll probably come round and steal the food out of your fridge later too, then run a key down the side of your car as I walk away from your house, which I've idly set ablaze" - Mil Millington

Comment

Card Gas Stations

The pumps they are referring to are ussually call Card-Lots.

Problems with those is that they are ussually supported by Fleet card services, and not everyone is part of the fleet. Card-Lots are ussually used for big rigs or commercial fleets and your town may not be big enough to support it.

But yeah they are referring to card-lot not pre-pay. Pre-pay require an attendant to watch the pumps as the pumps are not locked

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                          The pumps require electricity and most gas stations want someone on site to keep an eye on the pumps, so it's unlikely that any station would just leave the pumps on when they are closed.
                          There is a gas station near my local WM that is kinda cool, it is an unmanned one. As in there is NEVER an employee there. First time I went there I was kinda lost.
                          If it makes sense, it's not allowed™. -- BeckySunshine

I've heard of breaking wind but not breaking and entering wind. --- Sheldonrs

My gaming blog:Ghosts from the Black

Comment

The pumps they are referring to are ussually call Card-Lots
                            They're called card-locks here. And regular pre-pay pumps where I live have to have the attendant authorize the pump in order for it to work. (well all gas stations here are pre-pay by law, but you get the point).
                            “Bad taste creates many more millionaires than good taste.”

-Charles Bukowski

Comment

I remember being grateful that I found an open gas station on Dec 25, 1978. Stupid husband #2 was wrestling with a friend and broke his elbow, and I had to drive him to the ER. Had I not stopped for gas on the way home from work (fast food) I'd not have made it to the hospital.
                              Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Working...
                              X