Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Singles Awareness Day (Feb. 14th) 2009 Thread!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Singles Awareness Day (Feb. 14th) 2009 Thread!!!

We are now only a few weeks away from one of my least favorite days of the year... the holiday traditionally known as Valentine's Day. But for those like myself, who have searched high and low and are still unable to find someone to share this life with, the holiday has now been rechristened...

it shall hence forth be known as Singles Awareness Day!

This thread, then, is for those that are WITHOUT a significant other to come together, and commiserate, to share our stories about what it's like to face each and every February 14th alone, while all around us, the "normal" people run around in a 1-day state of bliss, publicly displaying their affections, with each "happy" couple we see pushing us closer and closer to snapping!

Or, you know, maybe that's just me. Maybe you just hide inside at work or home all day, sulking, brooding, and generally being miserable. Or, maybe you go out with other single friends and CELEBRATE your freedom, celebrate not being "tied down" to one person!

Whatever the case may be, this is your thread, to share your stories of the single life at this time of year!

As for those of you that have someone special to celebrate Valentine's Day with... to quote the Almighty Gord, "door's to your left." Feel free to start your own thread about your holiday, and kindly leave us to ours, thankyouverymuch.

As for myself, this February 14th happens to fall on President's Day Weekend, which luckily for me, is the same weekend that the Baltimore area's annual Farpoint Convention is on! So, that's where I'll be on Singles Awareness Day this year!

*Leans back in chair, props up feet, and waits for others to start posting.*

P.S. It sucks that we can't use the BB Codes in the title of a thread. If we could, the title would've looked like this:

The Valentine's Day Singles Awareness Day 2009 Thread!

But, you know, so much for that idea!
    Last edited by Jack T. Chance; 01-24-2009, 08:49 PM.
    "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
    --StanFlouride

Single's Awareness day is the day before the Daytona 500, so at least there will be some racing on TV. Good excuse to have some beers, some steak, and sit around in the shorts watching TV almost all day.

Or I could go throw snowballs at every "Too Sweet" couple I see on the canal.

B
    Last edited by Bandit; 01-24-2009, 01:12 AM. Reason: spel ceck edit
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
    I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

R. Lee Ermey sez...

"Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Bandit View Post
        Single's Awareness day is the day before the Daytona 500, so at least there will be some racing on TV. Good excuse to have some beers, some steak, and sit around in the shorts watching TV almost all day.
        Cool!
        Or I could go through throw snowballs at every "Too Sweet" couple I see on the canal. :P

B
        Now THAT sounds like fun!

Too bad we still haven't had any snow here in MD this winter... well, none that amounted to anything, anyway.
        "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
        --StanFlouride

Comment

My friend's daughter will be one year old this Valentine's day.

Otherwise...blah.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
            My friend's daughter will be one year old this Valentine's day.

Otherwise...blah.
            You should drive down to B'more for Farpoint! You'd get to see me in my alternate identity as one of the defenders of the Old Republic!
            --StanFlouride

Comment

It always irks me, this particulary holiday, and the hype put into it. It's like, "Prove to your SO you love them on THIS DAY!!!"

What about the other 364 days of the year, dude? Srsly? >.<

On top of that, the looks of pity I get for being single?

Pfft. For the most part, it's choice for me. I have too much on my plate with school and work, and quite frankly the selection pool around here could use a lot of chlorine... >.> So, I'm working on myself, becoming a great me before I contemplate becoming part of a we. who knows, that may change if I meet someone, but until then, 'tis where I stand.

So, I proudly celebrate my single status on that day, and would far rather spend time with some good friends and with good food rather than get all snuggly with one person becuase i think the gesture means more when it's just because as opposed to because it's a national holiday.

Rambling done. Should probably go find some real food, since I've not really eaten today.

Comment

Who's got two thumbs and is more single than a neutered goat in a pack of donkeys?

THIS GUY.

Do I care? Nah.
                Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Hear hear lupo. I never really got the point of V-day either. Something's wrong with one designated day to express love...although the candy's nice (around this time I always get some unusual flavor of chocolate--chile, curry, wasabi, et al--from my dad).

For the past couple years, the ex has been threatening to "build [me] an AC-powered vibrator"

Given the result of his last electrical experiment--Frankenflashlight powered by an electric-blanket transformer--I'm not sure I want to ponder that too much. There are some things one does not want near wobbly bits unless the designer/builder knows what they're doing. He does not.
                  "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                  "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I hate valentines day. I hate it when I'm single and not. And I'm proud to say I've been single for 3 years this March! What I like the freedom. Plus I'm not really looking, mainly because I don't care right now. Maybe that'll change one day..... anywho how does giving your SO a gift when she expects it and society says you have to a sign of love?

With my last GF I said don't expect gifts on any holiday. If I really care about you I'll get a gift when you least expect it just because! Though it does get pretty lonely around here because 1/2 my friends are already married and most of the other half have SOs so I'm usually the 3rd/5th wheel........kinda akward. And all my single friends are losers (except my fellow CSers of course ). Oh well I don't care I like being single! It's much more affordable

Ok I'm done ranting now.

Comment

V-Day (or it's alternate STD name) is an eh day for me.

Fave Ex® and I started dating a week later, and never celebrated it with each other, although we wish each other a happy one as we both still love each other.

Starting dating Cheating Manwhore Of An Ex® probably just before, and broke up with him just a few days after, after being together for a year. Both years he did get me something. When we were dating, he got me a teddy bear (the day after the cheapskate ), and when we broke up, he got me some candy. At least he tried, I guess.

Actually, Fave Ex® and I were going to spend the day together the year after we broke up, but I got called into work instead.

I don't get angry, or bitter, or sad. V-Day is just another craptacular day.
                      I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Having been through V-day as both single and in a relationship, I much prefer single. The soon to be ex husband wouuld get the stupidest things that were totally useless. Toys that I didn't need or want and candy that he ate. I'd rather be single and get nothing than that carp.

Comment

Having been single all my life I can honestly say Valentines day would have no meaning for me except this year will be the 3 year anniversary of having my arm crushed in an industrial roller.
                          If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

Quoth Nyoibo View Post
                            Having been single all my life I can honestly say Valentines day would have no meaning for me except this year will be the 3 year anniversary of having my arm crushed in an industrial roller.
                            Um... Congratulations???

Comment

Woot! Glad I found this thread...count me among the celebrators of single awareness day!
                              Your true character is who you are when no one is looking.
                              --Unknown

Comment

Working...
                              X