No, because I want to adopt him, and I'm sending GK a PM right now. 0 0%
Maybe. He's kind of shaped like a football. How squishy could he be? 4 7.27%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Help Ree Make a Decision!
Old 01-25-2009, 03:54 AM
The original GK

Default Help Ree Make a Decision!

As some of you are aware, Ree and our intrepid Raps are coming to stay with me in February. Ree, as most of you know had a pretty crappy 2008.

As some of you may remember, I foster stray and injured cats. Ree came to stay with me in November of 2008 and fell in love with a special little guy. We call him Mr. Stumps, or Stumpers for short.

Stumpers had a pretty crappy 2008 too. He had been a stray for some weeks when one day my step-sister notice that his "tail was missing". He didn't stick around for long, so a it was a couple of days before I saw him. His tail was indeed missing, and what was left was a bloody stump. He was pretty scared, so I got out the tender trap that I have, and trapped the poor guy. He freaked, there was blood. We got him in the car and on the way to the vet.

While on the way, I was on the phone with the lady from the rescue I work with, who is also a nurse. One of the things we were unsure about was what kind of quality of life he'd have. You see, a cat's urinary track is located in the base of the tail. So depending on how far down the tail they would have to trim back, he might have ended up incontinent. We got up there, and went into the back surgery area, and started to get him examined. We decided to go ahead with the surgery. We told the vet if he was going to be incontinent then to just euthanize him, because no one is going to adopt a incontinent cat, and I already have 8 of my own. One of which is already affectionately known as Mr. Pisser. If the cat was going to be fine, just neuter him.

Obviously things went great, because he's living in my house and Ree has fallen in love with him. The problem is, she's going back and forth on the adoption. Her sister is afraid it might be too much of an expense. Ree's grandchild doesn't appear to be allergic to cats, but she could be one day. Ree just had to buy new appliances for her kitchen.

The adoption fee is $120. Ree has an old litter box from her last cat. I will hook her up with some food and litter. The cat will be an indoor only cat, so shots etc are negligible.

The cat himself is a big cuddly suck, that just wants to be loved. I also happen to think he would look lovely on Ree's new quilt

I've included pics for reference:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ON264.11728159-2-pn.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	1202   Click image for larger version

Name:	ON264.11728159-3-pn.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	1203  

a sucking chest wound is merely mother nature's way of telling you to slow down - Arm

Old 01-25-2009, 04:01 AM
Hot Coffee Mod

The cat is cute (who wouldn't love Pirate Cat?) but I don't feel qualified to advise Ree (or anyone else) on whether adopting a pet is the right thing to do.

Only Ree knows her full situation well enough to make that decision, I think.

~TechSmith 314
HellGate: London

YES
Old 01-25-2009, 04:01 AM
I blame my genetics

Default YES

Yes, Ree should adopt the adorable little ball of fluff. Both her and the cat have been through a hell and it seems would have a sympathetic understanding and would be able to help each other through tough times. In addition, pets make life more fun.

If it were me and I were in Ree's position, I would adopt the furry friend and go from there.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:16 AM
Purveyor of Bacon

Pets make you live longer.

'Nuff said.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:43 AM
Snake Handler

I didn't vote. Only Ree knows.

However, I will say this. I rescued a dog many years ago. I had no intention of keeping him. My goal was to find him a good home.

The dog wanted to be my dog. And I adored him. But my house was too small, and I worked all day, and I just don't think I'd make a good owner for him, and really, how much time do I really have, and blah blah blah blah.

I was talking about this in the studio at Public Television to a friend, going back and forth about how crappy a life the dog would have with me.

Then a dude in the studio, a guest, who was reading a newspaper and apparently not ignoring us as we thought he was looked up and said, "Look, does the dog love you?"

I just stood there, like a doofus that had never even considered that, and he went on "I bet the dog loves you. If he does, and you love him back, he's your dog. Keep him. He doesn't care about your situation."

I kept the dog.

Thinking about how I almost gave that dog up scares the hell out of me.

So, look, Ree...does the cat love you?

Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 01-25-2009 at 05:46 AM.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:06 AM
Bagger

I've discovered that we don't pick our pets, they kind of pick us. No matter how long you're gone, they'll remember you, too. Years ago, my aunt let me, my brother, and sister pick two cats to take home from the litter that had been born under her porch.

We took home two cats, a boy and a girl, whom we later named Ebenezer and Ariel. Though my brother picked Eb out, I was the one that named him. Evidently, somewhere in his Georgia backwoods DNA there was Maine Coon or Norwegian Forest Cat, because he exploded into a mass of hair when he became an adult.

Anyway, Eb chose me as his "pet human" rather than my brother and even after I moved out and away to Chicago, he remembered who I was when I came home for visits and would go looking for me for days after I would leave. Sadly, he had to be laid to rest in the spring of last year. Old age and failing health were slowly catching up. He's sleeping in his favorite spot under the fig tree at home and I miss him.

Ree, take Stumpers home. Love him, and give him a good life.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:45 AM
Chairman of the Board

i honestly believe every pet we have choice us.
Max chose my brother.
Misty picked me and my sister.
Chance chose my parents.
Vixy chose my dad.
Buster chose me and my dad.
Diablo chose my brother.
Tonks chose my sister.
Chubbs chose me.
Luke chose my brother.
Serenity loves every member of outr family.
and Claire chose my dad, then me.
if Ree already wants that cat, then its her cat.
No matter what it will always be Ree's cat.
She should have her cat.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:38 AM
\_(ツ)_/

I vote no comment.

Only Ree can decide if adopting the cat is right for her at this time.

It is a cute cat, though.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Old 01-25-2009, 09:52 AM
MRGLGRLGLRLG!

Quote:
Quoth The Gatekeeper View Post
The cat himself is a big cuddly suck, that just wants to be loved. I also happen to think he would look lovely on Ree's new quilt
Well, only Ree knows Ree's situation well enough for the true decision, but I'll say this...there's no cat more grateful than a rescue. They understand.

He really does have the look of a cat who just wants to be loved.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:40 AM
Hotel Drone

No comment. You can't decide for her, ultimately the choice is hers.

But if she doesn't want him, can I have him? Sure, my roommate is allergic, but who cares? I'm moving in a couple months.

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart
Closed Thread