Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm sure they are now talking about how sucky I am.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm sure they are now talking about how sucky I am.

Many of you are familiar with my hatred of playing twenty questions just to buy something. In short, I dont' give out personal info, such as my phone number, at cash registers. I am not sucky about it, but I will politely decline. Sometimes I ask what they want with it.

Babies R Us is one of the worst. Everytime I go in there, I make a game of asking what it will be used for. I have asked about 5 different occasions. I have about 5 different answers.

You know, they could just be honest and come out and say they are going to sell it to a Direct Marketing list. I mean, they still won't get it, but at least I'd respect their honesty.

So last night, I'm ringing out, and there were two young girls there...one doing the cashiering and one kind of hanging out. (the store wasn't particularly busy.)

Cashier 1: Phone number starting with area code, please.
    Me: And what will that be used for?
    Cashier (looking suprised. They always do when I ask that.) Um...I am not sure. (looks to cashier 2, the one hanging out, for support.)
    Cashier 2: Its so they can send out coupons.
    Me: Coupons?
    C2: Yes.
    Me: They are sending coupons through the MAIL using my phone number?
    C2: Yes.
    Me: (at this point, I just give her a disgusted look.
    C2: They do.
    Me: (dismissing her and loading my stuffon the belt.) Please.

I didn't give them my number and they at least had enough brains to not ask for it again.

What is it about 17 year olds (no offense to any 17 year olds on here) who think that people become stupider as they age? If a person reaches the height of their intellectual superiority at 17, then why should they become stupider as the years roll past? Ptah. Wow, how did I ever reach my forties without ever knowing that I could jot a phone number down on an envelope, drop it into the mail, and have it get where it needs to go? I bet I've been wasting money on stamps, too. Probably Hello Kitty stickers would work just as well.

Well, it's just as well, I was home all day alone, so I hadn't gotten my Recommended Daily Allowance of Smartass Kid. So good thing I ran into one.

I am sure Babies R Us has an entire department full of people who do nothing else all day except cross-reference phone numbers on the internet so they can get the mailing addresses they REALLY want but are too shy to ask for. Then they shred the phone numbers to keep them out of Direct Marketing hands.

I don't give mine out either, unless it's absolutely needed. For example, if I'm having something delivered, they might need to call me if they get lost.

However, they do not need it for the pack of batteries I'm buying at the store and taking with me. Like you, I don't get an attitude about it, I just politely tell them I don't give it out. If they insist, then they get the number of the voicemail system at my job. Back when I still had a second line used solely for my dialup, I'd give them that number. I've been wanting to find the number for a telemarketing company and start giving that out, but I've never gotten around to it.

Funny you mentioned Babies R Us. I've never been there, but I have been to Toys R Us several times, and they're the worst ones about the phone number thing. One time, like you, I asked what they needed it, and the answer I got was, "It's store policy."

OK... that's not what I asked. I chose not to make a big deal of it, because I'm sure the cashier was only doing what she was told, and I didn't want to hold up the long line. I gave her the number for my second line, mentioning that "no one can reach a live person at that number anyway." She looked kind of annoyed, for some reason.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I always use (my area code) 555-1212
      That's the # for toll free info.
      Good luck to any telemarketer that calls me there.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
        Me: They are sending coupons through the MAIL using my phone number?
        Yup. They use your phone records to get your address from the reverse phone directory. It's also how they track you on how often you shop there.

This is not a defense for the policy, BTW. My store just does the same thing, and since I HATE giving out private info myself, I called Corporate once to find out how it works. We also get in trouble if we don't "capture" enough numbers. Bleck.

And in my book, since you didn't give the cashier a lecture on privacy laws etc., you were not a sucky customer. (I lose 30 minutes daily listening to why someone has the right to not give me a number, instead of just saying "no thank you.")

You can imagine how much my managers hate me, because I just don't CARE about the "capture" rate.

Comment

The only time I've had to ask for a customer's phone number, it's been for check verification purposes. I'm not entirely sure why the register prompts, but it only does it for some checks (usually the same ones that ask for an ID#), and I think it has something to do with how the bank tells that a legit person is using the checks. Only one customer so far has told me she doesn't give out her phone number, and when I explained that it's for the check verification, she recited it to me softly so I could punch it into the register (and subsequently forget about it). I highly doubt Wal-Mart's register system is sophisticated enough to collect these phone numbers for later selling or something.
          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
          - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

I forgot to add - Corporate told me that if the customers say no when you ask once, you cannot ask again. Legalities and all.

Comment

http://www.rejectionhotline.com/

You can get a number for your area. Just give that out.

ALABAMA
              334-541-0107
              ARKANSAS
              501-340-3896
              ARIZONA
              602-230-4210
              CALIFORNIA
              310-217-7638 (Los Angeles)
              916-733-1550 (Sacramento)
              858-492-8002 (San Diego)
              415-356-9833 (San Francisco)
              408-236-2060 (San Jose)
              COLORADO
              303-607-7527
              D.C. (Washington DC)
              202-452-7468
              FLORIDA
              352-475-6679 (Gainesville)
              904-879-8012 (Jacksonville)
              305-241-0033 (Miami)
              407-338-0036 (Orlando)
              407-970-8278 (Orlando)
              813-273-8160 (Tampa)
              561-986-0035
              321-844-0033
              954-287-0023
              GEORGIA
              706-335-0511 (Athens)
              770-908-7383 (Atlanta)
              ILLINOIS
              773-509-5027
              INDIANA
              317-332-0670
              IOWA
              641-985-7888
              KANSAS
              785-875-3188
              KENTUCKY
              270-735-1622
              MAINE
              Temporarily Unavailable
              Check Back Soon
              MASSACHUSETTS
              617-861-3962 (Boston)
              413-351-2684
              508-556-3549
              781-654-2925
              978-364-8939
              MARYLAND
              410-347-1488
              MICHIGAN
              248-262-6861
              MINNESOTA
              612-232-1638
              MISSOURI
              314-359-3930 (St. Louis)
              417-326-2677 (Springfield)
              MISSISSIPPI
              601-792-4440
              NEBRASKA
              402-827-9874 (Lincoln)
              402-434-6535 (Omaha)
              NEVADA
              702-386-5397
              NEW HAMPSHIRE
              603-413-2340
              NEW JERSEY
              973-409-3011
              NEW MEXICO
              505-310-2496
              NEW YORK
              212-660-2245 (New York City)
              516-730-7245 (Long Island)
              718-971-5245
              845-259-2245
              914-269-4245
              518-935-4012 (Albany)
              315-682-1822 (Syracuse)
              716-357-2127 (Buffalo)
              NORTH CAROLINA
              828-859-2905
              704-264-2861 (Charlotte)
              OHIO
              216-269-0085 (Cleveland)
              419-452-6002
              440-328-3382
              OKLAHOMA
              918-649-1711
              OREGON
              503-450-9938
              PENNSYLVANIA
              215-618-1505 (Philly)
              814-337-4101 (Penn State)
              RHODE ISLAND
              401-648-6543
              SOUTH CAROLINA
              803-358-0885
              TENNESSEE
              901-328-8380 (Memphis)
              615-346-2800 (Nashville)
              TEXAS
              512-647-4813 (Austin)
              972-504-6270 (Dallas)
              817-326-1433 (Ft. Worth)
              713-866-6249 (Houston)
              210-893-7109 (San Antonio)
              UTAH
              801-296-7163
              VIRGINIA
              703-912-1725
              WASHINGTON
              206-376-9798 (Seattle)
              Spokane - Coming Soon)
              WASHINGTON DC
              202-452-7468
              WISCONSIN
              414-243-1102

Comment

"I've been wanting to find the number for a telemarketing company and start giving that out, but I've never gotten around to it."

Oooh. Brilliant.

Nah, I see no reason to give the cashier a hard time. Likely she's just as keen to move me through and see me on my way as I am. The only time I ever went into a bona fide complaint to one was once I was in Lowes and I noticed the cashier's tag said "Manager" on it. And on a previous visit, the cashier had wanted to argue with me about my refusal to give it up. I wasn't nasty to him, but I let him know that as a customer, I found it offensive to be continually harrassed for private information when all I wanted was to check out. He was pretty nice, actually. He said if that ever happened again, tell the cashier to punch in all fives. He said the cashiers aren't supposed to be persistant like that.

Didn't know the cashiers have "quotas." That is unfortunate, but I'm still not giving out that info. I will if I'm trying to pay with a check or something, or if I'm having something delivered, or something like that. But otherwise, not gonna happen.

I won't give out a fake number, either. I want it very obvious I refused to comply so I don't give the impression I'm okay with it.

Comment

We have a "Customer Data Not Available" button - I love it.

And it's not a cashier quota - it's a store quota, so most of the time the cashier is just told "you NEED to get the number, just keep asking" so the store looks good.

Comment

Actually, I was supremely sucky in store once for this very reason. The cashier wouldn't take no for an answer. She wanted to argue, and then said, "Well, I can't ring you up without it." So I said. "Oh. Okay." and cheerfully walked out leaving about 200 bucks worth of crap on the belt.

That time, I did call the manager and let him know what I'd done and why. If that was his policy, he needed to know his policy sucked. If his cashier sucked, well, he needed to know that, too.

Yeah, it was sucky. I was pregnant and cranky. Sue me.

Comment

Reminds me of a time when a computer store somewhat near me thought they would be really clever and make everyone give their information - address, telephone number, etc, for any and all purposes.

Bear in mind that this was about a decade ago or so... 486's were hot dogs back then, and pentiums were a gleam in a chip developer's eye.

Friend of mine went in, and he was purchasing a decent video card. They insisted on knowing his name, address, phone number etc.

"This is cash. This is product. I am going to swap one for the other. If you insist on getting that information, you are getting neither cash nor information."

He got his card with no more questions asked.

Rapscallion

Comment

Actually, I was supremely sucky in store once for this very reason. The cashier wouldn't take no for an answer. She wanted to argue, and then said, "Well, I can't ring you up without it." So I said. "Oh. Okay." and cheerfully walked out leaving about 200 bucks worth of crap on the belt.
                        Good for you. I got a manager fired for insisting that I tell people I couldn't ring them up without a number, which I refused, pointing out the "Customer Data Not Available" button.

She sent me home for insubordination, I called the District Manager from the parking lot. I never saw her again.

Comment

I won't give out a fake number, either. I want it very obvious I refused to comply so I don't give the impression I'm okay with it.
                          Exactly, although giving information that's obviously fake sends pretty much the same message. I've found that giving "Bosch, Hieronymous", "I don't have a phone", and "99999" for name, phone and zip code lets the cashier off the hook while also clearly expressing my desire to retain my privacy.

Of course, half the time I then pay by credit card and they get whatever info they want anyway.

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
                            http://www.rejectionhotline.com/

You can get a number for your area. Just give that out.
                            Lol, that is hilarious! I'm going to memorize it and start giving it out to unwanted interest
                            "Most lies about blondes are false."
                            - Cincinnati Times-Star, headline
                            "If you love your job, you haven't worked a day in your life." --Tommy Lasorda

Comment

Dumb first time posting, but...

Okay, so I've never posted before, but I felt like I could add to this discussion in a semi-productive manner.

Anyway, when I worked for Circuit City, we collected phone numbers, addresses, etc., and if you lost your receipt or needed to look up a plan purchase or needed a receipt for an insurance claim ten years after your purchase, that was the info we used to look it up. We were told the lists were not sold, which I believe (I had an 'alter ego' I used for non-employee purchases, using my real address and phone #, and a fake name, and never got anything from anybody to that name), and it did make it awfully handy when someone needed to have anything looked up. I kinda miss that system; I could find ANYTHING, given time. Anyway, if people didn't want to give their info (we were prompted for all purchases over $100, no matter the pay type), we used the store's phone number. That purchase history was loooooong, heh. If people asked about it, I told them what I knew - we need that info so we can look up your purchase if you ever need it. If they didn't care, that was fine with me. They didn't 'track' us to see how many we got, as far as I know.

Yeah, long story for no purpose, first post no less. Sorry!

Comment

Working...
                              X