This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explain your User Name!

I felt like starting this thread because someone just realized that my User Name is NOT my real name, and asked me about it.

For about 20 years, maybe even 25, I have been a HUGE fan of the DC Comics superhero Green Lantern. When I first got online about a decade ago, I wanted a name with ties to Green Lantern, and Jack T. Chance is the name of my favorite alien member of the Green Lantern Corps! It also happens to be a name from the pages of Green Lantern that virtually no one had snatched up on message boards or email systems, allowing me to secure it as my own all over the interwebz! If you happen to encounter a Jack T. Chance elsewhere in your cyberspace wanderings, there's a 99% probability you're seeing Yours Truly!

You can read more about Jack HERE and OVER HERE.

I now turn this over to the rest of you.

BTW, I searched several times and could not find a previous thread about this topic. If I somehow missed it, my apologies.
    "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
    --StanFlouride

Ana Khouri is a character in Alastair Reynolds' "Revelation Space" trilogy of sf novels. While the series ended up going down the toilet in the last book, she still remained my favorite character.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Well, for those to whom it's not obvious, there is a band named Green Day that I REALLY love.
      "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Having had various jokes and comments made about my height over the years the only original comment has been 'crazylegs'. It amused me so much I thought I'd use it here when I re-registered a couple of years back.
        A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Well....Joi is my middle name (though it's legally spelled "Joy.") I never went by my middle name, but when I was about 13 and we got the internet, I decided to register for AIM. None of my choices for an SN there were available, so I got mad and typed in an SN that was a corrupted spelling of my nickname (now no longer in use) and my middle name. It took.

After that I start going by "Joi" online, and took it as my preferred name in college. I was an art major, so....

Joi the Artist

(and yes, I still do some art: www.joitheartist.deviantart.com)
          "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

Nothing really special about mine.

Waaay back, before I was even able to get a permit, I was in love with the Toyota Camry. That was the model I was determined to get. So when I finally got a computer I picked Camry as my screen name. The numbers are just the month and year I was born. It was my very first screen name and I still use it now.

When I first joined CS, I was too lazy to pick something different. And that's why this is my user name.

P.S.- I never did get the Camry. My first car was a Nissan Altima which I've had for almost nine years. I've been saving up for a 2010 Toyota Prius!!
            If you don't like my attitude, talk to the manager!!! Oh, wait, that would be me!!

Yes, I'm the manager. I'm also known as "the brick wall".

Comment

I found mine in book. She was an evil b!tch that liked to mess up everyones plans.

Here i am!!

The 516 part is my bday!

Comment

Well, I lurked a bit before I joined, and I noticed at the time there were a number of people with "jockey" in their names, and that just sorta stuck in my brain when it was time to pick a user name, and I worked as an usher at a movie theatre. Thus, I used a broom a lot. Broomjockey. It wasn't until later I discovered that most of the "jockeys" were girls, leading to a lot of people assuming I was a girl, and the "BJ" shortening (Don't call me that.). Sorry, no great stories here.
                Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I served with a lot of Hispanic guys and they gave me the nickname after I threw a guy through a window in Crete. It kind of stuck and after hearing it for six years, I'm just used to it...
                  "Beatings will continue until morale improves!"

Comment

No honey, we call you BJ because we know you like *gutterbrained response here*.

I'm Evil and I'm the Queen of my fantasy world. Makes sense (which is rare).
                    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

it was the system assigned screen name that my college eudora e-mail server assigned me 13 years ago. I'm just to lazy to change it.
                      They say crime doesn't pay. That must mean what I'm doing at work is illegal.

Comment

mine started out as just Pepper. I was looking around for something to use as a screen name and saw a can of Dr. Pepper. The SH came from a friend who used to call me his Spicy Hot Pepper. I just shortened it from there.

Comment

I started using it on IRC when I was in college, after a song by the ELO. It stuck, even after I've started using No_56 more frequently on IRC these days.
                          "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
                          - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Freeatlast is how I felt when I was finally downsized from the Call Center from Hell after putting up with 16 years of their BS. Yes, I was happy about it because I received quite a nice severance package for it.
                            "I guess they see another cash cow just waiting to be dry humped." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

For the record, Jack, I didn't really think Jack T. Chance was your real name...

I signed up several months after I had transferred from the bookstore to the distribution center. I couldn't think of anything better. I also actually signed up because I saw a post from someone who had a good experience in a B&N and wanted to know the best way to let them know it. So I signed up and posted an answer.

4,560 posts later.....
                              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                              X