This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "They don't make them anymore!"

Got a couple from last night. Why must Thursday always be the night of suck?

They don't make them anymore

Background: We used to sell Coke and Diet Coke in 1L cold bottle varieties which we were expected to fill whenever one of us filled drinks in the fridges in the front end. They were discontinued some time ago.

One-sided convo guy made a reappearance last night (one-sided convo guy comes in, talks to himself LOUDLY while wandering around the store but is completely normal to the checkout staff). anyway, this is a short lowdown.

Me: Your wonderful checkout peon
    OSCG: One-sided Convo Guy.
    C: Manager.

OSCG: Excuse meh...where do you keep the cold 1L Cokes?
    Me: Um.... lemme check. (Is about to pick up phone when I spot C walking past) Hey C, do we have anymore of the 1L cokes? (they were only kept cold in the fridge, they weren't on the shelves)
    C: Nope we don't sell them anymore.
    OSCG (to C): How come?
    C: They stopped making them.

From what I heard later from C, OSCG followed him all the way down to the backdock area asking why they didn't make them anymore...

Focus!

Can't remember the entire convo, but little background: one of the registers doesn't have a chute to do safe drops/pickups (clearing your register of most $50's and $20's) so they usually have to come to the next checkout to shove their safe drop up the chute.

One of our transfers asked me why the chute didn't have it. I was in the middle of serving a customer. Turned to explain to him why (that particular checkout used to only be used for processing home deliveries and PPU's, so it didn't need a safe drop as often) and I get yelled at for not focusing on the customer. I'd just finished the transaction, they just had to get their receipt and go. Thankfully they didn't lodge a complaint but Question is though: was I sucky? It was a work-related question, not me gossiping.
    Last edited by fireheart; 01-30-2009, 04:05 AM.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Huh we still have the 1L bottles here.

Comment

I'm in Australia Aethian.

Comment

Ah...oooo um, Oops? I knew that... *twitches*

As for the Focus section, I don't think so as you were being asked something by a coworker but I think as a customer I might be wary. I have been left and then ignored by a supermarket worker before when a coworker came up to ask a question and I was told, "Give me one sec."

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
          to shove their safe drop up the chute.
          I'm not prone to gutter. I swear. Yet somehow I found this comment obscene.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
            Question is though: was I sucky? It was a work-related question, not me gossiping.
            Nah. I do the same thing while training up or reviewing other cashiers. My customers tend to get a little lesson while I'm at it (I certainly have had enough ask me why we don't take Mastercard even though other stores in the branch can).
            Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

RW, I will agree on that part. Just about every new person we've hired in the last 6 months or so keeps coming to me and asking how do you do this or that, or waiting for me to give them a job to do. A few times I've gotten a little frustrated, waved my hands in the air and gone "I am not a supervisor!" usually if it's something that I can't do because it requires an override code or something similar.
              Here's the breakdown of who has what:

-Several have smokeshop priveliages (have the power to do refunds, exchanges etc. and sell smokes). This I REALLY don't get, because a good 60% of us are old enough to help on the smokeshop counter, we're smart enough to ID people underage and even those with smokeshop priveliages do get caught at some stage if they're stealing.
              -One has cash office priveliages (which puts her at the same level as the supervisors)
              -About 10 or so people have supervisor priveliages (can do overrides, quantities, spot checks, refunds, exchanges and about a million other things).
              -Six or seven have liquor priveliages.

Of these, I really don't get why you even need priveliages to help in the smokeshop. Liquor is more understandable because besides needing to be 18, you also need a liquor license which can be done simply through a 1-day course.

Comment

Working...
              X