This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun with WIC/EBT

This thread is dedicated to the woes of WIC checks and EBT cards. This thread should be about run-ins with SCs who try and buy Lucky Charms with WIC checks, or lobster with EBT. This thread can also be about stories about run-ins with SCs (and you, the employee merely trying to uphold the policy on WIC/EBT) who have gotten you in trouble/written up/fired/fuming angry.

I really don't have any complaints on WIC. I didn't see a lot of them working at the grocery store. Although, when I did, I did see people trying to buy chocolate milk with WIC checks, like the example above: Lucky Charms with WIC checks, stuff that wasn't WIC approved. No one could make a case against me, I had the entire brochure in a drawer by my till that had every single WIC approved item in it. I wasn't rude about it, though, as much as I wanted to be.

A woman on foodstamps/EBT got me suspended for 3 days. I am not trying to make disparaging comments about people on FS, but people like this woman don't deserve free food.

One time when I was cleaning my bedroom, I found my copy of the write-up. I replayed it all in my mind, but I ended up just getting extremely angry.

We had this extremely nuts coupon deal at the grocery store. Every week, 4 coupons went out to people in the mail. These coupons were for ridiculously low prices, like eggs for 18 cents, bread for like....89 cents? I can't remember exactly, and then there was always ONE freebie. I think it was chips that week, but I can't be for certain. Anyways......it even said on the coupons "one coupon per customer per visit per purchase". Anyone who can read surely can understand that.

Obviously not. And no, this woman wasn't the only person that pulled that crap on us. Now, whenever a customer had multiple items with those coupons, we really didn't say anything, and just got a manager override. We were actually told to just let them get away with it!

So here comes this rough looking woman with her god knows how many children she had (2, 3, or was it 4?) and her overflowing cart. She was nice enough to seperate the items that had the coupons, but here's the kicker:

This woman had 8 of every single item with a coupon. YES, 8 of all 4 coupons. So that's 32 coupons.....not to mention she got 4 free bags of chips out of it!

Then she gets all fussy when my register beeps and prompts that a manager override was needed. She goes "What's all that noise fer?" and I calmly explained that I needed a manager's override if customers bought more than the 1 item per coupon. She then goes, "So you're saying what I'm doing is WRONG?" and I can't remember exactly what I said, I know I said "No" for sure, even though inside I was thinking "yes, yes, you disgusting scammer".

Then the lady (and she's lucky I call her a lady) goes "I'm on FOODSTAMPS. I can't even afford to feed my children! You're saying what I'm doing is WRONG?" (and I'd never even said yes in the first place).

Then she brings up the whole dramatic, "You're trying to take food right out of my children's mouths!" (more like your fat mouth, you cow. Your kids look way too young to be noshing on 4 bags of chips and a 6 pack of 24 oz bottles of Mt Dew and Pepsi).

She left and then called the store, saying that I'd said what she did was "wrong" and again brought up how poor she is, and how she can barely afford to make ends meet, blah blah blah, and how dare someone like me tell her that she can't get food for her children.

The manager on duty called me into the office and formally wrote me up and told me of my 3 day suspension. I refused to sign the slip, but I wanted a copy of it for the records. I also wanted him to formally write up what she complained about. I was dead set on writing a defense and giving it to HR, but I never ended up doing it.

I hope that woman was happy......after all, (what my manager typed up explained everything she'd complained about, and he added what he did to take action) she got COUPONS and gift certificates and a formal apology for my rude behavior.

How about a formal apology for trying to scam the store? We never got one.

*btw: The reason I got suspended was because I'd already previously been written up for my drawer being off. After so many times, you're suspended, then retrained, etc etc*
    Last edited by blas; 07-11-2006, 01:15 PM.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Thankfully, I don't get very many WIC or foodstamps where I live. What really irks me though is the people who'll get the necessities with the WIC, then buy plain junk food with the EBT. (For those of y'all across the pond, WIC is called women, infants, and children. It's only for specified necessities - milk, 100% juice, eggs, dried beans, formula, certain cereals. EBT is foodstamps - it pays for just about anything edible, with a few exceptions). I've talked to my dad several times (he's a politician) about somehow making it so that those who buy healthier foods get more money, and those who buy junk and abuse the system get systematically less money. EBT is for nutrition, not to buy your kid a birthday party (I've seen them blow upwards of $60 on a cake....with foodstamps). I also think they need to trim what's allowed with EBT. Our registers are (barely) smart enough to discern EBT from regular stuff, so it can all be combined into one order. Therefore, it knows what it covers and what it doesn't. Wanna solve the obesity epidemic? Start looking at what the government CAN (or should be able to) control first

Ok...off my tirade. The only real problem I had was when a lady didn't have her WIC card with her (the little signature thing). I told her I couldn't accept it, and she got upset saying no one's checked the card before, etc. So I got my manager who deals with idiots and doesn't take their crap and she said that I was absolutely right and doing my job, and if others weren't checking the card, they weren't doing theirs. She said the WIC office told her to keep the card in the lil envelope with all the checks, and place that in a desk or something - leave it at home. I don't really doubt that, as I'm sure geniuses work there too, but she should have been caught before this point. So...long story short, she didn't get her stuff, and I got praise for doing what I was supposed to do. What can I say - I have awesome management
    Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.

Proverbs 22:6

Comment

At the gas station where I used to work, we didn't take EBT. Not that that stopped people from trying. I don't have a problem in the world with people doing what they have to to feed themselves and their families, and I always was friendly and sympathetic when telling people that I was sorry, but I couldn't take their EBT card. Except one time.

This woman came into my store, spent over $50 total buying scratch off tickets a dollar at a time, which any gas station veteran can tell you is uber-annoying. Not only that, but she scratched them off (a dollar at a time) right at the counter, and tried to cut in front of customers waiting in line each time she wanted another one.

Finally, she used up all her cash except for three bucks and some change, and decided to buy a pack of "our cheapest smokes." No problem, I rang her up and hoped she'd leave. No such luck. She went around the store, getting milk, eggs, bread, and lunchmeat, brought it back up to the counter, and whipped out an EBT card.

There was never a person more satisfied with their lot in life than I was as I smilingly informed her we couldn't accept EBT. Of course, she flew into a full-on temper tantrum, telling me I was trying to keep her from feeding her family, and her kids were going to go hungry and it was all my fault.

We finally had to call the cops to come and get her, and the guy that took her away said, "So you spent all your money on lotto and smokes, and it's this girl's fault you can't buy bread? Get in the car and shut up." He got free donuts from then on.
      Dips: The best karma happens when you let a jerk bash themselves senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

Comment

Here in PA the WIC agency has started issueing checks that can be used at any authorized WIC retailer instead of making applicants select one store. But we now have to get ID for every check. Until last Monday we were forbidden to ask for any ID other than their WIC; now we must scan their ID into the register (or get their SSN) for every check. If they have 4 checks in a row we need their ID 4 times. That's causing alot of problems.
        Mon aéroglisseur est plein des anguilles!"

Comment

Quoth blas87
          Then the lady (and she's lucky I call her a lady) goes "I'm on FOODSTAMPS. I can't even afford to feed my children! You're saying what I'm doing is WRONG?" (and I'd never even said yes in the first place).

Then she brings up the whole dramatic, "You're trying to take food right out of my children's mouths!" (more like your fat mouth, you cow. Your kids look way too young to be noshing on 4 bags of chips and a 6 pack of 24 oz bottles of Mt Dew and Pepsi).

Maybe people like her should have thought about all this before they spawned. If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em.

Personally, I'm sick to death of watching all these people load up on expensive crap that us workers can't afford. And we WORK. Something's wrong here.

Food stamps should only be allowed for purchases on REAL food. I.E. fruits, vegetable, whole grains, dairy etc. Let them fucking COOK for chrissakes.

Comment

WIC at both the stores I worked at never was a major problem. My only complaint about it was that it was sometimes very illogical, like some flavors of Juicy Juice not ringing up as WIC when all other flavors are or the small size boxes being WIC when the larger size of the same stuff (and the size still being in the limit on the voucher) not ringing up right. Sometimes I do get people that fuss, but not very often. Also, at my other store, I would often have to help Spanish speaking customers find the right items via use of pointing and charades. Those people usually were really nice about it though.

Some EBT stories:

-During my very first week as a cashier I had a lady come through my line and spend the whole time talking to my bagger about the new pool she just got. When it came time to pay, she used an EBT card. I remember thinking that she could have easily bought groceries had she not gotten her stupid pool.

-Another time I had a man come through with $15-20 worth of groceries, a six pack of beer, an EBT card, and a $20 bill. After I rang him up, it rejected his EBT card because he didn't have enough on it. Guess what he left behind and what he used his $20 on.

-I get people all the time coming through fussing and whining about food from the deli not being EBT.

Comment

Help?

I know what WIC is, but can someone explain EBT? As you can guess, I've never worked register, so while I have some idea what it must be, I'm ignorant on the specifics.
              Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

Quoth PuckishOne
                I know what WIC is, but can someone explain EBT? As you can guess, I've never worked register, so while I have some idea what it must be, I'm ignorant on the specifics.
                see, I know about EBT, but I don't know about WIC...so please explain
                Movie, Music, Anime and many more reviews...coming soon!

Comment

Okay, we'll trade...

Quoth toolbert
                  see, I know about EBT, but I don't know about WIC...so please explain
                  If memory serves, WIC (Women, Infants & Children) is a program for low-income mothers that helps them buy things like milk, baby food, other feeding-related things, and might also have something to do with well-child care (but I'm not entirely sure). My only exposure to this has been via the infamous "people I know," so I might not be completely accurate. But that's the general idea.
                  Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

Yes, WIC stands for Women, Infant and Children.
                    You are given vouchers for food (vegetables, milk, cereal, formula) There are restrictions to what kind and how much you can get.
                    WIC also provides free well-baby check-ups and immunizations.

WIC saved our lives when our son was born. If it wasn't for WIC we may not have eaten as healthy as we did, nor had the money for all the doctor's appointments (my insurance at the time was horrible). Our son was a "surprise" so any assistance we were given was appreciated.
                    "There is no rehab for stupidity." --Chris Rock
                    "You learn something new and stupid every day you work in retail."--IhateCrappyTire

Comment

well EBT is basically similar to food stamps instead of it being a set of stamps, its like a debit card that holds the amount that they are allotted for food and what not. The same restrictions apply to the EBT cards as they do to the food stamps
                      Movie, Music, Anime and many more reviews...coming soon!

Comment

Down here in FL, we don't have to slide their ID (in fact, I could care less if they have their ID on them for WIC). We have to look at their WIC card (with names/signatures of authorized purchasers) and match it against the signature they put on the check. If they don't match, sucks for them. There can be as many as....4 (I think) authorized purchasers per WIC "account". No card, no dice (see my story above). Some of the WIC checks are for special formula for the babies...they can get like 4 cans of this kind of this size - gotta check EVERYTHING to make sure it matches up - and the total can come out to well over $60. I can only imagine how expensive that would get out of pocket. I work with children at school, and I see how much formula some of those kids eat - they're like vacuum cleaners. I totally agree with WIC - people don't realize exactly how much a baby costs until you're scrounging up money to pay for one. Foodstamps (EBT) are great and wonderful too, as long as they're not abused (which I see more abuse than not). Just my feelings about it.

Side note [slightly off-topic]: I wrote the governer a few years back (my dad knows him sorta) about a lady I saw with like 4-6 WIC checks, then all kinds of crapola on food stamps (upwards of $150 of junk). I explained my concerns of wasting money, how it'd be cheaper to educate them now and not pay for their healthcare/insulin/etc later, and he wrote me back! He said that he agreed I had a genuine concern and that he'd look into it. I was...17 at the time I think. Just shows that if you write a politician - even the governer - you can potentially get things accomplished. Or at least get a response
                        Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.

Proverbs 22:6

Comment

One time I was getting a cart at a food 4 less, and some guy came up to me and said "I'll pay for your food" so I was a bit confused as to why he wanted to do that. So I asked "how and why are you going to pay for my food?". He whipped out his EBT card and says you go into the store shop for your groceries and I'll pay for them and then when we get outside you pay me with cash. My expression was something like .
                          KAHN: I thought being smart person in Texas set her apart.

KAHN: If my girl doesn't wrestle, I'll show you who put the sue in Souphanousinphone!

Comment

Quoth Think Blue
                            One time I was getting a cart at a food 4 less, and some guy came up to me and said "I'll pay for your food" so I was a bit confused as to why he wanted to do that. So I asked "how and why are you going to pay for my food?". He whipped out his EBT card and says you go into the store shop for your groceries and I'll pay for them and then when we get outside you pay me with cash. My expression was something like .
                            Unfortunately the Welfare and EBT programs are so riddled with fraud it's rediculous. I'd like to say that it's only a very tiny percentage of the people who use it are cheating the system. Of course that would mean giving humanity more credit than it deserves.
                            "I don't have an anger problem I have an idiot problem!" - Hank Hill

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run around in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Comment

My older sister was on WIC. She informed me that they are trained on how to place the items to the Cashier, at least here in Indiana. they also must inform the cashier that the transaction is WIC.

I rang up a $70 WIC order before the dude hands me the checks, meaning I had to void it, unbag it, and ring it up again....errrgghhh...during a One-day sale none the less...I was ready to kick something.

But the system does help those who use it properly. It's unfortunate that a few bad apples out there have to make the rest look bad. I go to school with a woman who is on EBT so that she can pay for food, since she is a full time non-traditional student with three boys. I tell her stories and she get's pissed off that people would abuse the system like that.
                              --AmericanZero8503--
                              Telling Stories from the Front Line a.k.a Customer Service at a Grocery Store

Comment

Working...
                              X