This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This bothers me.

Because of the sucktastic economy, and the fact that he will very likely get laid off this spring/summer, evidently my brother is seriously considering joining the Air Force for lack of any other job opportunities.

This bothers me, not least of which because I worry about him getting shipped off to someplace like Iraq - granted, he seems to be aiming for some type of mechanic position given his current skill level, and not anything that would put him into direct combat. But still... I'm also concerned about the disturbing reports I've heard about religious extremism/dominionism infiltrating the US military and I wouldn't want my brother to get broadsided by that insanity either.

Don't mistake me. I have high respect for our servicepeople. But IMO it takes a certain kind of person to be able to do that, and IMO my family isn't the type suited for it (though my dad was in the army in his younger days, and did time in Vietnam). It looks like a case of 'take whatever you can get'.
    ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Yeah, it's pretty scary when the Armed Services are viewed as a way away from the poorhouse. Though that's actually happened quite often throughout history. People would join the Army or some other branch so they could have food, clothes, and a place to live rather than starve on the streets </melodrama>.
    "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Just a quick note to let you know that of all the branches your brother could have chosen, Air Force is the most family oriented, fairest, and furthest from combat. Both of my brothers are in the Air Force, and are proud to be. Best of luck sweety, and if your brother DOES go Air Force, congrats on becoming the sister of an Airman

Comment

I know I've been out of the military for awhile, but when I was there, the only religious extremism was when people saw the religious light to get out of extra duty on Sunday. The chaplains were devoted and so were many soldiers, but each respected if that wasn't your religion. I knew Islamic soldiers, Jews, even a Hindu. All were happy and as gung-ho as the Christian soldiers.

As for Air Force, I could never say. The few Airmen I met were very technically minded and didn't have much care for religion. Of course, they also got a day off when it was raining, so....
        I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

I've talked to a few online communities. The general consensus I've been getting so far is that while there is a concerning problem with extremism (especially in particular branches), it's by no means an absolute and as far as danger goes the AF seems to be a lot less prone to it. So I feel more reassured on that count. If my brother does go for it, hopefully it will work out in his favor.
          ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

AH, know that if you ever want to talk, you can always PM me. I know what it's like to worry about brothers in the Air Force. Keep us posted OK?

Comment

I live in a Navy/Coast Guard town (check your maps!), so I deal with military people a lot. And from what I have seen, the religious extremism mentioned in an earlier post is no more so than what one would find in civilian life. Perhaps even less than that. And that can't really be blamed on this being Key West, as the military people who are here are SENT here, they don't MOVE here voluntarily as the rest of us did.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

Updateness of the minor variety

Brother has a physical scheduled for Monday. From what I was told by my SIL, the recruiter he met with thinks he may not make it into the USAF because he's (my brother, that is) on an antidepressant. (Note: I have no idea the extent of my brother's problems but SIL told me it wasn't serious) We'll see what happens.

Comment

well as a member of an army family with airforce and marine ties, i wouldn't go for airforce because all my family member in it are in dangerous jobs, but i understand being othered by the view of the military now

Comment

My dad is retired Air Force. 23 years. My mom's dad was in the Air Force for 26 years. I'm biased and I say Air Force is the way to go.

Air Force personnel do have what they term as a "hardshp tour" - usually it's 1 year in Korea by yourself (that means if you're married, you can't take your family with you). That's it. No other tour of duty without family.

Comment

tell that to my uncle rum, but then he is not in the airforce if you get what i mean.

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice
                        i wouldn't go for airforce because all my family member in it are in dangerous jobs
                        If my brother does get in, odds are he'll try to avoid just that - he wants to get into something technical/repair-oriented. Though it's possible he'd also fly the occasional plane. My dad flew a couple himself when working his own stint in the Army, though I don't think he did combat missions, just was transferring equipment around.

Quoth idrinkarum View Post
                        Air Force personnel do have what they term as a "hardshp tour" - usually it's 1 year in Korea by yourself (that means if you're married, you can't take your family with you). That's it. No other tour of duty without family.
                        My brother is married...wonder how that will fly (no pun intended) with my SIL and nephew. I'm assuming though that he's weighed the pros and cons of his situation and has some idea of what to possibly expect, and I would certainly hope that whatever decision he makes, it doesn't come lightly. We were talking about that stuff last night at dinner, and SIL told us her cousin (who is in the Natl. Guard) spent about 3 years on 'alert' duty status and just recently got her first deployment papers, to Qatar. Shortly thereafter my brother said something like "yeah, I know that's a possibility for me too but it comes with the territory." So that sounds to me like he's well aware of his gamble.

I just hope the dice are loaded in his (good) favor.

Thanks for the support, gang.

Comment

Is your brother prepared to drop everything for the Air Force for the rest of his life? I've been reading a lot of stories about people that were fully retired or discharged honorably years (some even decades) ago, that are now being recalled to active duty.

Comment

Fresh update

Quoth strawbabies View Post
                            Is your brother prepared to drop everything for the Air Force for the rest of his life? I've been reading a lot of stories about people that were fully retired or discharged honorably years (some even decades) ago, that are now being recalled to active duty.
                            I would hope so. Even my SIL has told him, "if you're having any second thoughts, now's the time to back out, because once you're in, they OWN you."

Incidentally, I chatted with her tonight. Evidently my brother's doctor was a former military MD, and wrote him a glowing review, so to speak. We should hear something by this Friday.

I'm still not sure how I feel about this. It still bothers me, especially now that it looks like it may well go through. I can't say as my brother and I are particularly close - we have serious differences of opinion on certain subjects - but neither are we estranged, and I certainly don't want him to get massively screwed over (or worse). I guess my anxiety is just acting up again.

Comment

My big brother did a tour of duty in Qatar. Actually he did two in Qatar and one in Kuwait. The guys really take care of each other over there. My BB was over in Qatar on his first tour when his son was born, and the HAM radio operators got him through to be on the phone with his wife when she wad delivering their first child, so even though he couldn't physically be there, he was still with her. Really, the Air Force is, IMHO the way to go, and this coming from an army/navy/air force/marine background. I've had a member of my family in every military branch... I'm actually in the minority in my siblings as all of them save my oldest sister (due to medical reasons) have been or are in the military.

Like I've said, feel free to PM me any time you want to talk hon, but don't worry too much. The Air Force is very family friendly

Comment

Working...
                              X