Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Women issues - men might not want to read this, but if they do, they're welcome to

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women issues - men might not want to read this, but if they do, they're welcome to

Here is some background, for those interested. (Again, men, you don't have to read if women issues make you squeamish).

I have all but 2 symptoms of Polycystic ovary syndrome. Also, my ovaries are actually health looking - no cysts in sight of my ovaries for miles. Which has not only confused my current gyno (but my gyno before him) and my GP (general practitioner) doctor.

However, since February 2004, I have not had a visit from "Aunt Flo". My gyno has put me on a low estrogen form of birth control (Yaz) and has told me not to worry as things like this sometimes happen. I have gained over 50 pounds in about 2 1/2 years, but I have maintained my weight (being within 5 pounds +/-) for the past 6 months.

end the background stuff

For the past 2 months, I have been having what seems to be, Aunt Flo saying "hello" to me. In plain English, I've been getting pains in my sides (on my left last month & my right this month) that used to signal I'd be getting my visit in about a week. I've been getting cramps (mild compared to what I used to get) but they are more constant than before. I've had the nauseous feeling I usually get when I've got my visit. I've even gotten the PMS. Also, and this is important, I have no desire to be touched (by anyone, not just my husband). And I don't mean, I don't want people touching me, I mean I want absolutely no one and nothing touching me (i.e., if I could go about naked for a week, I would because anything touching my skin makes my cramps, naseau, and PMS even worse).

The question I have, and I know this might be silly sounding, is this: should I call my gyno and tell him what has been happening for the past 2 months? Or should I wait until my next appointment - which won't be until the end of July?

It's making me nervous, because since I haven't had a visit in so long, I'm afraid the "dam" will burst and everything will gush out at once. (Not that it's a possibility, but I do have an overactive imagination).

Go now...faster! You might have a cyst...that may be part of the pain. It might not just be cramps.

The doctor needs to know stuff like this.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I would call your Doc and talk to at least a nurse. If things are this bad then the doc should know. There are other things that might be going on as well and I always say that it's better to call and ask then wait and have it be something major. Give your doc's office a call tomorrow and see if they do nurse consults. They do them here and what happens is you tell teh nurse what's going on and sometime the nurse can make recommendations on what you whoudl do and other times they say that youu need to see the doc and willtry to get you in sooner than planned.

Good luck and I hope that you feel better soon.

Comment

I would let your GYN know. It could be any of a number of things that really need to be examined now, rather than later.

So, a question then (feel free not to answer) - was Child result of IVF, or 'natural?' And were things worse before pregnancy, or after? I've heard that pregnancy can clear up PCS and other similar disorders.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'll give my doc a call in the morning.

I know he doesn't have a nurse that I can consult with so I'm just going to have to leave a message for him to have him call me back. He's a really good doctor, so I know he'll get back to me within 24 hours if not sooner.

Kiakat - Child Rum was natural. My "visits" have always been erratic and I actually thought I could never get pregnant. When I got pregnant, I was happy. I tried to breastfeed (which cuts into the visits - even making them stop as your body is concentrating on making milk for the baby and not wanting to do anything else for at least 6 months to a year). I had my period from the time I stopped breastfeeding until 4 months later. Then it stopped completely (at first I thought it was because of stress because we had just gotten Child Rum out of the P.I.C.U. and then I got really sick the next day so my body just decided not to do anything).

Oh, yeah, another thing I forgot. Back in the late part of 2007, I was spotting a few times a month for about 2 or 3 months and that stopped also.

Sorry if this is long and TMI. But yeah, y'all are probably right and I do need to let my doc know.

Comment

Call, tell them what's going on, and see if they think you should come in right away or if they think it can wait. And if talking to them doesn't make you feel better, make the appointment anyway.

Some doctors also do email consults. You might see if your doc does that.
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Good to see that you're going to be seeing your Dr.

Its so hard to know that something is wrong and not know what is going on.

I would have your Dr. check into possible dermoids - http://yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/...moid-cyst.html

I had them and they are excrutiating . I had Auntie Flo visits almost every day for more than 2 years and no one could find an answer, but they manifest in other ways including not having a period.

Insist on every test possible. It's not in your mind (sorry, I'm a bit bitter they didn't find out sooner - they kept saying there was nothing wrong until I insisted they go further!).

Dermoids were not apparent during physical examins and only showed up on MRIs and ultrasounds and they were HUGE - 7cm (small lemon) and 11cm (small orange) each!

I was so sensitive to people being around me - touch, smell - I'm surprised my SO still married me. I had surgery to remove the dermoids, but am on a really high dose - Micronor - that does decrease the drive for sure. Not visits from Aunt Flo (unless I miss ONE and then there's hell to pay!)

Crossed fingers for you ...

Let me know if you want more information.
              No... Just No! And I mean it this time!

Comment

July? No, what are you kidding? Honey. Doctor. Now.

Comment

RUN, do not walk to the doctor, IDR. Seriously, there is something not right...
                  *HUGS*
                  The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

PCOS can have not so visiable cysts, i have it and never had a cyst on my ultrasounds.
                    go to the doctor yes and also look for endometreousis, i also have this and it can cause massive cramps around that time of the month.
                    it can also prevent your period because it is when the mentriel tissue to grow put side the uterus.
                    Last edited by Sliceanddice; 02-25-2009, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Quoth TOLady View Post
                      I would have your Dr. check into possible dermoids - http://yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/...moid-cyst.html

I had them and they are excrutiating . I had Auntie Flo visits almost every day for more than 2 years and no one could find an answer, but they manifest in other ways including not having a period.

Dermoids were not apparent during physical examins and only showed up on MRIs and ultrasounds and they were HUGE - 7cm (small lemon) and 11cm (small orange) each!
                      I have a Dermoid cyst and I'm currently waiting for a date for the removal of it. Mine is 6cm and is uncomfortable but not painful. Then again I got no pain with Kidney infections, bladder infections or having the kidney removed so I may be strange like that.

My periods have always been odd but lately they had been worse. I was getting them up to three times a month, never very heavy but annoying. Along side I was getting terrible cramps and generally feeling a bit off. I was going to mention it to the nurse when I got my next set of pills but the nurse decided to rant at me about my weight so I didn't (I'm a bit overweight but not terribly) . Instead when I was sterilised the Surgeon spotted it while he was clipping my tubes.

I was just thankful that I didn't have a cyst like my sister's bf mother which was 2 Stone (28 pounds or 13 kilos approx) when they took it out!
                      As soon as I start thinking
                      That I'm sensible and sane
                      The Random Hedgehog comes along
                      And fiddles with my Brain
                      (from card I got)

Comment

Well, I left a message on my doctor's voicemail. He's really good about returning phone calls (barring any unforeseen happenings like one of his patients goes into labour early and OMG! he has to be there like yesterday). According to their website, they cannot answer medical questions over e-mail so that was out of the question.

I'll just be here, twiddling my thumbs until I can hear from my doc. I'll update with whatever we decide.

Thank you everyone.

Comment

I have PCOS, and I either have a visit from Auntie Flo, or I don't. There is no in between for me, I never spot at all.

I noticed when I started exercising, my cycle became more regular, but it's still wacky.

Glad you called your Dr. - the pain alone sounds like a decent enough reason to at least check with him. I have cramps, but they're never more than I can handle.

It could be a cyst, but it sounds like it could also be something more serious, so running it by your doc sounds like the best idea to me!

Hope you feel better soon!

Phoenix
                          "I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons" - Douglas Adams
                          "If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off . . . " - unknown

Comment

*thinks*

Yeah, you might want to check for Endomitriosis. Some of the symptoms are similar to PCOS, especially in regards to menstruating. I've known a couple women who, because of where the lesions attached, *couldn't* have a proper period until they were surgically removed. Although they were both extreme cases, not at all normal.

I just get to deal with massive cramps and all sorts of fun digestive issues when I'm on mine, or if doc screws up and tries an estrogen/progesterone BC for me. It's the progesterone that causes the problems for Endo patients, because that's the primary hormone that builds up the uterine lining. Because Endo is the result of uterine cells migrating into the abdomen and pelvis, weird things happen during that 14 day build-up period.

Comment

UPDATE

Doctor called (finally!) and said I had to come in for an appointment.

I'll be going to his office on March 3 at 11 AM. He wants to run blood work & have me go for a sonogram. And he, of course, just wants to talk to me to see how things are going anyways.

I hope everything goes well. Now I'm really worried. As soon as he said, you have to come in for an appointment, I was like to myself.

Send me good vibes please.

Comment

Working...
                              X