This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to screw with relatives...

...and yes, those are license plates. I've had them for years--they were originally hanging on the wall in my model railroad room at Grandma's. Then I moved, brought the trains home, and carefully stacked the plates in the garage. They hadn't been touched until tonight, and were pretty disgusting. Since they're in the plate rack, I was *so* tempted to tell my mother to drop by...just to see the look on her face. She'd probably think I'd flipped
    Attached Files
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

My parents used to have the same drawers in their kitchen.

God they were ugly...but then so was the red and black houndstooth carpeting that went with them...
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Is it wrong that I have the original plates on my dad's former car (he gave up the license at 85) that are over 30 years old?

He first got them in '77 and have been on three cars since - with this as the last one (it's a '95).

I wanted to keep them in honour of him.

B
      "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
      I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

One of my friends (& a son's boss) recently transferred his mother's '73 plates to his new Prius "LSD ###".

Yes, he's an ol' hippy.
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I'd *so* like to get a 1970 plate for the MG. But, you can't do that here--they won't let you put an old tag on. If you register a car now, you get those ghastly white/yellow/blue plates. Meaning, if I transfer the title to my name, I'll be losing the old-style (light gray and purple) classic car tag. They'll make me get a new one.

As for the license plates in the rack...most are of the old-style blue/yellow PA tags. Every so often, they'd flip-flop the colors, and issue new ones.
          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Here we have to get all new plates and tag numbers every 7 years. I am so not looking forward to that. I like my plate number but the only way to get the same number is to request that it be made and then it's another $50 on top of the cost of the new plates. They gotta get us somehow. Pisses me off too because you can't opt out of it.

Comment

My friend's father has plates with his and his late wife's names shortened *Jon N Dee from over the years hanging on the wall of the garage. There's this local ice-cream shop that has a bunch of old license plates they have from over the years from different states on the walls. It's so cool!

*changed for privacy reasons.
              I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
              Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
              Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I haven't been to my Godparent's house in years, but they used to have a collection of MD plates from like 1900 (maybe later I'm really not sure) up to the current year.

He had both sets of most of the plates (some he paid quite a pretty penny for too).

I always thought it was neat, but I never had any desire to spend that much money on plates.

Comment

I can't remember the license plates for the cars we had when I was very young, but when I was about 12/13, we owned two Holdens: a Barina and a Rodeo. The license plates weren't the custom ones either, they were the standard ones you get from your local DMV. But they had these on them:

WRM ###

For the Barina. It was subsequently named "The Worm."

WYP ###

For the Rodeo. It was subsequently named "The Whip."
                  The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Working...
                  X