Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you REALLY know where you live?????

GODS I hate snow storms more than ever. as most of you are now aware we in NE Wisconsin had a 6 hour blizzard last Thrusday. For about 2 or 3 hours the visibility was less than 30 feet (if that at times). snowing hard with winds clocking in at 30+MPH.

customer calls in a phone order. order taker repeats address of record back to dumbass. they verifies the address on record as the correct address.

I get the delivery as part of a triple run. I drop my first run and get to dumbass address 20 mintutes after I leave the store (no roads are plowed yet).

the house is dark and no vehicle is in the driveway. I carefully get out of my car and approach the door. I shine my Maglight on the door I see several "offical" looking documents attached to the door. something to the effect of a court ordered eviction. Great trudge back to my car and call the dumbass on my cell. Revelation upon revelation THEY HAVE MOVED about a mile away. let dumbass know how unhappy I am and proceed to take another 15 minutes to get to their location. I thank several dieties that the last of my triple run was only 1/4 away from them. at least they tipped well (as I guilt tripped them during the call)

how stupid/drunk/stoned do you have to be NOT to remember that you MOVED in the last couple of weeks via eviction??

and that set the tone for the night. in spite of a raging snow storm people were just NOT tipping. I had a 11 straight stiffs out of 23 deliveries. I know times are hard but come on........ (not to turn this into a tipping thread)
    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

I can't wrap my little head around psychotic outbreaks of mass pizza delivery orders when there's bad weather. I mean, all local Wal-Marts and grocery stores are ransacked anywhere from 1-2 days before bad weather is predicted to come. Is it possible that all that milk and bread just isn't enough?
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I will tell you this for a fact at least here in NE Wis. where I know you are near:

2 rain drops fall the phone lights up for delivery

2 snowflakes fall the phone lights up for delivery

the temp drops below zero the phones light up for delivery

now mix in a "holiday" such as Valentines Day and you can imagine what it is like (nightmares are included)

Comment

Valentine's Day? Really? Well, I suppose some couples just figured they weren't going to spend hours waiting for a table anywhere that night. My boyfriend and I only waited at Olive Garden for about 15 minutes because there must have been a huge supper rush right at prime time and they all left at once. Our originally forecasted 45 minute wait was greatly reduced to 15.

I feel for ya though. But if you want any good news, in NW Wisconsin, last Thursday night, of all the times I went out for a smoke, I did not see even one car go by with a Dominos or Toppers magnet on the top of it.

But then again, I'd been at Wal-Mart earlier that day before the snow even started, and it was a madhouse.
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post

the temp drops below zero the phones light up for delivery

now mix in a "holiday" such as Valentines Day and you can imagine what it is like (nightmares are included)
          its the same in arizona, they all turn in to pumpkins.
          though you should add, if your boss fired one of his few CSRs and gave both AMs the night off and they are really call able and your down to 4 or 5 drivers about 1 or 2 less that bare minimum if you get a 100 deliver dinner, the phone lines will light up

Comment

then there are the random weeknights where you just go

WTF

the phones light up and you get blasted out of your minds for no discrenable reason. no big event in town. no conventions. no contests or tourneyments. no sporting events, NOTHING

but the phones light up and you are on the go for 8 hours strsight

Comment

I've seen it here in Utah, too. I did pizza delivery for a few years. We'd have big snowstorms from time to time, and it seemed that all the people who weren't raiding the grocery stores (yes, they even do that in Utah where we're used to getting big snowstorms in winter) were ordering pizza instead.

I usually got decent tips, though they'd sometimes complain that it took longer than they wanted it to. I'd just point out that I hadn't been away from my car more than three minutes and would need to go brush piles of snow off of it again before I could leave their driveway. They'd then see just how much snow was on the road and sometimes marvel that my little sedan managed to plow down their street without getting stuck.

My favorite part about those nights was taking orders by phone. After the order was taken and verified and the caller's information was taken and verified, we'd have this exchange...
              Me: And will this be for delivery or pick-up?
              Customer: Oh, delivery, of course! Have you seen that snow? I'd have to be stupid to go driving in that!
              Me: Not to worry, Customer. We're stupid enough to do just that. Your total is $xx.xx, and it will be there in about xx minutes. Have a good evening! *click*
              I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
              - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
              - IPF

Comment

then there are the random weeknights where you just go

WTF

the phones light up and you get blasted out of your minds for no discrenable reason. no big event in town. no conventions. no contests or tourneyments. no sporting events, NOTHING

but the phones light up and you are on the go for 8 hours strsight
                If you ever needed proof of a Collective Unconscious....
                Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

the classic snow pizza (ice, actually)

A friend was delivering for the Noid. She got a call to a sorority house. The argh bit was the girls divvied up teh pie and paid by teh slice- so there was a check for like $.60 for a slice or two of pizza.

But that was made up for by the girl who came downstairs in curlers, a robe, and high heels.

Comment

wait... they got evicted (i'm assuming over rent? or whatever)
                    yet they can still afford pizza and drugs
                    ding ding ding we have a winner.

I can't wrap my little head around psychotic outbreaks of mass pizza delivery orders when there's bad weather.
                    i'm guilty of that.... but i... well i always tip, but they get extra when it's horrible weather.

Comment

Thanks, R_M.

I want pizza and I'm not in your delivery area.

I hope you're happy.

And I tip well, too.
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                        Valentine's Day? Really?
                        It is literally the biggest day of the year at my local pizza joint. And who says North Woodsers aren't romantic?

I hear you Racket Man - I know a few of the drivers for the place above and they were swamped. Took the county decreeing the roads CLOSED to stop the boss man from sending them out.

Comment

Around here people, for some reason, all feel the need to go get in their cars and get out on the road when we get either of these. Although, since we haven't had any appreciable rain since mid-December....

Reminds me that soon, probably today, I'll hear the whining of newly moved here folks of how baaaad the wind is. We're supposed to have sustained @30mph with gusts to 50mph. As far as we natives are concerned, as long as you can still see the mountains, it ain't windy!
                          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
                            Thanks, R_M.

I want pizza and I'm not in your delivery area.

I hope you're happy.

And I tip well, too.
                            sorry

Quoth sms001 View Post
                            It is literally the biggest day of the year at my local pizza joint. And who says North Woodsers aren't romantic?

I hear you Racket Man - I know a few of the drivers for the place above and they were swamped. Took the county decreeing the roads CLOSED to stop the boss man from sending them out.
                            we got blasted on V Day. running a 2 hour delivery and did record sales on top. I was only scheduled for a 2 1/2 hour shift but ended up working like 6

Oh and Pagan even 30MPH or better winds around here are is not the end of the world. maybe combining that with snow or rain might make a difference but not much

Comment

I
                              I try not to call in when the weather is bad, but I did this past year.

The Ravens were in the playoffs (the Packers were not so I could watch and not feel guilty) and we were redoing our living room before the game started.

We ended up forgetting about food until the game had started so I called Domino's.

I hope I saved myself by 1. Apologizing for being too lazy to cook 2. Tipping 35% 3. Inviting driver in to watch the game for a few minutes.

He declined, but since then I always seem to get my pizza really quick when I call in.

Comment

Working...
                              X