Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sucky Customers

Closed Thread

Fairy Tales = occultism
Old 11-01-2006, 12:09 PM
Bookseller wot Rocks

Default Fairy Tales = occultism

apparently...so I was told at great length by a woman who refused to buy her little girl (about 6 or 7 agewise) a book that had a little cartoon fairy on the front. Oh, and the same goes for Dr.Who, Harry Potter, Sci-fi, and anything in which animals speak. So...I'm guessing her kids don't get to see much Disney

Once she'd spent 10 full minutes lecturing me on the evils of fairy tales, she launched into a spiel about how anything listed as fiction was in fact fostering a child's imagination and that was also akin to occultism and therefore should be banned. The she looked at the face of her upset little girl and said
"She still thinks there's a santa too! Who knows why because I refuse to let her live in a fantasy land! There's NO SANTA and you don't get presents at Christmas time! Christmas is for church."

Ok, I can understand people wanting to make Christmas about worship again, but I felt so sorry for that poor kid, she just wanted to read a fairy tale and have a little fun! I don't understand some people.

Old 11-01-2006, 12:38 PM
Snake Handler

Hmm....and here I was thinking Carrie White's mom ended up getting killed by her own daughter toward the end of that book.

That woman is going to be really suprised when her daughter gets hooked on drugs, knocked up, and runs off at 15. Sad.

Old 11-01-2006, 12:43 PM
Heavy Metal Admin

Wow, this mother would put Ned Flanders to shame. Even he let his kids buy a box of candy with a cartoon devil on the box.

But seriously, I feel sorry for that little girl too. And sadly, I have to agree with RK's prediction as well. Being too strict can have just as disastrous an outcome as being too permissive.
Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Old 11-01-2006, 12:57 PM
Area Manager

So, did she tell you what is wrong with imagination in a child?
I thought of Eustace in Voyage of the Dawntreader, "all his books were full of pictures of grainelevators".

Living up to my name...
Old 11-01-2006, 01:41 PM
Bagger

Default Living up to my name...

"...fostering a child's imagination..."

Seems to me that a long time ago a whole lot of people's imaginations were fostered in order for the Bible to be written. Talk about fairy tales...

Oops. Dang those Atheist voices in my head!

Seriously, if you feel as though SNOW WHITE has the power to undermine your religion, it must not be much of a religion to begin with.
If your convictions are solid, you should have no worries.

"No! You can take the kids, but you leave me my monkey." - WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY

Old 11-01-2006, 01:46 PM
Bagger

That poor girl.

Kids should be allowed to believe in fairy tales and Santa Claus.

So is she not allowed to read any fiction books and watch tv or movies. What a sad life.

Old 11-01-2006, 01:53 PM
Bagger

Quote:
Quoth Demonoid Phenomenon View Post
"...fostering a child's imagination..."

Seems to me that a long time ago a whole lot of people's imaginations were fostered in order for the Bible to be written. Talk about fairy tales...
Um...is mocking people's religious beliefs really necessary or relevant, not to mention respectful? I find that just a bit offensive.

Back on topic...It's sad that people can be so close-minded that they wouldn't let their kid watch a fairy tale or get Christmas presents. And, while Christmas is vastly over-commercialized, I had always thought that the gift-giving had religious/symbolic significance, representing the gifts baby Jesus was given. That and the fact that, hey, you want to get stuff for people you care about because getting stuff is fun and it's one way of showing them that you care. Not the *only* way, or the *best* way, but gifts are an expression of love and friendship.

Last edited by Kelly Lynne; 11-01-2006 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Nitpicking over my punctuation

Oops again...
Old 11-01-2006, 02:08 PM
Bagger

Default Oops again...

Kelly Lynne, I wasn't mocking. Just presenting my own humble opinion.
Free speech and all...
I feel the same about all religions, so it's not like I'm trying to offend anyone in particular much less trying to offend anyone at all.

So, if you were insulted, I do apologize.
It was not my intention.
I just have little tolerance for those who make others suffer (their children, for example) all in the name of religion/God/He Who Walks Behind The Rows, etc.

"No! You can take the kids, but you leave me my monkey." - WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY

Old 11-01-2006, 02:09 PM
Bagger

Poor thing. Sad thing is she's probably going to end up juuuust like her mommy.

Old 11-01-2006, 02:15 PM
T. pallidum - the wee rascal !

A quick bash round the head with the Collected Edition of the Narnia stories would seem to be in order for that demented woman. You know, Narnia? With witches, and fauns, and talking animals, and ghosts, and pagan gods, and dragons and magic....and written by one of the greatest Christian theologians of the 20th century?

Personally I think forbidding a child to use their imagination is both idiotic and cruel, not to mention a waste of time. Fortunately i have never met anyone that stupid and small-minded.