This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You have the right to remain STUPID!

This is a sighting due to where it comes from. At the time of it, I was a jailor for a county in north eastern Georgia, spending much of my time checking in inmates. Our jail was small, with barely eighty inmates on any given day. The irony of the story is, after I left working for the county, I ended up working at the place this sighting took place. Names have been changed to protect the stupid.

Daniel was a good kid, he'd just screwed up a few times. So, when it came to his most recent incident; the judge wanted to throw the book at him. However, since the jail was rather full, and Daniel was just a kid...well, he decided to light on the young offender. Daniel was sentenced to serve weekends for two months. The way his sentence worked out, every friday evening, Daniel would call the jail and ask to speak to the Jailor on duty. The JoD would check the jail population, and if he decided that it was too crowded, Daniel didn't have to come in. The time came off his sentence though. Since getting the sentence, Dan had only served one weekend. He only had two or three to go.

What possessed him to do it was beyond anyone's understanding. Maybe he just forgot. That or got careless. In any case, when friday rolled around, Dan didn't call. He didn't call sat or sun either. So, in short order, a warrant was issued for Dan's arrest and the world got quiet.

A few days passed, and then one of the officers commented over his radio that he thought he may have seen Dan's little red blazer. The officer wasn't sure, but felt it was worth a shot. There was a problem.

The blazer was currently parked in the Applebee's parking lot. Not sure what to do, the officer sucked up and went to knock on the door. A young girl poked her head out, saying to him. "We open at eleven if you want to come back." smiling he shook his head and just asked. "Is Dan here?"

The girl blinked, obviously thinking. "Dan? Dan? Oh, you mean Danny? Yeah, he's here. Sorry, I had to think about it, he just started today."

Grinning the officer nodded and asked if he could see him. Dan was produced, and much to his dismay arrested. His blazer sat in the lot a few more days before the manager had it towed and impounded.

I remember, one evening after he was jailed, Dan asked me something.

"Corporal?" he said. "Do you think I'm gonna get fired for this?"
    Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Woah!! Just how many different jobs have you had?
    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

I wana hear the one where he shot JFK.
      "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

Fifteen come to mind right away, not counting MJ12.

They are: (some names I forgot)

County Jail, Paint company, Milliken (textile mill), CMI (textile mill), Mount Vernon Mills (Textile Mill), GEM Industries, Quincey's, Applebee's, Moore's, Lowe's, Fred's, American Woodmark, H&H installations, Juvenile Corrections, Wal-Mart...

I keep thinking there are more, but I'm not sure really. Before you say much, let me note however that other than the mills (where I kept getting a better offer from the competition) and Moore's, Lowe's, and H&H, I was actually working for a Temp Service. So, I guess if you figure it like that then it'd be... six or seven.

Comment

Quoth repsac View Post
          Before you say much, let me note however that other than the mills (where I kept getting a better offer from the competition) and Moore's, Lowe's, and H&H, I was actually working for a Temp Service.
          Ah...OK.
          See, I was thinking you either had trouble holding down a job, or you got bored easily.
          Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

That's the thing about temps. On one hand you get a great deal of experience which is what companies love to see. On the other hand, if you put you worked at a temp service, then often the companies act like they think that's all you're looking for or they treat you like you're expendable. On the other hand, if I list every place they assigned me to, then it looks like I'm a job hopper.

Comment

Working...
            X