X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bloody IRD again

Why oh why must they screw up so much!

I have a small student loan left over from uni about 8 grand or so.

Now the usual interest rate is 7% I believe but the NZ government does not charge you interest if you live and work in NZ so that people can pay the loans off faster. Because of the loan you have to call them if your circumstances change, if you move or get a new job or want to leave the country.

I called them the day I left NZ, Ive called at least 3-4 times since each time updating them on any changes that I think they might need. I have called them many many times because they constantly keep telling me different things/not changing the things I call about (I always call back a couple of days later to have another employee check that the changes have indeed been made). I believe this is my third thread about them now?

The last bout of calls I told them I was immigrating to Canada, on at least two phone calls I made sure they had changed my address to Canada and they confirmed this, one even told me I could no longer ring the main line but needed to deal with the "non-resident" department from now on.

So I get a statement about my student loan the other day saying "we have written off your student loan interest as you have lived in NZ for the last 180 days"

W....T....F

The letter was sent to my address in CANADA

I have confirmed with both the student loan department and the non resident department that they know I have not lived in NZ since last June and that I had no intention to return to live or work (only vacations). I even have a physical letter from them stating that I have changed my address (I requested one because they have mucked me around so much.

and the best part....here is how the letter was address *addressed changed to protect the not so innocent

Kiwi
    1234 Canada Lane
    Canada Town, Canada Province
    Canada A1B 2C3
    NZ
    I have no words.....
    I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

I have no words either, just this: .
    *offers chocolate*
    1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
    -----
    http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

*snerks*

*ROTFL*

I'm sorry Kiwi really I am but that...yea...We have a WINNER folks.

Comment

............of what though?
        1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
        -----

Comment

I don't know yet...we need a new Position! Someone call EQ and WorkHorse...those two tag team it pretty well. We're also going to need GraveKeeper...to give this person a new name to go with their title.

Lets see....who else do we need?

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
            I'm sorry Kiwi really I am but that...yea...We have a WINNER folks.
            I might think it was funny myself if I knew they wont try and charge me for THEIR stupid mistake!
            I'm not even going to tell them, I have spent enough hours on the phone with them.
            I have the physical letters showing THEIR employees mistake

I have a letter stating I notified them....
            I also have a god father who is a chartered accountant who has written letters for me before when they have tried to fine me with mistakes made by their employees.

I can't even be angry, its so idiotic I can't actually bring myself to be mad!

Comment

That's some brazen stupidity right there. Yikes. Glad you've got loads of proof of what you've been doing right, and what they've been doing wrong.
              -----

Comment

OK, I'm confused (as usual). Kiwi, I thought you quit the job at the museum in Canada in order to move to England?

I'll just go back to my pain meds and quit trying to think.
                Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
                  OK, I'm confused (as usual). Kiwi, I thought you quit the job at the museum in Canada in order to move to England?
                  I'll just go back to my pain meds and quit trying to think.
                  Don't worry about being confused, the freaking TAX department cant figure out that Canada is not part of NZ.... your way ahead of the pack

hehehe... that was like two years ago

Since I left the gallery in Canada, I moved back to NZ for a year and worked at a shipping company covering reception when needed and office admin most of the time
                  Then I came back to canada for 3 months, then moved to england for 6 weeks...HATED it

Im back in Canada now, trying to immigrate to be with K on a permanent basis... I haven't actually spent more than a year in one place since I was 18.... Im 25 now.

I don't think many people can come up with my moving around, it took 3 hours, and many phone calls to my mum for me and K to figure out just where I have been in the last 10 years (I had to hand that over to immigration).

If I am allowed to stay it will be very strange to not be a gypsy anymore, I'm a little freaked out by that thought...

Comment

If I get a lobotomy will it guarantee me a lifelong government job?
                    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                    HR believes the first person in the door
                    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                    Document everything
                    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I think you will be alright, from what I have learned and read and researched if you don't have a crazy criminal record, you want to work, can work and contribute they will let you in. Also having a Canadian citizen/resident sponsor you will also help you a lot who is also an upstanding responsible person. I have done my research to go live in BC, your province may differ.

I am a US citizen living with a Canadian in the US who is on a TN Visa waiting for an H1B(for the 3rd year) and we have looked into importing me and my mom(she is my only living family and is not in good health) into Canada if he has to go back to Canada. Since his TN visa is a temp visa and is easily denied and or could be revoked by a pissed off boarder guard at anytime. H1B's are by lotto and its just luck of the draw if he gets one his employer keeps trying for him but you never know. He is also working his citizenship papers sepeartely from the visa process, but its just tiring waiting and waiting.

I wish you the best of luck and I hope this helps even just a little bit.

Comment

Thanks Bosch!

I'm acutally immigrating under the "common law spouce" visa, because K and I have had a continuious relationship for 4 years and have lived together for almost 2 years (our seperations were because of financial and isa issues) my immigration lawyer thinks we have a really solid case.

he said "as a lawyer im not going to say yes or no, but off the record you have one of the better cases I have submitted" so Im hoping it goes through smoothly so I can start working again!

Comment

Working...
                        X