This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a bit of help and support

some of you may remember that I am a Rocky Horror Picture Show fan. I myself have been going for 31 years now.

about 8 years ago I started a Father-Daughter thing with my daughter. after I moved to where I am now we have made the 2 hour trek to Milwaukee to see the cast there (shameless plug for Sensual Daydream the longest running continoius showing of RHPS in the world)

we go 3 or 4 times a year. we always go for our birthdays (hers is 10 days before mine), Halloween (that is a given) and their annivercery show in Jan. I have started to go down in Sept by myself becasue that is MY annivercery of first seeing RHPS.

now on to my dillema. My daughter had a baby boy back in August( a whole nother story). we all know and "love" the stories about bringing 'young" childern to the movie theater even if it is family friendly film. I know how much we all love to have really young childern at movies that are loud, violent, etc. but add into the mix all of the stuff that goes on at a RHPS showing, callbacks, people throwing toast rice and t-paper, water guns being fired, the shadow cast running around, the Time Warp, etc.

Now my daughter wants to take her son along with for the next excursion in May. I have told her in the gentlest manner NO. this would not be an appropriate venue for an 8 month old baby esp with all the stuff going on AND this is the usual MIDNIGHT showtime. so she wants to bundle the baby up at 8pm, do the 2 hour car trip, stand in line, attend the show and then do the 2 hour trip back to home base.

she is still quite insistant that she want to take grandbaby along this next time. at the very worst I can refuse to take her and go myself as I do not want to take grandson at this time. maybe in 12 or 14 years but not now.

any additional advice would be welcomed.
    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

You did the right thing by telling her, gently but firmly, NO.

If she's still young, she's still learning what's appropriate and not appropriate for parenting of a little one. I was young when I had mine, so I can relate a bit. I won't threadjack, but I look back and am appalled at some of the things I would have hauled my baby to if it hadn't been for my mom providing guidance as to what was and wasn't appropriate.

Hold firm. It's likely he'd be terrified of all the 'acting', costuming and loud audience noise at RHPS.
    Last edited by Peppergirl; 03-22-2009, 12:25 PM.
    "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Depending on the theatre, they might not even let the baby in. (Is this a showing of the film with live actors re-enacting in front of the screen?) It is absolutely inappropriate to take a baby to RHPS.
      "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
      Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
        Depending on the theatre, they might not even let the baby in. (Is this a showing of the film with live actors re-enacting in front of the screen?) It is absolutely inappropriate to take a baby to RHPS.
        IMHO, it's absolutely inappropriate to take anybody under puberty to RHPS, and then it depends on the individual!
        Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
          Sensual Daydream
          I've seen them a few times.

I stopped going after a friend of mine got kicked out of the cast, though.
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
          X